"Camp," Pet Dog of Co. A, 14th Rhode Island Heavy Artillery

LoyaltyOfDogs

Sergeant Major
This is just a passing glimpse of a dog who accompanied the soldiers of the 14th Rhode Island Heavy Artillery, an African-American regiment, until the end of the war. I hope we might find out more about him; in the meantime, he can be remembered here. "Camp" appears in a footnote to the roster in the 14th's history, "The Fourteenth Regiment Rhode Island Heavy Artillery (Colored) In The War To Preserve The Union, 1861-1865," by William H. Chenery, published 1898:

"Camp," the pet dog of Co. A, was a pup when they left Providence, R.I., strapped to [Silas] Lyons's knapsack, and remained with the company during its term of service."

Jeff in Ohio

Sergeant
There is a very interesting book by Charles G. Worman called "Civil War Animal Heroes: Mascots, Pets and War Horses" that you will find interesting. The animals mentioned range from the camel wandering about at the siege of Vicksburg to "Old Abe" the Bald Eagle mascot of the 8th Wisconsin to famous mounts of Generals, north and south.

There is a very interesting book by Charles G. Worman called "Civil War Animal Heroes: Mascots, Pets and War Horses" that you will find interesting. The animals mentioned range from the camel wandering about at the siege of Vicksburg to "Old Abe" the Bald Eagle mascot of the 8th Wisconsin to famous mounts of Generals, north and south.
Another book to purchase. Thanks

Jeff in Ohio

Sergeant
Mr. Worman is a fine researcher and military historian, and he told me once that he was always interested in old photos of animals in the Civil War and the old West. He is in his 80s now, and I think he collected this info over the decades, and so you'll find stuff here you won't easily find elsewhere.
I remember one story of a rooster mascot of an Ohio regiment, and he had a Carte de Visite of that Rooster taken at a professional studio in that regiments home town, a photo discovered in a stack of old photos by a person who did not know why someone would spend money on a photo of a rooster, no matter how handsome.
There is also the story of R E Lee's favorite hen, who traveled in his headquarters wagon, and sometimes overnighted in his tent. She presented him with an egg for breakfast from time to time. This pet had a sad ending.

LoyaltyOfDogs

Sergeant Major
Thanks, @Jeff in Ohio. I hadn't heard about this book and will look for it.