Buttons of the Confederacy

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Tom Hughes

Sergeant
Those are some nice one especially the staff officers and the C. You know I'm going to ask, what are the back-marks?
Those are some nice one especially the staff officers and the C. You know I'm going to ask, what are the back-marks?
View attachment 337867

Here's a small riker display of Confederate buttons I found in the Vicksburg area.
The only thing that's not a civil war button is the 1818 Large Cent in the center of display.
All are blank back marks.they are locals.
One of the I buttons is a solid cast, 2 of them don’t have backs and 1 is a tinback (iron back).

Tom Hughes

Sergeant
Beautiful display! I like the I buttons the best, don't ask me why. That Script C is awesome too. Great job on finding so many! I've only ever found one before...
Thanks Ethan for the comments.
The bright green I button on the right side is a solid cast block I. You could literally sew it onto a jacket and wear it today. It was manufactured in either Tuscaloosa, AL or Atlanta, GA. Those were the only two places they were made is my understanding. The other 3 Roman style block I buttons were tin backs. The 2 staff officers buttons are "locals".

Ethan S.

Sergeant
Thanks Ethan for the comments.
The bright green I button on the right side is a solid cast block I. You could literally sew it onto a jacket and wear it today. It was manufactured in either Tuscaloosa, AL or Atlanta, GA. Those were the only two places they were made is my understanding. The other 3 Roman style block I buttons were tin backs. The 2 staff officers buttons are "locals".

I know diddly squat about buttons. I do have Alberts book on it though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Uniforms & Relics 4
T Uniforms & Relics 6
T Uniforms & Relics 16
Rusk County Avengers Uniforms & Relics 7