Discussion Caissons & Limbers - The “commonly used” terms and historical accurate information is disconnected. What’s the difference? & history?

SP4Carlisle

Cadet
Greetings. I found a few posts titled
“What is the difference between a Caisson & a Limber” and have almost all answers to be incorrect. I joined your forum to share the knowledge I have about Caissons, their history and to attempt to clarify all the grey areas involving these terms. Most of the posts I have seen here are vaguely correct concerning “common usage of terms”. The true historically accurate being lost in time to most.
Where to begin? Well it will take me awhile to write a lengthy essay, so I would like to begin fielding questions, where should I start? What is difference between a limber & caisson? Ask away

Was there a regulation distance between the limber and caisson on a battlefield?

Most of the posts I have seen here are vaguely correct concerning “common usage of terms”.
I recall a recent thread where someone corrected another person’s post. There is another post about the organization of a battery and all its equipment. But Im terrible at googling these.

Limber - a horse-drawn two-wheeled cart to support the trail of a field gun on the move - it did not carry ammunition originally.
Caisson - a horse-drawn two-wheeled cart to carry ammunition for artillery

By the time of the Civil war, the field artillery limber had an ammunition box which also seated members of the gun crew. (Bumpy ride (!) - no springs)
1660846117002.png

For heavy siege artillery, it remained just as a support for carriage, often with the barrel dismounted and carried centrally to spread the weight better.

Limbers could also be used to harness up caissons as well! It made them easier to handle. They were also used for other heavy 2- wheeled equipment that did not merit four wheels.

In battle, the limber ammunition was 'ready use' and more ammo was brought up in caissons.

Back