Can anyone identify this buckle?

As my old collecting mentor the late Robert Justice used to say, there are two types of things like this: FAKES and BLATANT FAKES. This is neither C.S. nor Civil War-era U.S.N. by a very simple means of detection: these were semi-patterned after what is known as tongue-in-wreath (sometimes, spoon-in-wreath) in which a center piece interlocks and fits within the wreath part - this doesn't conform because the center device is a single piece. Evidently there were no period pieces made in this way, instead being of the two-piece interlocking style as intended, making this one a blatant fake. Of course, it's also possible it's a much later U.S.N. piece.

Thank you very much. One more question- I’m seeing supposed real items that came out of the “Gettysburg Battlefield.” At first thought, I would not think it would be allowed, ethical or otherwise condoned to dig there. I see the battlefields as a final resting place and a place to be respected.

Are such digs allowed if the verbiage on a description alludes that it came from a battlefield?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge-
This is possible though as you speculate, highly unlikely. There is one way, however, it might possibly be semi-truthful: In past decades there were several questionable even if sometimes well-regarded collections in Gettysburg "museums" and tourist attractions located there; after all the entire area including the town was part of the battlefield, meaning anything that came from there was from the battlefield. Later, when some of these places went bust, as all things eventually do, their contents were sold and scattered to the winds; some pieces were genuine relics, while others were dubious at best or outright spurious. For some insight, see my thread:

This is possible though as you speculate, highly unlikely. There is one way, however, it might possibly be semi-truthful: In past decades there were several questionable even if sometimes well-regarded collections in Gettysburg "museums" and tourist attractions located there; after all the entire area including the town was part of the battlefield, meaning anything that came from there was from the battlefield. Later, when some of these places went bust, as all things eventually do, their contents were sold and scattered to the winds; some pieces were genuine relics, while others were dubious at best or outright spurious. For some insight, see my thread:

Great past thread. Thank you for alerting me to it.

It still has value as a WWI USN officer's Sam Browne belt and buckle. It's been a long time since I have seen one. I have the rest of the uniform, not the belt.
Mofederal,
If you are interested it is coming up for auction this Saturday. PM me for the auction info. I have a low bid in as a placeholder but wanted a CW buckle so
....go for it. Regards, Jonl51

You’re right! I saw the shape, anchor and couldn’t make out the critical details. I told my eye doctor it was time for bifocals! I’m very incorrect on this piece and I apologize.

The “grape shot” Should’ve clued me in.
So, @Package4, you’re saying it’s like this one I’m attaching and is SA war era? ( also explains why it appeared reversed to the second piece. )

well, hope the info shared might help someone else. But, I agree, better photos would help. I’m always a little leery of folks who don’t have clear photos as I can’t help but think they’re trying to hide something.

*The photo I found wasn’t correct here either! Probably safer for me not to share photos anymore on this so I don’t keep goofing it up!*
I know how you feel about what you have and I do believe it looks real to me!!! I have a Confederate Brass Flag Staff and the museum paper work info. that came with it. I bought this item over 30 years ago from a very nice old lady and she told me hat her great grandfather brought it back with him after his unit surrendered and he didn't want those **** Yankees have it. Her Great Grandfather Capt. Meeed was in command of the Co. D 27Th. Battalion Ga. Infantry. Does anyone ever seen a Confederate Flag Staff and would anyone know what one is worth???

I know how you feel about what you have and I do believe it looks real to me!!! I have a Confederate Brass Flag Staff and the museum paper work info. that came with it. I bought this item over 30 years ago from a very nice old lady and she told me hat her great grandfather brought it back with him after his unit surrendered and he didn't want those **** Yankees have it. Her Great Grandfather Capt. Meeed was in command of the Co. D 27Th. Battalion Ga. Infantry. Does anyone ever seen a Confederate Flag Staff and would anyone know what one is worth???
There are extremely knowledgeable folks on this forum. I’m not sure where you’d post photos of your flag staff- guys, would it fall under small artillery items because of the metal work?

Pictures please!

Back