C.S.S. Hunley

Kurt G

2nd Lieutenant
This is a 1/72 scale model by Cottage Industries . Resin and white metal and fairly easy to assemble . Rigged with thread and EZline. The hardest part was trying to post decent images . No matter what I did the ends were cut off when posted . Painted a light gray based on the famous painting.

DSC_0297 (7).JPG

DSC_0329.JPG

DSC_0322.JPG

Sweet! I've always sort of hoped for a model of the Housatonic, but never found one. Then again, I'm probably the only nerd who's more interested in the ship that was sunk than the vessel that did the sinking. I got interested in the Civil War through the letters of a sailor on the Housatonic, who ended up at Andersonville.

It's funny, the paths life takes you down sometimes....

They come w

They came with the kit . It is a good kit and the dock section was well done .
That's actually pretty cool they included that type of detail. Just picked up a book from a college library (for free) of Chapman's works awhile back. As a big fan of Charleston in general, it was a great find. Great job, as always, on this one.

It's beautiful! It is hard to imagine what tight quarters it must have been during their trial runs and inevitable one and only battle.

When I was teaching a college class one of my students visited the museum and brought back a replica of the twenty dollar gold piece that the Hunley's captain George Dixon had on him at the time of his demise. It was deemed his life saver at the battle of Shiloh in April of 1862. A bullet had hit and bent the gold piece instead of wounding him and he subsequently had it engraved. It says
Shiloh
April 6th 1862
My life Preserver
G. E. D.

Alas it didn't help him in his naval exploits as a sub captain. I treasure that gold piece.

Back