"Cad"

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
"Cad" The nickname for Sylvanus Cadwaller, a war correspondent for the "Chicago Times" and then the "New York Herald". He was the favorite of Union General Ulysses S. Grant, both being quiet men who enjoyed the other's company. (The general was once described as "a man who could be silent in several languages"). Grant, who distrusted most reporters, issued Cadwallader with unlimited passes and gave orders to quartermasters to furnish him with horses and servants on demand. Cad was ultimately empowered to take possession of ships for any trip he required. For his part, the journalist was a key figure in keeping the general's heavy drinking out of the press."

Please Note:
This from "The Language of the Civil War" by John D. Wright page 50. I know some will take issue with the drinking part. This is not my statement but the author of book, Mr. Wright.

Didn't Lincoln, when told Grant was a drunk, ask what Whisky Grant was drinking and said "send it to the other Generals?"
-Or is that more romantic conjecture to Grant lore?

I've seen the elephant by drinking some of that Fuel and don't never want to see that elephant again.
A civil War fanatic here in town makes a White Lightning from an old recipe and has a party each year.
Graveyard class headache in the morning.
I can see why Grant was reported to suffer headaches.
Cured me though.

Back