Camden Volunteers Flag

Hello all!

I would like to respectfully ask if anyone has any type of information on a possible flag for Co. E 2nd SC Infantry, better known as The Camden Volunteers/Camden Light Infantry/Kershaw Guards. If anyone can find anything at all i would have much appreciation for them!

Thank you for any help!

You might contact the Kershaw County Historical Society and see what they have in their archives.

Ed Wyckoff's history of the 2nd South Carolina might be useful. I am currently away and I don't have access to my research Library.

3033108.jpg

You might also want to check the SC state archives or museum commission. Pennsylvania has a great collection of regimental colors looked after by the state Capitol Preservation Committee with photos online. I think other states have something similar, but can't be sure about the southern states.

You might also want to check the SC state archives or museum commission. Pennsylvania has a great collection of regimental colors looked after by the state Capitol Preservation Committee with photos online. I think other states have something similar, but can't be sure about the southern states.

Yes, NC state archives has quite a flag collection too. In one case I am aware of, a regimental flag badly damaged in combat was presented to the Confederate Governor, and preserved thereafter. I believe the state archive was also the repository for captured battle flags that were returned by the federal government to the states in the early 1900s.

Hello all!

I would like to respectfully ask if anyone has any type of information on a possible flag for Co. E 2nd SC Infantry, better known as The Camden Volunteers/Camden Light Infantry/Kershaw Guards. If anyone can find anything at all i would have much appreciation for them!

Thank you for any help!
Initial color, white; obverse had white palmetto on a blue union and crescent in opposite corner, reverse had designation inside wreath of honeysuckles and roses. These were called double flags made of two layers of silk. Todd Vol II State Forces pp 1176-1180.

This would be the South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum.

They do have the flag for the Williams Guard, Company B of the 3rd South Carolina.

South-Carolina-Confederate-Relic-Room-Museum-Columbia-SC-Oct-2007-13.jpg

Hello all!

Thank you for any help!
Flag of the 1st SC in the Confederate Relic Room Columbia, SC; I imagine that the 2nd was very similar and a double flag, with blue on one side and white on the other with a Palmetto Tree in white on a blue union.
IMG_0702 (2).JPG

You might want to check The Flags of Civil War South Carolina by Glenn Dedmondt. I don't have the book but did do a search on Google Books. Nothing came up in the search, however.

Here is the very beautiful company flag of the Palmetto Guard, Company I of the 2nd South Carolina Infantry.

1ceb80aeeb2d04a212dcb6d8a83c3e85.jpg

Attachments

• 1ceb80aeeb2d04a212dcb6d8a83c3e85.jpg
    1ceb80aeeb2d04a212dcb6d8a83c3e85.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Back