Cadet Uniform?

Yes indeed. Very similar to the VMI cadet uniform of 1866.

View attachment 156916 View attachment 156917 View attachment 156918
The sleeve knots on all three of the major academies were/are significantly different from the subject in the original post. All three had almost if not identical sleeve knots which form chevrons across the cuff area and above, with buttons at the base of the chevron. The subject has a very different lower sleeve arrangement (chevron, clover like insignia, with button center and two unadorned buttons).

If we could only get a close up of the buttons, the mystery may be solved, it was certainly not beyond possibility that one of the sons was sent West for schooling.

I'll see if I can't find some cadet uniforms for ..and Austin College.
In addition to the advertisement in post #19, here ya go

Cadet1889_90.jpg

Austin College Cadet, 1889-1890

"A neat and attractive uniform is prescribed," declared the college bulletin. Cadets were allowed to wear their own clothes until their second term. After that they were required to wear only the college uniform. The uniform was government standard, cadet gray, "made by a responsible clothing house," and was deemed "very serviceable and economical." The prescribed wardrobe included: "Dress coat cut after the West Point pattern, worn with cadet collar; fatigue coat, close fitting sack, with six buttons, pockets inside only; trousers with watch pocket only, inch and a quarter wide black strip on outer seam, and cap of dark blue cloth." Only uniforms made by the recognized clothing house and obtained by the Commandant were acceptable. The fatigue suit-coat vest and trousers-cost $15 or $16 according to size. The dress coat at $10, and cap "of best quality" at $1.50, were considered a great bargain. Buttons were cast from a special die, designed exclusively for Austin College
http://aclibrary.austincollege.edu/c.php?g=499546&p=3483883

In addition to the advertisement in post #19, here ya go

View attachment 156933
Austin College Cadet, 1889-1890

"A neat and attractive uniform is prescribed," declared the college bulletin. Cadets were allowed to wear their own clothes until their second term. After that they were required to wear only the college uniform. The uniform was government standard, cadet gray, "made by a responsible clothing house," and was deemed "very serviceable and economical." The prescribed wardrobe included: "Dress coat cut after the West Point pattern, worn with cadet collar; fatigue coat, close fitting sack, with six buttons, pockets inside only; trousers with watch pocket only, inch and a quarter wide black strip on outer seam, and cap of dark blue cloth." Only uniforms made by the recognized clothing house and obtained by the Commandant were acceptable. The fatigue suit-coat vest and trousers-cost $15 or $16 according to size. The dress coat at $10, and cap "of best quality" at $1.50, were considered a great bargain. Buttons were cast from a special die, designed exclusively for Austin College
http://aclibrary.austincollege.edu/c.php?g=499546&p=3483883
Note the floral background.

Thanks a lot everyone, I'll do some more digging into the genealogical records and if I find anything that gives us any more certainty, I'll let you all know.
What a great introduction the the CivilWarTalk community. If I find any more photos that you all may find interesting, I'll be sure to post them!

Founded in 1883 by Iowa native William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody (1846–1917), the traveling show changed its name in 1893 to Buffalo Bill's Wild West and Congress of Rough Riders of the World. It played in Richmond, VA a number of times, including on October 22, 1888; October 4, 1895; October 16, 1897; and April 21, 1899. For the last engagement, Cody employed forty-two Indians as well as American cowboys, English lancers, German Cuirassiers, Mexicans, Cossacks, Arabs, Cubans, Hawaiians, and Filipinos.

Just going to throw this out there, but does it look as if the center figure has a prosthetic arm? The sleeve of the right arm looks way too large and maybe the reason he is holding the basket is a way to conceal the missing appendage? Look at his forearm compared to the cadet's arm.

Another nice catch. It also looks to me as if he has light (blue? Hazel?) eyes, so another clue.

So far, Center Guy = Light eyed cowboy with a bum right arm.

Thanks for all your help!

It is an incredible and strange image, to be sure. I also love the guy in the middle holding what looks like a floral arrangement.

After doing some more digging I can give you a bit more information on the collection. The photo comes from a group of genealogical material given by Arthur and Margaret Mourot (née Thomas). She was a descendent of John Henry Thomas, who fought under Stonewall Jackson and later served in Colonel John Singleton Mosby's cavalry unit, and of James William Jackson, the southern sympathizer who killed Union Colonel Elmer E. Ellsworth at the Marshall House Hotel. The man does not look like the pictures I've seen of James William Jackson, nor did Jackson ever serve or attend a military academy, and I have been unable to find pictures of John Henry Thomas.

It is such a strange grouping of people that the idea of a theater troupe isn't out of the question. While the background could give some credence to the idea, this kind of floral romantic scenery was fairly common for photographers of the time, and we have many examples within our collection that have a similar style.

The Texas connection is an interesting one, and I'll see if I can't find some cadet uniforms for Texas A&M and Austin College.
Thanks again everyone!
Is this your John Henry Thomas, if so it could be the center figure.
Residence was not listed; a 19 year-old Clerk.

Enlisted on 4/18/1862 as a Private.

On 4/18/1862 he mustered into "G" Co. VA 4th Cavalry
He was discharged for promotion on 5/23/1862

On 5/23/1862 he was commissioned into "C" Co. VA 1st Battn Infantry
He Resigned on 9/5/1863
(To raise Company of Cavalry for Mosby's 43rd Battn)

On 9/1/1863 he mustered into "A" Co. VA 43rd Battn Part. Cavalry
(date and method of discharge not given)

He was listed as:
* Hospitalized 5/11/1862 Chimborazo Hospl, Richmond, VA (With diarrhea)
* Returned 5/20/1862 (place not stated)
* Paroled 4/21/1865 Winchester, VA

Promotions:
* 2nd Lieut 5/20/1862 (As of Co. B, 1st Battn Inf)
* Priv 9/1/1863 (As of Co. A, 43rd Cav Partisan Rangers)

He was described at enlistment as:
6', dark complexion, blue eyes, dark hair

Other Information:
born in 1844 in Fairfax County, VA
died 4/24/1898 in Baltimore, MD
Buried: Valley Mills, Augusta County, VA

Interesting

Not this guy - a Maryland lawyer named John Henry Thomas (born July 4th 1824 St Mary's MD, died July 14th 1898 Baltimore MD) who practiced in Maryland for 53 years. No mention of playing the part of a cowboy in his obit.

Also, not this John Henry Thomas

You are dead on about the arm. The way it is bent, the way the basket, flowers are covering the hands suggest it is a fake. I was looking at a blow up of the arm, and it just doesn't look right, a prosthetic arm and hand.

Is this your John Henry Thomas, if so it could be the center figure.
Residence was not listed; a 19 year-old Clerk.

Enlisted on 4/18/1862 as a Private.

On 4/18/1862 he mustered into "G" Co. VA 4th Cavalry
He was discharged for promotion on 5/23/1862

On 5/23/1862 he was commissioned into "C" Co. VA 1st Battn Infantry
He Resigned on 9/5/1863
(To raise Company of Cavalry for Mosby's 43rd Battn)

On 9/1/1863 he mustered into "A" Co. VA 43rd Battn Part. Cavalry
(date and method of discharge not given)

He was listed as:
* Hospitalized 5/11/1862 Chimborazo Hospl, Richmond, VA (With diarrhea)
* Returned 5/20/1862 (place not stated)
* Paroled 4/21/1865 Winchester, VA

Promotions:
* 2nd Lieut 5/20/1862 (As of Co. B, 1st Battn Inf)
* Priv 9/1/1863 (As of Co. A, 43rd Cav Partisan Rangers)

He was described at enlistment as:
6', dark complexion, blue eyes, dark hair

Other Information:
born in 1844 in Fairfax County, VA
died 4/24/1898 in Baltimore, MD
Buried: Valley Mills, Augusta County, VA

There's a great deal of similarity, however, the records we have indicate that our John Henry Thomas was born May 25, 1842 and died August 25, 1888 in Fairfax City Cemetery of Pneumonia.

Just going to throw this out there, but does it look as if the center figure has a prosthetic arm? The sleeve of the right arm looks way too large and maybe the reason he is holding the basket is a way to conceal the missing appendage? Look at his forearm compared to the cadet's arm.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the stranger the arm appears. A prosthetic arm does make sense, however, I wonder if it could be motion blur with the arm moving slightly during the exposure.

There's a great deal of similarity, however, the records we have indicate that our John Henry Thomas was born May 25, 1842 and died August 25, 1888 in Fairfax City Cemetery of Pneumonia.
Do your records indicate what units JHT was in? Dates can always be wrong particularly with 19th century record keeping.

Back