C. Douglas' Civil War Ancestry

William John Mitchell Garrison (1831- not known)
Relationship: 1st Cousin once removed of Rachel (Garrison) Campbell, my the great, great, great, great grandmother, and 2nd cousin of Rosella (Campbell) Duncan, my great, great, great grandmother, who was daughter of Rachel.

Regiments: 108th North Carolina Militia (Confed.), and 60th North Carolina Infantry (Confed.)
Enlisted: 8 July 1862
Mustered Out: 29 Oct. 1862

Possible Actions: Organized at Greenville, Tennessee, during the summer of 1862 by adding four companies to the 6th North Carolina State Infantry Battalion. The men were recruited in Asheville and the four counties of Madison, Buncombe, and Polk, and a small number were from Tennessee. It was assigned to Preston's, Stovall's, Reynolds', Brown's and Reynolds' Consolidated, and Palmer's Brigade. The The 60th fought at Murfreesboro, served in Mississippi, then participated in the campaigns of the Army of Tennessee from Chickamauga to Bentonville. It lost 3 killed, 65 wounded, and 11 missing at Murfreesboro, and in January, 1863, had 276 men present for duty. The unit reported 8 killed, 36 wounded, and 16 missing of the 150 engaged at Chickamauga, totaled 106 men and 59 arms in December, 1863, and mustered a force of 106 in January, 1865. Few surrendered in April.

Thomas Marion Garrison (1841- not known)
Relationship: 1st Cousin once removed of Rachel (Garrison) Campbell, my the great, great, great, great grandmother, and 2nd cousin of Rosella (Campbell) Duncan, my great, great, great grandmother, who was daughter of Rachel. Brother of William J. M. Garrison.

Regiments: 25th North Carolina Infantry (Confed.)
Enlisted: 23 July 1862
Mustered Out: after 28 March 1863

Possible Actions: 25th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, formerly the 15th Volunteers, was assembled at Camp Patton, Asheville, North Carolina, in August, 1861. The following counties furnished companies for the regiment: Henderson, Jackson, Haywood, Cherokee, Transylvania, Clay, Macon, and Buncombe. It moved to Grahamville, South Carolina and remained there until March, 1862. The unit then moved back to North Carolina and arrived in Virginia on June 24. Serving in R Ransom's and M W Ranson's Brigade, it fought with the army from the Seven Days' Battles to Fredericksburg, served in North Carolina, then saw action at Plymouth and Drewry's Bluff. Later the 25th participated in the long Petersburg siege south of the James River and the Appomattox Campaign. It reported 128 casualties during the Seven Days' Battles, 15 in the Maryland Campaign, 88 at Fredericksburg, and 103 at Plymouth. Many were disabled at Sayler's Creek, and on April 9, 1865, only 8 officers and 69 were present.

Robert M. Garrison (1844- 1864)
Relationship: 1st Cousin once removed of Rachel (Garrison) Campbell, my the great, great, great, great grandmother, and 2nd cousin of Rosella (Campbell) Duncan, my great, great, great grandmother, who was daughter of Rachel. Brother of William J. M. Garrison.

Regiments: 25th North Carolina Infantry (Confed.)
Enlisted: 27 April 1862
Killed In Action: 30 Jul 1864 at the Battle of the Crater in Petersburg, VA.

Possible Actions: 25th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, formerly the 15th Volunteers, was assembled at Camp Patton, Asheville, North Carolina, in August, 1861. The following counties furnished companies for the regiment: Henderson, Jackson, Haywood, Cherokee, Transylvania, Clay, Macon, and Buncombe. It moved to Grahamville, South Carolina and remained there until March, 1862. The unit then moved back to North Carolina and arrived in Virginia on June 24. Serving in R Ransom's and M W Ranson's Brigade, it fought with the army from the Seven Days' Battles to Fredericksburg, served in North Carolina, then saw action at Plymouth and Drewry's Bluff. Later the 25th participated in the long Petersburg siege south of the James River and the Appomattox Campaign. It reported 128 casualties during the Seven Days' Battles, 15 in the Maryland Campaign, 88 at Fredericksburg, and 103 at Plymouth. Many were disabled at Sayler's Creek, and on April 9, 1865, only 8 officers and 69 were present.

That's a lot of detailed research and work you've put into finding your Civil War ancestors and their kindred! You certainlly have your nose to the grindstone to come up with that much information. For now researching my direct ancestors was taxing enough for me.

Robert Franklin Merrell (1828- 1888)

Regiments: 11th Texas Cavalry (Confed.)
Enlisted: 1 July 1861
Mustered Out: not known

Possible Actions: 11th Regiment, Texas Cavalry was organized on October 2, 1861 with 855 men at Camp Reeves, Grayson County, Texas, in May, 1861. Some of its members were from Clarksville and Mt Pleasant, and Bowie County. This regiment, along with the 8th Texas Cavalry, was one of the best in Confederate service. It was active in the Indian Territory and Arkansas, then was dismounted when it arrived on the eastern side of the Mississippi River. After fighting at Richmond and Murfreesboro, it was remounted and assigned to Wharton's and T Harrison's Brigade. The unit participated in the Chickamauga, Knoxville, and Atlanta campaigns, then was active in the defense of Savannah and the campaign of the Carolinas. It contained 599 officers and men in the spring of 1862 and reported 7 killed, 87 wounded, and 20 missing at Murfreesboro. Only a remnant surrendered on April 26, 1865.

Benjamin P. Merrell (1837- 1906)
Relationship: 1st Cousin once removed of Rachel (Garrison) Campbell, my the great, great, great, great grandmother, and 2nd cousin of Rosella (Campbell) Duncan, my great, great, great grandmother, who was daughter of Rachel. Brother of William J. M. Garrison. Brother of Robert F. Merrell.

Possible Actions: 11th Regiment, Texas Cavalry was organized on October 2, 1861 with 855 men at Camp Reeves, Grayson County, Texas, in May, 1861. Some of its members were from Clarksville and Mt Pleasant, and Bowie County. This regiment, along with the 8th Texas Cavalry, was one of the best in Confederate service. It was active in the Indian Territory and Arkansas, then was dismounted when it arrived on the eastern side of the Mississippi River. After fighting at Richmond and Murfreesboro, it was remounted and assigned to Wharton's and T Harrison's Brigade. The unit participated in the Chickamauga, Knoxville, and Atlanta campaigns, then was active in the defense of Savannah and the campaign of the Carolinas. It contained 599 officers and men in the spring of 1862 and reported 7 killed, 87 wounded, and 20 missing at Murfreesboro. Only a remnant surrendered on April 26, 1865.

That's a lot of detailed research and work you've put into finding your Civil War ancestors and their kindred! You certainlly have your nose to the grindstone to come up with that much information. For now researching my direct ancestors was taxing enough for me.

Yeah it has taken quite a while, years actually. I am attempting to prove my theory that I think I had at least one close relative at every major battle in the Civil War and to facilitate easy counting. I am posting what I found here, and I am not even halfway done, and only a fraction of my Confederate relatives have been posted. I have ancestors that came from Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, and Tennessee. Many of them had siblings that moved to other states in the south like Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, etc. There are also still a few holes in what I know about my direct ancestors and I know I will find more Union and Confederate relatives when I fill those. For example I have a 4th great grandfather named James Jones (1830-not known), who stops appearing in the records after 1860 and his wife remarries. Odds are pretty high he fought in the Civil War and he vanishes. This is not a good sign for him. I don't know who any of his relatives are or who his wife's relatives are. I am not even close to being done.

Joseph M. Butt (abt. 1843 - 1891)
Relationship: 2nd cousin of Capt. William Campbell, my great, great, great, great grandfather.

Regiments: 17th Mississippi Infantry (Confed.)
Enlisted: 11 April 1861
Surrendered: 9 April 1865 at Appomattox

Possible Actions: 17th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry organized at Corinth, Mississippi, in June, 1861 and soon moved to Virginia. The men were drawn from the counties of Pike, Chickasaw, Marshall, Quitman, Alcorn, Tishomingo, Panola, Grenada, and Benton. It fought under D R Jones at First Manassas and in April, 1862 contained 692 effectives. During the remainder of the war it served under Generals H Cobb, Griffith, Barksdale, and Humphreys. After fighting at Leesburg, the 17th was active in the difficult campaigns of the Army of Northern Virginia from Seven Pines to Cold Harbor, except when detached to Chickamauga and Knoxville. It was involved in Early's Shenandoah Valley operations and later the Appomattox Campaign. This regiment took 600 men to Leesburg and lost 2 killed and 9 wounded. It reported 15 killed and 92 wounded during the Seven Days' Battles, 9 killed and 77 wounded of the 270 at Sharpsburg, 13 wounded at Fredericksburg, and 10 killed and 70 wounded at Chancellorsville. Of the 469 engaged at Gettysburg, forty-three percent were disabled. Many were lost at Sayler's Creek , and only 3 officers and 62 men surrendered.

Robert Franklin Merrell (1828- 1888)

Benjamin P. Merrell (1837- 1906)
Relationship: 1st Cousin once removed of Rachel (Garrison) Campbell, my the great, great, great, great grandmother, and 2nd cousin of Rosella (Campbell) Duncan, my great, great, great grandmother, who was daughter of Rachel. Brother of William J. M. Garrison. Brother of Robert F. Merrell.

None of the Merrells were brothers to William J. M. Garrison. I didn't notice when I was typing.

Joshua Brown (1837- 1910)
Relationship: 1st Cousin once removed of Rachel (Garrison) Campbell, my the great, great, great, great grandmother.

Regiments: 10th Georgia Infantry (Confed.), Company K
Enlisted: 27 June 1862
Wounded: 2 July 1863, Gettysburg, and 19 Oct. 1864, at Ceder Creek.
Mustered Out: AWOL 30 Jan. 1865 in Gwinnett County, Georgia.

Possible Actions: Organized at Jonesboro, Georgia, in June, 1861, and in July moved to Virginia. Its companies were recruited in the counties of Clayton, Chattahoochee, De Kalb, Wilcox, Bibb, Richmond, Fayette, and Pulaski. It lost seventeen percent of the 345 engaged at Savage Station, thirty-four percent of the 174 at Crampton's Gap, and fifty-six percent of the 148 at Sharpsburg. Its casualties were 23 killed and 105 wounded at Chancellorsville, and of the 303 who saw action at Gettysburg, thirty-two percent were killed, wounded, or missing. Only 2 officers and 48 men surrendered in April, 1865.

Tandy Young Nash (1837- 1910)
Relationship: 1st Cousin once removed of Rachel (Garrison) Campbell, my the great, great, great, great grandmother.

Regiments: 10th Georgia State Troops, Company H, and 36th Georgia Infantry (Confed.), Company K
Enlisted: 21 Oct., 1861, as Private, in 10th Georgia State Troops
Mustered Out: 1 May 1862
Enlisted: 13 May 1862 in the 36th Georgia Infanty
Promoted: 13 May 1862, to 3rd Sgt.
Promoted: 15 May 1863, to Jr. 2nd Lt.
Prisoner of War: 4 July 1863 at Vicksburg
Paroled: 9 July 1864 at Vicksburg
Mustered Out: Resigned 7 Nov. 1864

Possible Actions: the 36th was organized at Dalton, Georgia , during the winter of 1861-1862 with many officers and men from the Dalton area. It was sent to Tennessee, then moved to Mississippi where it served in T H Taylor's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. The regiment fought at Champion's Hill and was captured at Vicksburg on July 4, 1863. After being exchanged and brigaded under General Cummings, it fought with the Army of Tennessee from Chattanooga to Nashville, and ended the war in North Carolina. The unit was organized with 930 men, reported 43 casualties at Chattanooga, and totalled 267 men and 213 arms in December, 1863. In January, 1865, when it was consolidated with the 56th Regiment, 232 were present for duty. Few surrendered on April 26.

Marshall Rufus Stansberry (1831 - 1864)
Relationship: 1st Cousin of Rachel (Garrison) Campbell, my the great, great, great, great grandmother.

Regiments: 33rd Mississippi Infantry (Confed.), Company H
Enlisted: 1 March 1862
Mortally Wounded:either at the Battle of New Hope Church which occurred from May 25th and 26th of 1864, or in the Battle of Dallas, in a fight that occurred on the 31st of May.
Mustered Out: died of wounds around 31 May 1864

Possible Actions: organized late in 1861, contained men from Amite, Wilkinson, Leake, Franklin, and Pike counties. The unit fought at Corinth and Hatchie Bridge, then was assigned to General Rust's and Featherston's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. It took part in various engagements during the Vicksburg siege and for a time was stationed at Jackson. Continuing under the command of General Featherston, the 33rd served with the Army of Tennessee through the Atlanta Campaign and in Tennessee and North Carolina. It lost 16 killed, 83 wounded, and 54 missing at Peach Tree Creek, had 85 officers and men fit for duty in December, 1864, and surrendered on April 26, 1865.

Last edited:
Great job. You compiled a lot of info. Its always interesting to see ancestors who served in same unit or battles. I counted about 5 who were in the “Mud March”— which I need to learn about.
The 6th Illinois Cavalry campaigned all around this area of N. Miss & W Tenn. They made several visits to my town and had roles in both battles here.
Do you know which company your relative In the 17th Mississippi served in?

Joseph M. Butt (abt. 1843 - 1891)
Relationship: 2nd cousin of Capt. William Campbell, my great, great, great, great grandfather.

Regiments: 17th Mississippi Infantry (Confed.)
Enlisted: 11 April 1861
Surrendered: 9 April 1865 at Appomattox

Possible Actions: 17th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry organized at Corinth, Mississippi, in June, 1861

I had to check the answer to my question.
He was in Company B.
{Edited}
Company B was recruited out of Holly Springs, Marshall County. I looked at 1860 Census and found only a few BUTT names in all of Mississippi. None were a match. Two or three were single men and one family.

At Spotsylvania, Joseph Butt was appointed Sergeant-Major.
SgtMajor-Butt.JPG

Last edited:
I had to check the answer to my question.
He was in Company B.
{Edited}
Company B was recruited out of Holly Springs, Marshall County. I looked at 1860 Census and found only a few BUTT names in all of Mississippi. None were a match. Two or three were single men and one family.

At Spotsylvania, Joseph Butt was appointed Sergeant-Major.
View attachment 369149

You want to search for Joseph Butts. Here is the 1860 Census.

Name:
Joseph Butts
Event Type:
Census
Event Date:
Event Place:
Ward 1 Hollysprings City, Marshall, Mississippi, United States
Event Place (Original):
Ward 1 Hollysprings City, Marshall, Mississippi, United States
Race:
White
Birth Year (Estimated):
Birthplace:
Mississippi

Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Arther Butts Male 49 Tennessee
Mary J Butts Female 48 Tennessee
William Butts Male 22 Tennessee
James Butts Male 19 Mississippi
Joseph Butts Male 16 Mississippi
Mariah Butts Female 12 Mississippi
Cyrus Butts Male 9 Mississippi
Charles Butts Male 4 Mississippi
Arther Butts Male 0 Mississippi

Solomon Garrison (1843- 1915)

Regiments: 39th Tennessee Mounted Infantry (Confed.), Company I
Enlisted: 28 March 1862
Mustered Out: Don't know

Possible Actions: 39th Regiment, Tennessee Mounted Infantry, formerly the 31st (W M Bradford's) Regiment organized in March, 1862, and in April contained 363 effectives. It members were from the counties of Sevier, Blount, Jefferson, Hawkins, McMinn, Greene, and Monroe. For a time the unit served in the Department of East Tennessee, then was attached to A W Reynolds' Brigade in the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. A detachment of the 39th captured the Federal gun boats Queen of the West and Indianola, and later the regiment spent forty-seven days in the trenches of Vicksburg where it was captured on July 4, 1863. After being exchanged and reorganized as mounted infantry, it was assigned to General Vaughn's Brigade. The unit contained 272 effectives April, 1864, moved to the Valley of Virginia, and lost forty-one percent of the 118 engaged at Piedmont. Later it participated in various engagements and surrendered at Asheville, North Carolina, on April 26, 1865.

George Newton Johnson (1832- don't know)

Regiments: 18th Illinois Infantry, Company K
Enlisted: 21 March 1865
Promoted: 6 Aug. 1865
Mustered Out: 16 Dec. 1865

Possible Actions: Duty at Little Rock, Pine Bluff and Duvall's Bluff, Ark., till December, 1865. Expedition from Pine Bluff to Mt. Elba and Longview March 27-31, 1864. Actions at Mt. Elba March 28 and 30. Non-Veterans mustered out May 28, 1864. Regiment mustered out at Little Rock, Ark., December 16, and discharged, at Camp Butler, Ill., December 31, 1865.

William H. Johnson (1840-1924)

Regiments: 87th Illinois Infantry, Company I
Enlisted: 15 Aug. 1862
Mustered In: 22 Sept. 1862, as Sgt.
Promoted: 1 March 1864
Mustered Out: 16 June 1865

Possible Actions: Duty at Memphis, Tenn., till May, 1863. Moved to Vicksburg, Miss., May 9-11. Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., May 18-July 4. Assault on Vicksburg May 22. Surrender of Vicksburg July 4. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 4-10. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. Moved to Natchez, Miss., July 25; thence to New Orleans, La., August 10. Western Louisiana Campaign October 3-November 30. Regiment mounted in November. Washington, La., October 31. Grand Coteau November 3. Vermillionville November 11. Camp Pratt November 20. Grosse Tete Bayou February 19, 1864. Banks' Red River Campaign March 10-May 22, 1864. Advance from Franklin to Alexandria March 14-26. Monett's Ferry and Cloutiersville March 29-30. Natchitoches March 31. Wilson's Farm April 7. Sabine Cross Roads April 8. Pleasant Hill April 9. Retreat to Alexandria April 10-26. About Cloutiersville April 22-24. Monett's Ferry, Cane River Crossing, April 23. Occupation of Alexandria April 26-May 13. Wilson's Landing May 2. Retreat to Morganza May 13-20. Avoyello, or Marksville Prairie, May 15. Mansura May 16. Yellow Bayou May 18. At Morganza, and on steamer Baltic, Marine Brigade, May to September. Scouting in Bayous between Mississippi, Atchafalaya and Red Rivers and Bayou Plaquemine. Expedition from Morganza to the Atchafalaya May 30-June 5. Livonia May 30. Near Morganza June 4. Bayou Grosse Tete June 19. Atchafalaya July 21. Scout from Morganza August 10-12. Bayou Lotsworth August 11. Operations near Morganza September 16-25. Williamsport September 16. Moved to mouth of White River, Ark., September 4, and duty there till January, 1865. 3 Companies at St. Charles. Moved to Helena, Ark., and duty there till June. Scout from Helena to Madison, Ark., February 8-13. Friar's Point February 10. Skirmish near Madison February 12. Scout from Helena to Clark's Store February 24 (Detachment). Mustered out June 16, 1865. Regiment lost during service 1 Officer and 15 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 Officers and 219 Enlisted men by disease. Total 238.

Virgil L. Hearin (or Herrin) (1842-1899)

Regiments: 122nd Illinois Infantry, Company A
Enlisted: 9 Aug. 1862
Mustered In: 4 Sept. 1862, as Pvt.
Promoted: to Corporal, don't know when
Mustered Out: 16 July 1865

Possible Actions:
Right Wing of Regiment moved from Trenton, Tenn., to Humboldt, Tenn., November 12, 1862, to hold Mobile & Ohio R. R. from Trenton to Jackson. Regiment moved to Jackson, Tenn., December 18, 1862. Operations against Forest in West Tennessee December 18, 1862, to January 3, 1863. Action at Salem Cemetery, near Jackson, December 19, 1862. Parker's Cross Roads December 30. Battle of Red Mound (or Parker's Cross Roads) December 31. At Trenton, Tenn., till February 17. Moved to Corinth, Miss., February 17, and duty there till June 25. Dodge's Expedition to Northern Alabama April 15-May 8. Rock Creek, near Tuscumbia, April 22. Tuscumbia April 23. Town Creek April 28. Guard Memphis & Charleston R. R. from Middletown to Grand Junction, with Headquarters at Salisbury, Tenn., June 25 to October 31, 1863. Moved to Iuka, Miss., October 31-November 1; thence to Eastport, Miss., November 5, and duty there till December 8. Moved to Paducah, Ky., December 8, and duty there till January 18, 1864. Moved to Cairo, Ill., January 18, and duty there till June. Operations against Forest in West Tennessee and Kentucky March 16-April 14. Repulse of Forest's attack on Paducah, Ky., March 25 (Cos. "C," "H," "K"). Moved to LaGrange, Tenn., June 26-July 3. Smith's Expedition to Tupelo, Miss., and return to Memphis, Tenn., July 5-21. Battle of Harrisburg, near Tupelo, July 14-15. Old Town Creek July 15. Smith's Expedition to Oxford, Miss., August 1-30. Moved to St. Louis, Mo., September 8. Pursuit of Price through Missouri September to November. Moved to Nashville, Tenn., November 25-December 1. Battles of Nashville December 15-16. Pursuit of Hood to the Tennessee River December 17-28. Moved to Eastport, Miss., and duty there till February, 1865. Movement to New Orleans, La., February 9-21; thence to Dauphin Island, Ala., March 6. Campaign against Mobile and its defences March 22-April 12. Siege of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely March 26-April 8. Assault and capture of Fort Blakely April 9. March to Montgomery April 13-26, and duty there till June 5. Moved to Mobile June 5, and duty there till July 15. Mustered out at Mobile July 15 and discharged at Springfield, Ill., August 4, 1865. Regiment lost during service 2 Officers and 38 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 121 Enlisted men by disease. Total 161.

Ellis Hearin (or Herrin) (1839-1865)
Relationship: 1st Cousin once removed of Rachel (Garrison) Campbell, my the great, great, great, great grandmother. Brother of Virgil Herrin.

Regiments: 49th Illinois Infantry, Company E
Enlisted: 20 Nov. 1861
Mustered In: 30 Dec. 1861, as Pvt.
Died of Disease: 15 Feb. 1865, probably at Paducah, Kentucky.

Possible Actions:
Investment and capture of Fort Donelson, Tenn., February 12-16, 1862. Moved to Savannah, thence to Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., March 5-25. Battle of Shiloh, Tenn., April 6-7. Advance on and siege of Corinth, Miss., April 29-May 30. March to Bethel, Tenn., June 4, and Post duty there till March, 1863. Moved to Germantown and White's Station, Tenn., March 10-12, and guard R. R. till August 10. Moved to Memphis, Tenn., thence to Helena and Brownsville, Ark., August 21-September 2. Steele's Expedition against Little Rock September 2-10. Bayou Fourche and capture of Little Rock September 10. Moved to Duvall's Bluff, thence to Memphis, Tenn., November 15-21, and duty there till January, 1864. Regiment veteranize January 15, 1864. Moved to Vicksburg, Miss., January 27-February 2. Meridian Campaign February 3-March 2. Red River Campaign March 10-May 22. Fort De Russy March 14. Occupation of Alexandria March 16. Battle of Pleasant Hill April 9. About Cloutiersville, Cane River, April 22-24. Occupation of Alexandria April 26-May 13. Governor Moore's Plantation and Bayou Roberts May 3-7 and 11. Retreat to Morganza May 13-20. Mansura May 16. Yellow Bayou May 18. Moved to Vicksburg, Miss., thence to Memphis, Tenn., May 22-June 10. Old River Lake (or Lake Chicot), Ark., June 6. Skirmish near Lafayette June 29. Smith's Expedition to Tupelo, Miss., July 5-21. Near Camargo's Cross Roads, Harrisburg, July 13. Harrisburg, near Tupelo, July 14-15. Tishamingo Creek (or Old Town), July 15. Expedition to Oxford, Miss., August 1-30. Hurricane Creek August 13-14. Abbeville August 23. Moved to Jefferson Barracks, Mo., and in pursuit of Price through Missouri September to November. Franklin, Mo., October 1 and October 30. Moved from St. Louis, Mo., to Nashville, Tenn., November 21-December 1. Battle of Nashville, Tenn., December 15-16. Pursuit to Tennessee River December 17-28. Ordered to Paducah, Ky., December 29, and garrison duty there till September, 1865. Mustered out September 9, 1865. Regiment lost during service 7 Officers and 72 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 5 Officers and 170 Enlisted men by disease. Total 254.

Samuel M. Porter (1823-don't know)
Relationship: 1st Cousin of John Porter, my great, great, great, great grandfather.

Regiments: 3rd Maryland Potomac Home Brigade Infantry Regiment, Company I
Enlisted: 26 March 1864
Mustered In: 26 March 1864
Mustered Out: 29 May 1865

Possible Actions: At Annapolis, Relay Station, Annapolis Junction and Monocacy till July, 1864. Operations against Early's invasion of Maryland July, 1864. Frederick City July 7-8. Battle of Monocacy July 9. Pursuit of Early till July 30. Snicker's Gap July 18. Bolivar Heights August 6. Halltown August 8. Charlestown August 9. Berryville August 13. Duty in the District of Harper's Ferry, W. Va., till May, 1865. Ordered to Baltimore, Md., May 12, and mustered out May 29, 1865.

George Clise (1844-don't know)
Relationship: 1st Cousin once removed of John Porter, my great, great, great, great grandfather.

Regiments: 3rd Maryland Potomac Home Brigade Infantry Regiment, Company I
Enlisted: 30 March 1864
Mustered In: 30 March 1864
Mustered Out: 29 May 1865

Possible Actions: At Annapolis, Relay Station, Annapolis Junction and Monocacy till July, 1864. Operations against Early's invasion of Maryland July, 1864. Frederick City July 7-8. Battle of Monocacy July 9. Pursuit of Early till July 30. Snicker's Gap July 18. Bolivar Heights August 6. Halltown August 8. Charlestown August 9. Berryville August 13. Duty in the District of Harper's Ferry, W. Va., till May, 1865. Ordered to Baltimore, Md., May 12, and mustered out May 29, 1865.

Henry Ayers (1842-1907)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of John Porter, my great, great, great, great grandfather.

Regiments: 3rd Maryland Potomac Home Brigade Infantry Regiment, Company A
Enlisted: 12 Sept. 1861
Mustered In: 12 Sept. 1861
Prisoner of War: 29 June 1862 at Moorefield, Virginia
Paroled: 29 June 1862 at Moorefield, Virginia
Mustered Out: 12 Sept. 1864

Possible Actions: Assigned to duty as railroad guard on Upper Potomac in Maryland and Virginia. Action at Grass Lick, W. Va., April 23, 1862. Wardensville May 7. Franklin May 10-12. Moorefield June 29. Siege of Harper's Ferry, W. Va., September 12-15. Surrendered September 15. Paroled September 16 and sent to Annapolis, Md. Duty at Annapolis and in the Defences of Baltimore till June, 1863. Guard Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, June 28-July 10. At Annapolis, Relay Station, Annapolis Junction and Monocacy till July, 1864. Operations against Early's invasion of Maryland July, 1864. Frederick City July 7-8. Battle of Monocacy July 9. Pursuit of Early till July 30. Snicker's Gap July 18. Bolivar Heights August 6. Halltown August 8. Charlestown August 9. Berryville August 13. Duty in the District of Harper's Ferry, W. Va.

Last edited:
Cornelius Ayers (1836-1865 after the war)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of John Porter, my great, great, great, great grandfather, brother of Henry Ayers.

Regiments: 1st Maryland Cavalry (Union), Company G
Enlisted: 25 Aug. 1861
Mustered In: 25 Aug., 1861
Mustered Out: 8 Aug., 1865

Possible Actions: Action at Greenbrier, W. Va., October 3, 1861 (Co. "G"). Ball's Bluff, Va., October 21, 1861 (Detachment). Stone's Cross Roads, Ball's Bluff, Bath and Alpine Station, January 4, 1862 (Cos. "G," "H" and "I"). Regiment at Baltimore, Md., till March, 1862. Operations in Shenandoah Valley March to June. Advance on Winchester March 7-15. Pursuit of Jackson up the Valley. Retreat to Williamsport, Md., May 24-26. Middletown May 24 (Cos. "A," "B," "C," "G" and "I"). (Cos. "D," "F," "H," "K" and "L" arrive at Harper's Ferry, W. Va., May 25. Winchester May 25 (Cos. "A," "B," "C," "G" and "I"). Charlestown May 28. Near Harper's Ferry June 9. Expedition to Madison Court House, Culpeper And Orange Court Houses July 12-17. Near Culpeper July 12. Rapidan Station July 13. Madison Court House August 8. Battle of Cedar Creek August 9. Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2. Fords of the Rappahannock August 21-23. Fauquier, White Sulphur Springs, August 23-24. Gainesville August 28. Groveton August 29. Bull Run August 30. Chantilly September 1. Frederick, Md., September 6. Boonsboro, Md., September 7. Near Boonsboro September 10. Culpeper September 14. Sharpsburg September 15. Rapidan Station September 16. Duty in the Defences of the Upper Potomac covering Washington, D. C., till December. Manassas, Va., October 23-24. Affair opposite Williamsport October 29 (Detachment). Reconnoissance from Bolivar Heights to Rippon, W. Va., November 9 (2 Cos.). Reconnoissance to Winchester December 2-6 (Detachment). Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15. Dumfries December 27. Duty in the defences of the Upper Potomac till April, 1863; near Cumberland, Md., Grove Church, near Morrisville, January 26. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Stoneman's Raid April 27-May 8. South Anna Bridge, near Ashland, May 3. Brandy Station, or Fleetwood, and Beverly Ford, June 9. Aldie June 17. Frederick, Md., June 21 (Detachment). Upperville June 23. Middleburg June 25. Westminster June 30. Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3. Emmettsburg July 4-6. Middletown July 5. Leitersburg July 7. Cavetown July 8. Hagerstown and Old Antietam Forge, near Leitersburg, July 10. Shepherdstown July 14 and 16. Beverly Ford September 6. Advance from the Rappahannock to the Rapidan September 13-17. Culpeper Court House September 13. Rapidan Station September 13 and 15-16. Raccoon Ford September 15. White's Ford September 21. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Germania Ford and James City October 10. Near Warrenton October 11. White Sulphur Springs October 12-13. Bristoe Station October 14. Near Centreville and Brentsville October 14. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. Grove Church, near Morrisville, November 26. Parker's Store November 29. Duty in Middle Department till June, 1864. Princeton May 6. Jeffersonville May 8. Wier Bottom Church, on Bermuda Hundred Front, Va., June 16-17. Richmond and Petersburg R. R. June 19. Deep Bottom July 21. New Market Heights July 27-28. Strawberry Plains, north of the James, August 14-18. Flusser's Mills August 14. Deep Run August 16-18. Siege of Petersburg August 25-September 27. Battle of Chaffin's Farm September 28-30. New Market Heights October 7. Darbytown Road October 13. Fair Oaks October 27-28. Smithfield December 7. Duty before Richmond to March, 1865. Scout to Long and Bottom's Bridge January 30, 1865. Expedition to Fearnsville and Smithfield February 11-15. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Dinwiddie Court House March 30-31. Five Forks April 1. Sutherland Station April 2. Burgess Mills April 3. Deep Creek April 4. Amelia Court House April 5. Sailor's Creek and Harper's Farm April 6. Farmville April 6-7. Appomattox Court House April 9. Surrender of Lee and his army. March to Danville April 23-29. Duty in the Department of Virginia till August. Mustered out August 8, 1865. Regiment lost during service 3 Officers and 65 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 Officers and 130 Enlisted men by disease. Total 201.

Ezekiel Ayers (1834-1903)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of John Porter, my great, great, great, great grandfather, brother of Henry Ayers.

Regiments: 4th West Virginia Infantry, Company A
Enlisted: 15 July 1861
Mustered In: 15 July 1861
Mustered Out: 20 July 1864

Possible Actions: Skirmish at Grafton, W. Va., August 13, 1861 (Co. "A"). Moved up the Kanawha Valley August 22. Operations in the Kanawha Valley and New River Region October 19-November 16. Mill Creek Mills October 26. At Ceredo till January, 1862. March to Louisa Court House and operating with Garfield in operations against Humphrey Marshall in Eastern Kentucky January, 1862. March up the Kanawha Valley to join Gen. Cox April 3. At Flat Top Mountain till August. Operations about Wyoming Court House August 2-8. Beech Creek August 6. Campaign in the Kanawha Valley September 2-16. Repulse of Loring's attack on Fayetteville September 10. Cotton Hill and Charlestown September 11. Gauley Ferry September 11. Gauley Bridge September 12. Charlestown September 12-13. At Point Pleasant till October 19. Bulltown, Braxton County, October 3. Salt Lick Bridge October 14. Expedition up the Kanawha Valley to Charlestown October 21-November 10. At Fayetteville till December 30. Ordered to Napoleon, Ark., thence to Young's Point, La., January 21, 1863, and duty there till March. Expedition to Rolling Fork via Muddy, Steele's and Black Bayous and Deer Creek March 14-27. At Milliken's Bend till April. Expedition to Black Bayou April 5-10. Demonstration against Haines and Drumgould's Bluffs April 29-May 2. Moved to join army in rear of Vicksburg, Miss., via Richmond and Grand Gulf May 2-14. Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., May 18-July 4. Assaults on Vicksburg May 19 and 22. Surrender of Vicksburg July 4. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 5-10. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. At Big Black River till September 26. Moved to Memphis, Tenn., thence march to Chattanooga, Tenn., September 26-November 20. Operations on Memphis & Charleston Railroad in Alabama October 20-29. Brier Creek, Tuscumbia, October 27. Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23-27. Tunnel Hill November 23-24. Mission Ridge November 25. Pursuit to Graysville November 26-27. March to relief of Knoxville, Tenn., November 28-December 8. Regiment re-enlisted February 3, 1864, and Veterans on furlough March 15 to May 3. Joined Hunter at Cedar Creek, W. Va., May. Hunter's Expedition to Lynchburg, Va., May 26-July 1. Piedmont , Mt. Crawford, June 5. Occupation of Staunton June 6. Lynchburg June 17-18. Retreat to Martinsburg June 18-July 1. Moved to the Shenandoah Valley, Snicker's Gap, July 17-18. Regiment lost during service 3 Officers and 80 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 156 Enlisted men by disease. Total 241.

Salem V. Ayers (1827-1864)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of John Porter, my great, great, great, great grandfather, 1st cousin to Ezekiel, Cornelius, and Henry Ayers.

Regiments: 11th West Virginia Infantry, Company C
Enlisted: 22 Dec. 1861
Prisoner Of War: 13 Oct. 1863, at Bulltown
Died of Disease: 7 May 1864 or 11 Aug., 1864, at Andersonville, Georgia, buried in the Andersonville National Cemetery.

Possible Actions: Duty at Parkersburg and guarding Baltimore & Ohio Railroad through counties south of line from Jackson County to Lewis County till June, 1863. Skirmishes at Arnoldsburg and Camp McDonald, W. Va., May 6, 1862. Scout to Roane and Clay Counties May 8-21. Big Bend June 4. Mouth West Fork June 10. Glenville September 1. Spencer Roane Court House September 2. Operations against Jones' Raid on Baltimore & Ohio Railroad April 21-May 21, 1863. Duty on the Upper Potomac till August. West Union May 6, 1863 (1 Co.). Elizabeth Court House May 16. At Parkersburg, Clarksburg, Grafton, Sutton, Bulltown and Beverly guarding Baltimore & Ohio Railroad till April, 1864. Operations against Morgan July 2-26, 1863. Glenville August 21, 1863 (Cos. "C," "H"). Near Glenville August 27, 1863 (Cos. "C," "H"). Skirmish at Beech Fork, Calhoun County, September 8, 1863. Roane County September 12. Bulltown, Braxton County, October 13.

Michael Ashford Ayers (1838-1864)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of John Porter, my great, great, great, great grandfather, 1st cousin to Ezekiel, Cornelius, and Henry Ayers, brother of Salem Ayers.

Regiments: 11th West Virginia Infantry, Company C and A
Enlisted: 22 Dec. 1861
Mustered In: 22 Dec. 1861, as Sergeant
Promoted: 7 Sept. 1864, to 2nd Lt.
Promoted: 25 Jan. 1865, to 1st Lt., transferred to Company A
Promoted: 14 Feb. 1865, to Major
Mustered Out: 17 June 1865

Possible Actions: Duty at Parkersburg and guarding Baltimore & Ohio Railroad through counties south of line from Jackson County to Lewis County till June, 1863. Skirmishes at Arnoldsburg and Camp McDonald, W. Va., May 6, 1862. Scout to Roane and Clay Counties May 8-21. Big Bend June 4. Mouth West Fork June 10. Glenville September 1. Spencer Roane Court House September 2. Operations against Jones' Raid on Baltimore & Ohio Railroad April 21-May 21, 1863. Duty on the Upper Potomac till August. West Union May 6, 1863 (1 Co.). Elizabeth Court House May 16. At Parkersburg, Clarksburg, Grafton, Sutton, Bulltown and Beverly guarding Baltimore & Ohio Railroad till April, 1864. Operations against Morgan July 2-26, 1863. Glenville August 21, 1863 (Cos. "C," "H"). Near Glenville August 27, 1863 (Cos. "C," "H"). Skirmish at Beech Fork, Calhoun County, September 8, 1863. Roane County September 12. Bulltown, Braxton County, October 13. Salt Lick Bridge October 14. Ravenswood October 26. Sandy River near Elizabeth October 27. Hurricane Creek December 3 (Detachment). Crook's Raid on Virginia & Tennessee Railroad May 2-19, 1864. Princeton May 6. Battle of Cloyd's Mountain May 9. Cove Mountain or Grassy Lick near Wytheville and New River Bridge May 10. Salt Pond Mountain and Gap Mountain May 12-13. Hunter's Expedition to Lynchburg May 26-July 1. Panther Gap June 4. Middlebrook and Brownsville June 10. Lexington June 11. Otter Creek near Liberty June 16. Spencer June 16. Diamond Hill June 17. Lynchburg June 17-18. Retreat to Charleston, W. Va., June 19-July 1. Buford's Gap June 19. About Salem June 21. Moved to Shenandoah Valley July. Sandy Hook, Md., July 8. Snicker's Ferry or Gap July 17-18. Battle of Kernstown, Winchester, July 24. Flintstone Creek, Md., August 1. Cumberland, Md., August 1 (4 Cos.). Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August 7-November 28. Berryville September 3. Battle of Opequan, Winchester, September 19. Fisher's Hill September 22. Skirmishes at Cedar Creek October 1 and 13. Battle of Cedar Creek October 19. Duty in Shenandoah Valley at Camp Russell till December 19. Moved to Washington, D. C., thence to Bermuda Hundred, Va., December 19-23. Duty in the trenches before Richmond till March, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Moved to front of Petersburg March 28-29. Hatcher's Run March 30-31 and April 1. Fall of Petersburg April 2. Pursuit of Lee April 3-9. Rice's Station April 6. Appomattox Court House April 9. Surrender of Lee and his army. March to Lynchburg April 12-15, thence to Farmville and Burkesville Junction April 15-19, and to Richmond April 22-25. Duty near Richmond till June, 1865. Mustered out June 17, 1865. Regiment lost during service 4 Officers and 63 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 148 Enlisted men by disease. Total 215.

Adolphus B. Ayers (1844-1918)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of John Porter, my great, great, great, great grandfather, 1st cousin to Ezekiel, Cornelius, and Henry Ayers, brother of Salem Ayers.

Regiments: 11th West Virginia Infantry, Company C
Enlisted: 22 Dec. 1861 or 1 May 1862
Mustered In: 1 May 1862
Mustered Out: June 1864

Possible Actions: Duty at Parkersburg and guarding Baltimore & Ohio Railroad through counties south of line from Jackson County to Lewis County till June, 1863. Skirmishes at Arnoldsburg and Camp McDonald, W. Va., May 6, 1862. Scout to Roane and Clay Counties May 8-21. Big Bend June 4. Mouth West Fork June 10. Glenville September 1. Spencer Roane Court House September 2. Operations against Jones' Raid on Baltimore & Ohio Railroad April 21-May 21, 1863. Duty on the Upper Potomac till August. West Union May 6, 1863 (1 Co.). Elizabeth Court House May 16. At Parkersburg, Clarksburg, Grafton, Sutton, Bulltown and Beverly guarding Baltimore & Ohio Railroad till April, 1864. Operations against Morgan July 2-26, 1863. Glenville August 21, 1863 (Cos. "C," "H"). Near Glenville August 27, 1863 (Cos. "C," "H"). Skirmish at Beech Fork, Calhoun County, September 8, 1863. Roane County September 12. Bulltown, Braxton County, October 13. Salt Lick Bridge October 14. Ravenswood October 26. Sandy River near Elizabeth October 27. Hurricane Creek December 3 (Detachment). Crook's Raid on Virginia & Tennessee Railroad May 2-19, 1864. Princeton May 6. Battle of Cloyd's Mountain May 9. Cove Mountain or Grassy Lick near Wytheville and New River Bridge May 10. Salt Pond Mountain and Gap Mountain May 12-13. Hunter's Expedition to Lynchburg May 26-July 1. Panther Gap June 4. Middlebrook and Brownsville June 10. Lexington June 11. Otter Creek near Liberty June 16. Spencer June 16. Diamond Hill June 17. Lynchburg June 17-18. Retreat to Charleston, W. Va., June 19-July 1. Buford's Gap June 19. About Salem June 21. Moved to Shenandoah Valley July. Sandy Hook, Md., July 8. Snicker's Ferry or Gap July 17-18. Battle of Kernstown, Winchester, July 24. Flintstone Creek, Md., August 1. Cumberland, Md., August 1 (4 Cos.). Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August 7-November 28. Berryville September 3. Battle of Opequan, Winchester, September 19. Fisher's Hill September 22. Skirmishes at Cedar Creek October 1 and 13. Battle of Cedar Creek October 19. Duty in Shenandoah Valley at Camp Russell till December 19. Moved to Washington, D. C., thence to Bermuda Hundred, Va., December 19-23. Duty in the trenches before Richmond till March, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Moved to front of Petersburg March 28-29. Hatcher's Run March 30-31 and April 1. Fall of Petersburg April 2. Pursuit of Lee April 3-9. Rice's Station April 6. Appomattox Court House April 9. Surrender of Lee and his army. March to Lynchburg April 12-15, thence to Farmville and Burkesville Junction April 15-19, and to Richmond April 22-25. Duty near Richmond till June, 1865. Mustered out June 17, 1865. Regiment lost during service 4 Officers and 63 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 148 Enlisted men by disease. Total 215.

George Hood Potter (1844-1918)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of John Porter, my great, great, great, great grandfather, 1st cousin to the Ayers.

Regiments: 122nd Ohio Infantry, Company E
Enlisted: 17 May 1864 (drafted)
Mustered In: 17 May 1864
Mustered Out: 26 June 1865

Possible Actions: North Anna River May 23–26. On line of the Pamunkey May 26–28. Totopotomoy May 28–31. Cold Harbor June 1–12. Before Petersburg June 17-July 6. Jerusalem Plank Road June 22–23. Moved to Baltimore, Md., July 6; thence to Monocacy July 8. Battle of Monocacy Junction, Md., July 9. Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August 7-November 29. Charlestown August 21, 22 and 29. Battle of Opequan, Winchester, September 19. Fisher's Hill September 22. Battle of Cedar Creek October 19. Duty at Kernstown until December. Skirmish at Kernstown November 10. Moved to Washington, D.C., December 3; thence to Petersburg, Va. Siege of Petersburg, Va., December 6, 1864, to April 2, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9, 1865. Assault on and fall of Petersburg April 2. Pursuit of Lee April 3–9. Sayler's Creek April 6. Appomattox Court House April 9. Surrender of Lee and his army. March to Danville April 17–27, and duty there until May. Moved to Richmond, Va., May 16; thence to Washington, D.C., May 24-June 1. Corps Review June 9.Regiment lost during service 7 Officers and 86 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 137 Enlisted men by disease. Total 230.

Coleman D. Farris (1832-1905)
Relationship: 2nd cousin of Rachel (Garrison) Campbell, my the great, great, great, great grandmother.

Regiments: 57th North Carolina Infantry (Confed.), Company K
Enlisted: 7 July 1862
Mustered In: 17 July 1862, as Pvt.
Hospitalized: 9/10/1862 Richmond, VA (With remittent fever)
Transferred: 10/2/1862 Salisbury, NC Hospl (With dysentery)
Returned: 11/1/1862 (place not stated)
On rolls: 2/28/1863 (place not stated)
Wounded: 5/4/1863 Chancellorsville, VA (Wounded in left hand, finger shot off)
Hospitalized: 5/5/1863 Richmond, VA
Transferred: 6/4/1863 Salisbury, NC Hospl
Detailed: 6/29/1863 Raleigh, NC (As a provost guard)
Returned: 12/31/1864 (place not stated)
Oath Allegiance: 6/20/1865 Salisbury, NC

Possible Actions: Organized at Salisbury, North Carolina, in July, 1862, with men recruited in the counties of Rowan, Forsyth, Catawba, Cabarrus, Lincoln, and Alamance. Sent to Virginia, the regiment was assigned to General Law's, Hoke's, Godwin's, and W G Lewis' brigade. It fought with the Army of Northern Virginia from Fredericksburg to Mine Run, then returned to North Carolina. After serving in the Kinston area the 57th was ordered back to Virginia. It continued the fight at Drewry's Bluff and Cold Harbor, in Early's Shenandoah Valley operations, and around Appomattox. The unit reported 32 killed and 192 wounded at Fredericksburg, had 9 killed and 61 wounded at Chancellorsville and twenty-two percent of the 297 engaged at Gettysburg disabled. At the Rappahannock River in November, 1863, it lost 4 wounded and 292 missing. On April 9, 1865 it surrendered with 6 officers and 74 men of which 31 were armed.

James P. Sechler (1831-don't know)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin once removed of Rebecca (Schaeffer) Walter, my great, great, great, great grand mother.

Regiments: 42nd North Carolina Infantry (Confed.), Company G
Enlisted: 22 March 1862
Mustered In: 22 March 1862
Wounded: 8 July 1864 at Petersburg, VA
Absent: 30 Oct. 1864 (estimated day)
Paroled: 1 June 1865

Possible Actions: Organized at Salibury, North Carolina, in April, 1862. The men were recruited in the counties of Davidson, Rowan, Stanly, Davie, and Mecklenburg. In June it moved to Lynchburg, Virginia, and guarded prisoners captured in Jackson's Valley Campaign. Later the unit served in North Carolina at Tarboro, along the Chowan River, and at Wilmington. Assigned to General Martin's and Kirkland's Brigade, it fought at Cold Harbor, took its place in the Petersburg trenches, and ended the war with the Army of Tennessee. This unit lost 6 killed and 48 wounded at Ware Bottom Church and had 1 killed, 2 wounded, and 74 missing at Sugar Loaf. It surrendered on April 26, 1865.

Lee Cooney or Kuney (1845-1921)
Relationship: 1st Cousin of Rebecca (Schaeffer) Walter, my great, great, great, great grand mother.

Regiments: 111th Ohio Infantry, Company C
Enlisted: 22 Aug. 1862
Mustered In: 22 Aug. 1862
Mustered Out: 27 June 1865

Possible Actions: Duty at Covington, Ky., September 13-25, 1862. Reconnoissance to Crittenden September 18-20. Moved to Louisville, Ky., September 25. Pursuit of Bragg to Crab Orchard, Ky., October 1-15. Moved to Bowling Green, Ky., October 16, and duty there guarding railroad to Nashville, Tenn., till May 29, 1863. Skirmish at Negro Head Cut, near Woodburn's, April 27. Moved to Glasgow, Ky., May 29, and duty there till June 18. Pursuit of Morgan June 18-July 26. Burnside's Campaign in East Tennessee August 16-October 17. At Loudoun, Tenn., September 4 to November 14. Knoxville Campaign November 4-December 23. Action at Ruff's Ferry November 14. Near Loudon and Lenoir November 15. Campbell's Station November 16. Siege of Knoxville November 17-December 5. Pursuit of Longstreet to Blain's Cross Roads December 5-16. Operations about Dandridge January 16-17, 1864. Expedition to Flat Creek February 1. Near Knoxville February 13. At Mossy Creek till April 26. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1 to September 8. Demonstrations on Rocky Faced Ridge and Dalton May 8-13. Battle of Resaca May 14-15. Advance on Dallas May 18-25. Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Ackworth June 2. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Lost Mountain June 15-17. Muddy Creek June 17. Noyes Creek June 19. Kolb's Farm June 22. Assault on Kenesaw Mountain June 27. Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Chattahoochie River July 5-17. Decatur July 19. Howard House July 20. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Utoy Creek August 5-7. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 26. At Decatur September 8 to October 4. Operations against Hood in North Georgia and North Alabama October 4-26. At Johnsonville till November 20. Nashville Campaign November-December. Columbia, Duck River, November 24-27. Columbia Ford November 28-29. Battle of Franklin November 30. Battle of Nashville December 15-16. Pursuit of Hood to the Tennessee River December 17-28. At Clifton, Tenn., till January 7, 1865. Movement to Washington, D. C., thence to Fort Fisher, N. C., January 7-February 9. Operations against Hoke February 11-14. Fort Anderson February 18-19. Town Creek February 19-20. Capture of Wilmington February 22. Campaign of the Carolinas March 1-April 26. Advance on Goldsboro March 6-21. Occupation of Goldsboro March 21. Advance on Raleigh April 10-14, Occupation of Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. Duty at Salisbury, N. C., till June. Mustered out June 27, 1865. Regiment lost during service 2 Officers and 52 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 Officers and 158 Enlisted men by disease. Total 215.

Robert S. Downey (1839-1862)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of John Douglas, my great, great, great grandfather.

Regiments: 16th New York Infantry, Company H
Enlisted: 15 May 1861
Mustered In: 15 May 1861
Killed In Action: 27 June 1862 at the Battle of Gaines Mill

Possible Actions: Reconnaissance from Alexandria on Fairfax Road July 14, 1861. Advance on Manassas, Va., July 16-21. Fairfax Court House July 17. Battle of Bull Run July 21. Duty in the Defences of Washington till March, 1862. Expedition to Pohick Church October 3, 1861. Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15, 1862. McDowell's advance on Fredericksburg, Va., April 4-12. Ordered to the Virginia Peninsula April 22. Siege of Yorktown April 24-May 4 (on transports). West Point May 7-8. Near Mechanicsville May 22. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Gaines Mill June 27.

Mason S. Allen (1840-1878)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of John Douglas, my great, great, great grandfather.

Regiments: 11th New York Cavalry, Company I
Enlisted: 14 Feb. 1862
Mustered In: 14 Feb. 1862
Mustered Out: 13 Sept. 1862

Possible Actions: Duty in the Defences of Washington, D. C., till March, 1864. Action at Blue Ridge Mountain, Va., June 18, 1862.

Jacob Sechler Webb (1836 - 1908)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of Rebecca (Schaeffer) Walter, my great, great, great, great grandmother.

Regiments: 11th Pennsylvania Infantry (3 months), Company G, and 1st Pennsylvania Light Artillery (14th Reserves), Battery D
Enlisted: 24 April, 1861
Mustered In: 26 April, 1861
Mustered Out: 31 July 1861
Mustered In: August 27, 1864 (1st Pennsylvania Light Artillery)
Mustered Out: 31 July, 1865

Possible Actions:
11th Pennsylvania Infantry: Organized at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, April 26, 1861. Ordered to Camp Wayne, West Chester, Pa., and duty there and guarding Pittsburg, Wilmington, Baltimore Railroad till June 18. Ordered to Chambersburg June 18. Attached to Negley's 5th Brigade, Abercrombie's 2nd Division, Patterson's Army. Transferred to 6th Brigade June 20. Moved to Williamsport, Md., June 29. Falling Waters July 2 (The regiment was given the nickname “Bloody Eleventh,” losing Private Amos Suppinger killed and ten other men wounded in fighting against Jackson’s Virginia Brigade). Occupation of Martinsburg July 3. Advance on Bunker Hill July 15. Moved to Harper's Ferry July 25. Mustered out August 1, 1861.
1st Pennsylvania Light Artillery: Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August to November. Berryville September 3. Battle of Opequan, Winchester, September 19. Fisher's Hill September 22. Battle of Cedar Creek October 19. Duty at Maryland Heights and in Dept. of West Virginia till June, 1865.

Ashel G. Sechler or Sechlar (1835 - 1863)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of Rebecca (Schaeffer) Walter, my great, great, great, great grandmother.

Regiments: 4th Michigan Cavalry, Company I
Enlisted: 9 Aug. 1862
Mustered In: 29 Aug. 1862
Died of Disease: 12 Jan. 1863 at Nashville, TN

Possible Actions:
Advance on Stanford, Ky., October 10-14, 1862. Action at Stanford October 14. March to Gallatin, Tenn., November 1-8. Cumberland River, near Gallatin, November 8. Lebanon November 11. Franklin Pike, near Hollow Tree Gap, December 4. Reconnaissance from Nashville to Trenton December 11-12. Wilson's Creek Pike December 11. Franklin December 12. Near Murfreesboro December 15. Reconnaissance from Rural Hill December 20. Advance on Murfreesboro December 26-30. Lavergne December 26-27. Battle of Stone River December 30-31, 1862, and January 1-3, 1863. Overall's Creek December 31. Lytle's Creek January 5, 1863.

Armon M. Sechler or Sechlar (1841 - 1863)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of Rebecca (Schaeffer) Walter, my great, great, great, great grandmother, and brother of Ashel.

Enlisted: 12 Aug. 1862
Died of Disease: 28 Jan. 1863 at Nashville, TN

Possible Actions:
Advance on Stanford, Ky., October 10-14, 1862. Action at Stanford October 14. March to Gallatin, Tenn., November 1-8. Cumberland River, near Gallatin, November 8. Lebanon November 11. Franklin Pike, near Hollow Tree Gap, December 4. Reconnaissance from Nashville to Trenton December 11-12. Wilson's Creek Pike December 11. Franklin December 12. Near Murfreesboro December 15. Reconnaissance from Rural Hill December 20. Advance on Murfreesboro December 26-30. Lavergne December 26-27. Battle of Stone River December 30-31, 1862, and January 1-3, 1863. Overall's Creek December 31. Lytle's Creek January 5, 1863. Reconnaissance to Harpeth River and Cumberland Shoals January 13-19. Woodbury January 24.

Nathan G. Sechler or Sechlar (1839 - 1861)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of Rebecca (Schaeffer) Walter, my great, great, great, great grandmother, and brother of Ashel.

Regiments: 6th Michigan Infantry, Company E
Enlisted: 5 Aug. 1861
Mustered In: 22 Aug. 1861
Died of Disease: 10 Nov. 1861 at Baltimore, Maryland

Possible Actions: Organized at Kalamazoo, Mich., and mustered in August 20, 1861. Left State for Baltimore, Md., August 30, and duty there till February 22, 1862.

George Edgar Sechler or Sechlar (1843 - 1919)

Mustered Out: 1 May 1865 at Detroit, Michigan

Possible Actions:
Advance on Stanford, Ky., October 10-14, 1862. Action at Stanford October 14. March to Gallatin, Tenn., November 1-8. Cumberland River, near Gallatin, November 8. Lebanon November 11. Franklin Pike, near Hollow Tree Gap, December 4. Reconnoissance from Nashville to Trenton December 11-12. Wilson's Creek Pike December 11. Franklin December 12. Near Murfreesboro December 15. Reconnoissance from Rural Hill December 20. Advance on Murfreesboro December 26-30. Lavergne December 26-27. Battle of Stone River December 30-31, 1862, and January 1-3, 1863. Overall's Creek December 31. Lytle's Creek January 5, 1863. Reconnoissance to Harpeth River and Cumberland Shoals January 13-19. Woodbury January 24. Unionville and Rover January 31. Expedition to Franklin January 31-February 13. Rover February 13. Manchester Pike February 22 (Detachment). Unionville and Rover March 4. Expedition toward Columbia March 4-14. Thompson's Station March 9. Rutherford Creek March 10-11. Expedition from Murfreesboro to Auburn, Liberty, Snow Hill, etc., April 2-6. Snow Hill, Woodbury and Liberty April 3. Franklin April 10. Expedition to McMinnville April 20-30. Hickory Creek April 21. Expedition to Middleton May 21-22. Middleton May 22. Near Murfreesboro June 3. Scout on Middleton and Eaglesville Pike June 10. Scout on Salem Pike June 12. Expedition to Lebanon June 15-17. Lebanon June 16. Middle Tennessee (or Tullahoma) Campaign June 23-3uly 7. Fosterville and Guy's Gap June 27. Shelbyville June 27. Reconnoissance to Rock Island Ferry August 4-5. Sparta August 9. Passage of the Cumberland Mountains and Tennessee River and Chickamauga (Ga.) Campaign August 16-September 22. Calf Killer River August 17. Pea Vine Bridge and Reed's Bridge September 18. Battle of Chickamauga September 19-21. Rossville Gap September 21. Operations against Wheeler and Roddy September 30-October 17. McMinnville October 4. Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23-27. Raid on East Tennessee & Georgia Railroad November 24-27. Charleston and Cleveland November 26. March to relief of Knoxville November 28-December 8. On courier duty between Headquarters of General Grant and General Burnside during December. Cleveland December 22 (Detachment). Scout from Rossville toward Dalton, Ga., January 21-23, 1864. Near Dalton January 22. Ringgold, Ga., February 18. Demonstrations on Dalton, Ga., February 22-27. Tunnel Hill and near Dalton February 23. Buzzard's Roost Gap and Rocky Faced Ridge February 23-25. Stone Church, near Catoosa Platform, February 27. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1-September 8. Tanner's Bridge May 15. Near Borne May 15. Arundel Creek and Floyd's Springs May 16. Near Ringston May 18. Near Dallas May 24. Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Big Shanty June 9. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. McAffee's Cross Roads June 11. Noonday Creek June 20. Powder Springs or Lattimer's Mills June 20. Noonday Creek June 27. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Tunnel Hill June 28. On line of Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Rottenwood Creek July 4. Chattahoochie River July 5-17. Flint Hill Church July 20. Garrard's Raid to Covington July 22-24. Garrard's Raid to South River July 27-31. Flat Rock Bridge July 28. Siege of Atlanta August 1-16. Kilpatrick's Raid around Atlanta August 18-22. Red Oak August 19. Flint River and Jonesboro August 19. Lovejoy Station August 20. Operations at Chattahoochie River Bridge August 26-September 2. Sandtown August 29. Rosswell September 28. Operations against Hood in North Georgia and North Alabama September 29-November 3. Lost Mountain October 4-7. New Hope Church October 5. Dallas October 7. Near Rome October 10-11. Narrows October 11. Coosaville Road, near Rome, October 13. Little River October 20. Blue Pond and Leesburg October 21. Ordered to Nashville, Tenn., October 26; thence to Louisville, Ky., to refit. At Louisville till December 28. March from Louisville, Ky., to Gravelly Springs, Ala., December 28, 1864, to January 25, 1865, and duty there till March -. Wilson's Raid from Chickasaw, Ala., to Macon, Ga., March 2 - April 24. Selma, Ala., April 2. Montgomery April 12. Pleasant Hill and Double Bridges April 18. Capture of Macon April 20. Pursuit and capture of Jeff Davis at Irwinsville, Ga., May 10 (Detachment). Duty at Macon and Nashville till July. Mustered out July 1, 1865. Regiment lost during service 3 Officers and 48 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 341 Enlisted men by disease. Total 394.

James M. Sechler or Seckler (1840 - aft. 1878)

Regiments: 92nd Illinois Infantry, Company H, and 46th Illinois Infantry, Company H
Rank: Corporal then Sergeant (92nd Illinois), Private (46th Illinois Infantry)
Enlisted: 11 Aug. 1862
Mustered In: 4 Sept. 1862
Mustered Out: 4 May 1863
Enlisted: 25 Dec. 1863 (46th Illinois Infantry)
Mustered In: 31 Jan. 1864
Mustered Out: 27 May 1865

Possible Actions:
92nd Illinois Infantry: Duty at Danville, Ky., till December 26, 1862. Expedition to intercept Morgan on Louisville & Nashville R. R. December 26, 1862-January 2, 1863. Moved to Louisville, Ky., thence to Nashville, Tenn., January 26-February 6, 1863. Repulse of Forest's attack on Fort Donelson, Tenn., February 4, 1863. Duty at Nashville, Tenn., till March 5, 1863. Moved to Franklin, Tenn., March 5, and pursuit of Van Dorn March 5-12. Operations about Columbia March 9-10. At Brentwood till April 8. Repulse of Van Dora's attack on Franklin April 10. At Franklin till June 2.

46th Illinois Infantry: At Vicksburg until March 2. Duty there and at Big Black till July. Expedition to Benton and Yazoo City May 4-22. Actions at Benton May 7 and 9. Luce's Plantation May 13. Yazoo City May 13. Expedition to Pearl River. Miss., July 2-10. Near Jackson July 5. Jackson July 7. Ordered to Morganza, La., July 29, and duty there till August 23. Expedition to Port Hudson and Clinton, La., August 23-29. Moved to mouth of White River, Ark., September 3-8. Non-Veterans mustered out September 13. Moved to Duvall's Bluff, Ark., October 7-9. Thence to Memphis, Tenn., November 28-December 1, and duty there till December 21. Expedition to Germantown, Moscow and Wolf River, Tenn., December 21-31. Moved to Kennersville, La., January 2, thence to Fort Gaines, Dauphin Island, Ala., February 8-10, 1865. Campaign against Mobile and its defences March 18-April 12. Siege of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely March 26-April 8. Assault and capture of Fort Blakely April 9. Capture of Mobile April 12. Expedition to Meridian, Miss., May 12-21. Moved to New Orleans, La., May 27.

Abraham B. Sechler or Sichler (1842 - don't know)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of Rebecca (Schaeffer) Walter, my great, great, great, great grandmother, and brother of James M.

Regiments: 92nd Illinois Infantry, Company H
Enlisted: 11 Aug. 1862
Mustered In: 4 Sept. 1862
Mustered Out: 21 June 1865

Possible Actions: Duty at Danville, Ky., till December 26, 1862. Expedition to intercept Morgan on Louisville & Nashville R. R. December 26, 1862-January 2, 1863. Moved to Louisville, Ky., thence to Nashville, Tenn., January 26-February 6, 1863. Repulse of Forest's attack on Fort Donelson, Tenn., February 4, 1863. Duty at Nashville, Tenn., till March 5, 1863. Moved to Franklin, Tenn., March 5, and pursuit of Van Dorn March 5-12. Operations about Columbia March 9-10. At Brentwood till April 8. Repulse of Van Dora's attack on Franklin April 10. At Franklin till June 2. Moved to Triune June 2. Action with Wheeler at Triune June 11. Middle Tennessee (or Tullahoma) Campaign June 24-July 7. Occupation of Shelbyville July 1. March to Wartrace July 3. Detached from Brigade July 6 and attached to Wilder's Mounted Infantry Brigade July 10. Mounted July 22. Occupation of Middle Tennessee till August 16. Passage of Cumberland Mountains and Tennessee River and Chickamauga (Ga.) Campaign August 16-September 22. Rossville and Ringgold, Ga., September 11. Lee and Gordon's Mills September 11-13. Leet's Tan Yard, or Rock Springs, September 12-13. Alexander's Bridge and Dyer's Ford September 18. Battle of Chickamauga, Ga., September 19-21. Operations against Wheeler and Roddy September 30-October 17. Hill's Gap, Thompson's Cove, near Beersheba, October 3. Murfreesboro Road October 4. Near McMinnville October 4-5. Farmington October 7. Sim's Farm, near Shelbyville, October 7. Guard Tennessee River north of Chattanooga till October 27. Moved to Bridgeport, Ala., and duty there till January 15, 1864. Ringgold Gap, Ga., November 27, 1863 (Co. "E"). Operations in North Alabama January 23-29. Bainbridge Ferry January 25 (Co. "I"). Sweetwater and Florence January 25. At Huntsville, Ala., till April 6. Moved to Ringgold, Ga., April 6. Nickajack Trace (or Gap) April 23. Reconnoissance from Ringgold toward Tunnel Hill April 29. Skirmish at Tunnel Hill April 29. Stone Church May 1. Leet's Cross Roads May 2. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May to September. Near Ringgold Gap May 2. Near Nickajack Gap May 7. Demonstrations on Resaca May 8-13. Near Resaca May 13. Battle of Resaca May 14-15. Calhoun May 15. Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June l0-July 2. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Operations on line of Chattahoochie River July 3-17. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Fairburn August 15. Sandtown August 15. Kilpatrick's Raid around Atlanta August 18-22. Jonesboro August 19. Lovejoy Station August 20. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Fairburn August 27-28. Jonesboro August 30. Flint River Station August 30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Glass Bridge September 2. Operations against Hood and Forest in North Georgia and North Alabama September 29-November 3. Camp Creek September 30. Sweetwater and Noyes Creek, near Powder Springs, October 1-3. Van Wert October 9-10. March to the sea November 15-December 10. Bear Creek Station November 16. Near Clinton and Walnut Creek November 20. East Macon November 20. Near Macon November 21. Near Waynesboro November 27-28. Thomas' Station December 3. Waynesboro December 4. Ebenezer Creek December 8. Siege of Savannah December 10-21. Campaign of the Carolinas January to April, 1865. Near Barnwell, S.C., February 6. Aiken and Johnson's Station February 11. Phillips' Cross Roads March 4. Averysboro, Taylor's Hole Creek, N.C., March 16. Bentonville March 19-21. Occupation of Goldsboro March 24, and of Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. Duty in Department of North Carolina till June. Mustered out at Concord, N.C., June 21, and discharged at Chicago, Ill., July 10, 1865.

George M. Dallass Sechler (1844 - 1864)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of Rebecca (Schaeffer) Walter, my great, great, great, great grandmother, and brother of James M.

Regiments: 92nd Illinois Infantry, Company H
Enlisted: 29 Feb. 1864
Mustered In: 28 March 1864
Died of Disease: 14 Sept. 1864

Possible Actions: At Huntsville, Ala., till April 6. Moved to Ringgold, Ga., April 6. Nickajack Trace (or Gap) April 23. Reconnoissance from Ringgold toward Tunnel Hill April 29. Skirmish at Tunnel Hill April 29. Stone Church May 1. Leet's Cross Roads May 2. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May to September. Near Ringgold Gap May 2. Near Nickajack Gap May 7. Demonstrations on Resaca May 8-13. Near Resaca May 13. Battle of Resaca May 14-15. Calhoun May 15. Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Operations on line of Chattahoochie River July 3-17. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Fairburn August 15. Sandtown August 15. Kilpatrick's Raid around Atlanta August 18-22. Jonesboro August 19. Lovejoy Station August 20. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Fairburn August 27-28. Jonesboro August 30. Flint River Station August 30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Glass Bridge September 2.

Elias Sechler (1838 - 1876)

Regiments: 131st Pennsylvania Infantry, Company I
Mustered In: 12 Aug. 1862
Wounded: 13 Dec. 1862 at Fredericksburg, VA, while charging Marye's Heights.
Mustered Out: 23 May 1863

Possible Actions: Organized at Harrisburg August, 1862. Moved to Washington, D. C., August 20, and duty there till September 14. Moved to Sharpsburg, Md., and duty there till October 30. Attached to 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15. Burnside's 2nd Campaign, "Mud March," January 20-24, 1863. Duty at Falmouth till April. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Mustered out May 23, 1863.

Hammond Sechler (1841 - 1922)
Relationship: 2nd Cousin of Rebecca (Schaeffer) Walter, my great, great, great, great grandmother, and brother of Elias.

Regiments: 131st Pennsylvania Infantry, Company I
Mustered In: 12 Aug. 1862
Mustered Out: 23 May 1863

Possible Actions: Organized at Harrisburg August, 1862. Moved to Washington, D. C., August 20, and duty there till September 14. Moved to Sharpsburg, Md., and duty there till October 30. Attached to 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15. Burnside's 2nd Campaign, "Mud March," January 20-24, 1863. Duty at Falmouth till April. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Mustered out May 23, 1863.

Back