Camp Lawton (Archaeology)

Waterloo50

Major
A very short vid about the discovery of camp Lawton with a few photos of some of the finds uncovered by the archaeologists. I think the incredible thing about the many finds that were discovered, is the fact that archaeologists are able to place specific groups of men within a specific area of the camp.

Last edited:
That really comes at a high price, doesn't it?
Lubliner.
Motion detectors, regular police patrols and security fencing, it’s sad but that’s the world we live in. I’d love to be able to collect rare CW relics and artefacts but id rather let the experts have them. That’s the problem with unscrupulous relic hunters, they dont care about the context of a buried object or how it relates to the surrounding area. Every timed someone pics up a CW relic and doesn’t bother to record its location, a little bit of the story gets destroyed.
I’ve never understood those collectors who knowingly buy artefacts that have been robbed from archaeological sites. Yes, those artefacts may look great their display cabinet but what about the rest of us, what about the lost history, if someone takes an artefact illegall, everyone gets robbed.

Motion detectors, regular police patrols and security fencing, it’s sad but that’s the world we live in. I’d love to be able to collect rare CW relics and artefacts but id rather let the experts have them. That’s the problem with unscrupulous relic hunters, they dont care about the context of a buried object or how it relates to the surrounding area. Every timed someone pics up a CW relic and doesn’t bother to record its location, a little bit of the story gets destroyed.
I’ve never understood those collectors who knowingly buy artefacts that have been robbed from archaeological sites. Yes, those artefacts may look great their display cabinet but what about the rest of us, what about the lost history, if someone takes an artefact illegall, everyone gets robbed.
I agree in a very broad sense until I focus more specifically on human nature. Many relic hunters share their finds on-line, and are approachable under the right circumstances, using proper judgement. It is what it claims to be, 'long lost treasure', and the significance of this particular find is important enough and bears enough value to expend the security cost. This hopefully will return in monetary collateral to sweeten the idea of sharing for public tourism, and bringing a educational profit beneficial to all.
The collector on his own is a significant member of these communities, having to arbitrate successfully the private ownership rights and the responsibility for his venture, making it a worthwhile experience for the parties involved. Too many inexperienced and untrained persons will fly off without learning how. Hopefully they will see the effort and the will of painstaking repetition and know that it is not all sweat and brawn, but an interested endeavor to uncover the secrets of the past. Fringe benefits can be too easily trimmed off and boasting can inflate their worth and it is these we must adjudicate properly. (I think I said that legally).
Lubliner.

Back