C-Span Civil War Series

Come on now @JerseyBart

I watched some of the The Civil War Confederate Monuments & Memorials thinking I would get to hear a debate on the pros and con of this matter [I should have looked closer as the video heading says "discussion"]. This was not the case at all as both were in agreement with the only debate seeming to be whether one could outdo the other in promoting their viewpoint.
In some cases what they agree upon is simply wrong (e.g. at one stage one of them said [and I paraphrase] 'From the very beginning the monuments were controversial': I understand from newspaper accounts of the time that the unveiling of many of them were big events with a lot of hoopla surrounding them (e.g. Richmond dispatch on the unveiling of the A P Hill monument - almost two pages of what was then a four to six page paper).

N.B. I admit that I did not watch the whole episode and only got about one-third of the way through it. I would like to watch an informed debate between two academics on this matter.

VIDEOS​

View all videos from this series

THE CIVIL WAR
TV SCHEDULE​

This Week
View/Print

I just got a chance myself today to watch the C-Span USS Monitor Sailors' Burial and it was beautiful and informative. What do you think about finding any more bodies in the wreck? Should they stay buried at sea with their comrades or should they be exhumed if found and buried in Arlington?
Speaking as career Navy, I believe the right choice would be to remain with my shipmates. I trust the attitude of those aboard USS Monitor would be the same. It's a Navy thing.

Back