Can anyone find records that confirm this story?

Allie

Captain
I've been researching Lawrence William Livingston's family for a while. His brother was with co. M of the 7th TN cavalry, the unit I've been focusing on. Lawrence William had few details about his life, but a bunch of trees on ancestry had his death in 1863 with no sources or details, just "Civil War." Seemed plausible, but I wanted some sort of confirmation and I wasn't finding any evidence of this guy's service, he wasn't with his brother's regiment or any other likely place.

So I finally found this, from of all things a book about the history of Phi Sigma Kappa, which gives a small bio. Finally I have a source that confirms the Civil War death, and I know why I wasn't finding a service record in Tennessee - for reasons still unclear to me, he enlisted in Arkansas.

The only problem is that I still can't find sources that match this story. Brooks' cavalry is just a name for Fagan's cavalry after a personnel change and he is not with them in 1863. He is with the 1st Arkansas but instead of saying he mustered out after a year, his record says "dropped," which is usually reserved for deserters and people who have been kicked out for malfeasance. He does seem to have been an adjutant, but with the 26th infantry, and there's nothing about his death in Fayetteville anywhere. There's a card I can barely read which says he's acting adjutant of Morgan's battalion Arkansas Infantry, which seems to be another name for the 26th. And that's it - no paperwork to do with a death. No grave in the cemetery where the Fayetteville dead are buried. I can't find anything that suggests the 26th were even at Fayetteville.

Can someone help me figure out what's up with this guy's records? I'm including a couple of cards from his two service records from fold3, no need to post additional documents from either of these two service records

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If he failed to be re-elected as 1st Lt with the 1st Arkansas, could he have resigned and thus "dropped from the roll ?"

26th AR Infantry
Organized: on 7/23/62
Mustered Out: 5/26/65
Itinerary for the 26th Arkansas

Jan '63 Feb '63 McRae's Hindman's Trans-Mississippi Department

Apr '63 Mar '64 McRae's/Churchill's Price's District of AR Trans-Mississippi Department

Mar '64 Apr '64 Churchill's/Gause's Arkansas Division District of AR Trans-Mississippi Department

Apr '64 Apr '64 Gause's Arkansas Division District of AR Trans-Mississippi Department Detachmant

Apr '64 Sep '64 Gause's Arkansas Division District of AR Trans-Mississippi Department

Sep '64 May '65 1st Arkansas 1st Arkansas 2nd Trans-Mississippi Department

Back