Camp Chase Confederate Cemetery

Camp Chase is close to me. My Grandmother's oldest brother died there as a POW, Feb. 14, 1865.
He was only 17. He was captured on the 2nd day at the Battle of Nashville. There was a large influx of prisoners after that battle as most of them was sent to Camp Chase. The winter of 1865 was one of the worst on record. It got to -20F. The prisoners were required to make roll call in order to get rations for the day. Some of the officials wanted to impose harsh condition on the boys because of Andersonvile, GA. Some had only one ragged blanket and no shoes. All types of diseases were prevalent. My G.Uncle died of pneumonia. The ground was hard frozen to dig graves that winter. My Great-Grandfather was born in Circleville , Ohio and immigrated to Alabama in 1830. His sister marred in the Olds family of Circleville, a well known family. (Edson, and Chauncey Olds) Through Edson, my G.Grandfathers family were informed that their son was a POW at Camp Chase. Mr. & Mrs. Olds took a buggy ride form Circleville to Camp Chase with a "care package" of food and warm clothing to the young Rebel. He refused to see his "Yankee" relations and their package. That winter the cold weather and disease and my young Uncle died. He was assigned a grave # but before his interment, through Edson Olds, his aunt claimed his body. It was shipped by rail to Circleville. He was interred at Forest Cemetery in the Olds Family Plot. His gravestone is to the left a my avatar. Year passed and a rumor rolled through Circleville that a Rebel was buried in Forest Cemetery. A proper headstone was ordered in 1938. Today ,through the efforts of the SCV Camp in Columbus, Ohio, Mr Monty Chase (a Descendant of the namesake of Camp Chase, and Mr Jeff Carithers, his grave site is well maintained. Camp Chase has a website that is kept up to date with great information. This a photo looking north at the Olds family Plot and the grave of a young Rebel; Tate R, Driesbach, Pvt. Co F. 7th Alabama Cavalry.
Driesbach  Tate0003.jpg
Looking North (2).jpg

Great photos as always. We need to visit this cemetery. many from my United Daughters of the Confederacy Ohio Division have visited at different times. I just been unable to go.

Thanks, Donna....

This cemetery is located in the western part of Columbus and the neighborhood is shady to say the least.

Plan to visit this venue during the morning or afternoon part of a day.

Bill

I am pleased to report that on Saturday, Sept. 19, the Ohio Division of the Daughters of the Confederacy will have a rededication ceremony at Camp Chase. We have a plaque at Camp Chase. We are holding our convention in Columbus Sept 18-19. It will be my first visit to the Camp Chase site. looking forward to seeing it and to our convention.

I am pleased to report that on Saturday, Sept. 19, the Ohio Division of the Daughters of the Confederacy will have a rededication ceremony at Camp Chase. We have a plaque at Camp Chase. We are holding our convention in Columbus Sept 18-19. It will be my first visit to the Camp Chase site. looking forward to seeing it and to our convention.

Outstanding!

* Caution : Shady Area

Will be going here Saturday with Ohio Division of the UDC. We going to rededicate a plaque.

That is good, Donna. If you know of any Kentucky UDC members who like to compile archives I have found in the Camp Chase archives about as many Kentucky civilians imprisoned at Camp Chase as West Virginia civilians. I am busy transcribing the West Virginians, and as I've thought it over I realized I should have just done all the civilian prisoners as I was going through the records but I'm too tired of it to go back and start over.

The records are kept online at Family Search.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3...i/sord/waypoint/M8VF-PTL:203215501?cc=1916234

This is horrible. I had a feeling they would do something to that cemetery. I am so glad I got there and took lots of pictures. Let's pray that graves aren't desecrated.

People are so full of hate. It is a terrible thing. I hope the ones who did it are caught and punished.

These people have no idea of American History,this is about our history.by damaging or removing statues it will not go away.the ones opposed to them should look at them as reminders that this will never happen again.

There are some which steal. There are some which destroy. But there are some which love to see this world burn.....

Sad!!!

In our city cemetery their was a Confederate memorial not much bigger than a large head stone that had been there since 1941 that I bet not many people even knew it was there and never talked about until a couple days ago. The mayor told everyone about it and said our city doesn't stand for that. Guess what, that night it was vandalized. Yesterday the mayor said that they can't have that anymore and it must be moved. It was gone before the sun came up this morning. Very scary stuff, what's next? I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this away from the monuments thing and get this thread locked but this was in a cemetery and thought it fitting here.

I've been to Chase several times, and anyone who would want to destroy the peace and sanctity of that place of honor is not a person I care go even try and talk to.

As an aside, that statue .is/was what's called a Silent Sentinal. They were mass produced in a couple of places,Cleveland being one of them, availabke in bronze or cast conctete, ordered from a catalog, $450 fob

It's not like it was some special shrine to slavery. Just a remembrance of some sad, unfortunate boys, lonely and scared, who only wanted to go home.

Don't desecrate their burial site and then tell me about your compassion and empathy.

For shame.

Back