Camp Pryor near Manassas

kbear

Private
Does anyone know anything about Camp Pryor near Manassas? One of my soldiers that I am researching died at the hospital there on 8/8/61 and I am wondering where he would be buried. Any help is appreciated!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

M E Wolf

Colonel
Retired Moderator
The "O.R.s" don't come up with anything for Camp Pryor for First Battle of Manassas/Bull Run.

The possibility of an officer in charge of a Company, Regiment, Battalion, etc., by the last name of Pryor would be more likely. Or, it could be a farm owner name and encampment there.

Roger A. Pryor wasn't in the area until 2nd Battle of Manassas/Bull Run, at the rank of General. Majority of the time he was near around Norfolk, VA.

M. E. Wolf

Bear1861

Cadet
It's my understanding that Camp Pryor was located along Bull Run on the eastern (Fairfax co) side above Union Mills, which was about half a mile from the railroad bridge across Bull Run. I have the 24th Va Vol Infantry in Camp Pryor during the winter of 1861-2. Apparently they were working on the fortifications of the fort located nearby. Bear

Bear1861

Cadet
They probably took the name with them when they moved. As far as I know, prior to 1st Manassas, the only hospital that was set up was near the junction in what became Manassas. But there was a hospital at Union Mills that winter, as well as a graveyard with several hundred graves markes with small soapstone markers. Apparently it was visible from the train station at Union Mills. The markers were there in the 1880's, but they were gone by WW1. There was a soapstone quarry nearby.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!