Camp Morton in Indianapolis

Thanks for your video. I visited Indianapolis in 2018. My two high school grandkids accompanied their old fuddy-duddy Grandpa to visit the impressive Soldiers and Sailors Monument downtown. Although they live in Indiana, they had never seen the monument. The best part was they were genuinely impressed with the monument and asked many questions about various eras of history depicted on the monument. Fortunately, Grandpa could answer most of the questions with facts and didn't have to lie to make himself look good. It's a good thing they did not ask anything about Camp Morton, because I would have had to make something up like it was where they made salt.

Great video. I believe my Great Grandfather was a guard at Camp Morton with the Veterans Reserve Corps. I have been searching for info about his service but have been hampered due to Covid restrictions at the National Archives and other places. I would welcome any leads you may come across.

There is an excellent discussion on here about the POW camp in Indianapolis with great photos.

I put together a video and incorporated the recent monument controversy.

Cory

A 4 x great-grandfather (54-year-old substitute) died at Camp Morton. William Keen Hulse is mistakenly listed on the monument as William R. Hulse. He had a son that was a Captain in the 122nd Illinois.

Great video. I believe my Great Grandfather was a guard at Camp Morton with the Veterans Reserve Corps. I have been searching for info about his service but have been hampered due to Covid restrictions at the National Archives and other places. I would welcome any leads you may come across.
I pay for access to Fold3.com, I shall see what I can do this weekend.

There is an excellent discussion on here about the POW camp in Indianapolis with great photos.

Cory

Excellent video, Cory, and some very good drone piloting, too! I think I probably posted on the original Camp Morton thread that I visited Indianapolis for the first time some years ago, and we went to the museum at the downtown Soldiers and Sailors monument. There, I saw a single Confederate tombstone in a display about Camp Morton. It was the first time I'd ever heard of the POW camp. The experience was quite touching.

With regard to the monument removed from Garfield Park, do you know where it is now? In storage perhaps? Or re-erected on private property?

Excellent video, Cory, and some very good drone piloting, too! I think I probably posted on the original Camp Morton thread that I visited Indianapolis for the first time some years ago, and we went to the museum at the downtown Soldiers and Sailors monument. There, I saw a single Confederate tombstone in a display about Camp Morton. It was the first time I'd ever heard of the POW camp. The experience was quite touching.

With regard to the monument removed from Garfield Park, do you know where it is now? In storage perhaps? Or re-erected on private property?
I have not been able to find any information on where it was moved for storage or if in fact it was destroyed.

With regard to the monument removed from Garfield Park, do you know where it is now? In storage perhaps? Or re-erected on private property?“

I have repeatedly tried to find out to no avail. I tried a back channel to the Mayor, who was in law school with me, still nothing. My fear is that it was destroyed. A terrible tragedy.

Cory

I was born and raised in Indianapolis, not too far from Garfield Park. I want to compliment you on your video, it gives a very good overview of the history of Camp Morton. The loss of the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument is, in my view a tragedy.

Back