1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Calf's Head And Other Era Vegetarian Delights

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by JPK Huson 1863, Jul 10, 2017.

1. JPK Huson 1863

JPK Huson 1863 Colonel Forum Host

calf h.JPG
    Squeamish our ancestors were not. You had to be a. Frugal b. Hungry c. Committed to the Food Chain to be the young wife eagerly following some era recipe instructions.

calf 1.JPG

cow.jpg

calf 2.JPG

eye.JPG

calf 5.JPG

calf 3.JPG

:frantic::cow::frantic::cow::frantic::cow:

calf 4.JPG

be table2.JPG

Bon Appetite!

Tomorrow, the bride will dismantle a rabbit in two hare raising steps.

cb rabb.JPG

cb hare.JPG

From Beeton's Household Management, 1865 reprinted and edited 1909, 1915, Public Access, Hathitrust

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

These would make you a vegetarian. Hard to think about preparing today.

4. LoyaltyOfDogs

LoyaltyOfDogs Sergeant

The phrase "presentation is everything" comes to mind...

5. Yankeedave

Yankeedave 1st Lieutenant

Somebody, back then, would be going "Now thats a treat! Yum!"

6. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry 2nd Lieutenant Silver Patron

Bleh! :sick: If I have to see the head of an animal I most certainly can't eat it. But back then it was waste not want not, which I understand given living conditions and the lack of grocery stores and butchers depending where one lived.

7. Yankeedave

Yankeedave 1st Lieutenant

Union army in action
    615222226.jpg
    federal-soldiers-shooting-cattle-for-the-supply-of-the-army-usa-civil-FXDCTM.jpg

8. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Calf's Feet Broth from "The Kentucky Housewife", 1839.

Having cleaned a calf's feet nicely, boil two of them till the meat is ready to drop into rags, and there remains one quart of the liquor. Strain it, and season it with sugar, nutmeg, and lemon juice, or you may season it with a little salt and pepper, and slightly acidulate it with vinegar.

This "delight" was recommended as a preparation for the sick. Sure isn't chicken soup. But maybe was good for you.

9. Jackson'sArm

Jackson'sArm Corporal

I have to admire that kind of economy. I'm sure, if you weren't squeamish about it, it would have been quite a culinary adventure. (I think we know better than to eat calf's brains now, though. Thank you, modern science.)

10. JPK Huson 1863

JPK Huson 1863 Colonel Forum Host

When I lived in England- and perhaps it's different now, you did your shopping daily. There was only one ' supermarket ' and a very weird one- we never used it, 30 minutes away. Villages all had ' green grocers ', for vegetables, etc, and the butchers? Front and center was a big, ol' hog's head. SO distracting! I was the Yank ( which means something a lot different when you're an American living in the UK...... ), never saw a hacked-off head of anything before much less the tray of rolled-up, massive cow tongues a in glass case. I never could buy anything.

11. Gladys Hodge Sherrer

Gladys Hodge Sherrer Sergeant

Quick! Where are the root veggies? I would sooner gnaw a pine tree, or die of hunger, than eat such things.

12. suzenatale

suzenatale Sergeant Major

Actually we still give that to our sick, we call it jello

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Gelatin.html

13. suzenatale

suzenatale Sergeant Major

14. NH Civil War Gal

NH Civil War Gal Corporal

Literally, the first phrase that came into my mind was, "run in circles, scream and shout.":sick: Faced with that dish!

Back in the early '60s here in NH, my mother would occasionally go to a tiny, (and I mean tiny) grocer who also had a meat section - much like you saw in England, but without the head - BUT with all the rest. It was horrid fascination on my part but I HAD to go look at the tripe and the hearts on the white, porceline trays.

The only thing that currently exists in a similar fashion is a modern Chinese grocery in Boston (and other major cities). I needed to go in there and while I was waiting for my order to be filled (I was delivering 12 cases of Ramen noodles to a mission), I went to look in the meat section. I found whole packages of duck bills and chicken feet (like what is there to eat on it) and I just stopped looking.

amweiner likes this.
  15. MaryDee

MaryDee Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Guaranteed to turn most of us into vegans!

amweiner likes this.
  16. mofederal

mofederal First Sergeant

Looks alright to me, maybe better than head cheese. I don't boil anything though. Why ruin good meat. The head can be lopped off, Never get Amish meat if you are squeamish, the butcher any animal regardless of what killed it. Everybody did the same then. Organ meats are ok, I like some of them quite a bit. Hearts especially. I mean if you eat scrapple, Pan Haus, head cheese, cup cheese, puddings, sausages. I mean what goes in those is not maybe what you would eat, but many people do. Food fro before and after the Civil War came from a time when people could not afford to waste any food. It is different, but not alien.

donna and amweiner like this.
  17. NH Civil War Gal

NH Civil War Gal Corporal

Besides the yuck factor - it is the immense amount of time in a day used to prepare all this. And if it was summer, the kitchen, whether it was in the house or outside in a building, got terribly hot. No wonder most larger households had either paid servants or slaves - paid servants after the CW, at least up North. My goodness, how could you get into all those dresses, keep changing, take care of children, oversee the house, make calls, if you didn't.

donna and amweiner like this.
  18. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 2nd Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

If it OK, I'll just take a BigMac and fries

19. WJC

WJC 2nd Lieutenant

"Back then"? What do you suppose goes into sausage?

20. WJC

WJC 2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for posting, but I'll pass on today's calf's head. Tomorrow's rabbit looks much better!

21. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

I toured Paris twice, back in 1984 & 1985 and distinctly remember seeing TWO kinds of neighborhood "butcher shops" - the charcuterie and the chevalerie. The former was probably pretty much what you remember from England; but the latter was a distinctly French phenomenon, marked out by the head of a HORSE above the door! (You might also be able to figure out exactly what kind of meat was sold there from the similarity of the name chevalerie to the word cavalry, both of which come from the French word cheval.)

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)