Butler seeks to make some money

Well, those are the ones that gleefully parrot out all the outrageous propaganda that Butler was such a magnet for. They can, indeed, be a "fun" read, though only the most willfully gullible take them for truth. Which is a shame, because Ben's life provides quite enough "entertainment" just sticking to the bare facts.
So very true...say what you want about Ben but DULL isn't one of them Thanks

I do believe that a "shrink" would have a field day with him: poor kid, hard-working mom, daily heard stories from the women mill workers on how bad life was, portly, bad eye... rejected by the big boys and kept out of west point and out of the highest circle of influencers so he was driven (maybe bitter). His life worked out fine...his kids life worked out fine so in the end, he won.
I recall reading once that when veterans knocked on the door of Gen'l Sherman he would give them a buck and before sending them on their way, being that they were down and out, Sherman would send them to Butler as he was the keeper of government patronage. Or if no jobs at Butler's fingertips he would send them to one of the veteran's homes for which Butler was the President...and travel there for free
Was he kept out of West Point because of his crossed eyes?

Here's my take on this...he did so much and cut such a wide path that doing 1 book would be a big read and who reads a big read except for "us". This may be why Butler is broken into pieces...small bites are easier than a big gulp. Who knows...maybe I am wrong. My archives are open though to authors
I have to admit... your Butler collection and archives are impressive.

Was he kept out of West Point because of his crossed eyes?
No not that, he was told he was too late going to the local congressman to ask for his help. That young man would wash out
He would prove himself adept at the military on paper and Jeff Davis would assign him to the board there and old Ben even addressed them once...I have the handout. That would solidify a positive relationship with Jeff for several years. Ben would push for Davis to be the Democrat candidate at the Chareston Convention that needed up all ties in knots and had reconvene in Baltimore.
Butler tried to meet with Jeff right before he leave DC for.good, I have Butlers note to Jeff. But when Ben issued Order 28, Davis raised The Black Flag over him and the relationship was eneded.
I have always wondered if Jeff had hoped Ben was going to be still in command at Ft Monroe after he was captured

I think from what you've posted about him... his life seems interesting, from childhood to his business/political life after the war.
Pretty surprised there was never a real statue to him.
The civil.rights act, shorter work.hours, US in charge of the Panama.Canal, Soldiers Home president, end of the KKK, women's rights, silver, oil, subway investor and.top notch lawyer.

Pretty surprised there was never a real statue to him.
The civil.rights act, shorter work.hours, US in charge of the Panama.Canal, Soldiers Home president, end of the KKK, women's rights, silver, oil, subway investor and.top notch lawyer.
I had no clue he was involved in all of that after the war. I'd be interested to learn about his involvement in ending the KKK

No not that, he was told he was too late going to the local congressman to ask for his help. That young man would wash out
He would prove himself adept at the military on paper and Jeff Davis would assign him to the board there and old Ben even addressed them once...I have the handout. That would solidify a positive relationship with Jeff for several years. Ben would push for Davis to be the Democrat candidate at the Chareston Convention that needed up all ties in knots and had reconvene in Baltimore.
Butler tried to meet with Jeff right before he leave DC for.good, I have Butlers note to Jeff. But when Ben issued Order 28, Davis raised The Black Flag over him and the relationship was eneded.
I have always wondered if Jeff had hoped Ben was going to be still in command at Ft Monroe after he was captured
I find that very interesting... because I'm currently reading the Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government. And today I read the chapter where Davis tells of the occupation of New Orleans. He completely despised Butler after he issued order 28 and the others.

I once suggested a heroic equestrian statue of Ben Butler for NOLA: in Jackson Square, right next to Andy. They could have the two "Saviors" of The Big Easy side-by-side in one place.

But, some narrow-minded types didn't like the idea.
Ya...I cant understand why NO wouldn't want a Butler statue...frankly Ben would prefer an "on foot" statue as he rode a horse like a sack of wet straw

I find that very interesting... because I'm currently reading the Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government. And today I read the chapter where Davis tells of the occupation of New Orleans. He completely despised Butler after he issued order 28 and the others.
Though Davis DID raise the black flag over Ben after the #28..I can't help but think that Ben would have protected him had he been there in Ft. Monroe at the same time. Davis had no idea if he would be killed or kicked out of the US and leaning on Bens skills would have been helpful
Remember that when Lee's kid was captured, Ben sent Bobby Lee a note telling him that Ben would take good care of him and keep him safe. He did of course and Bobby Lee was forced to send Ben a nice thank you note

I had no clue he was involved in all of that after the war. I'd be interested to learn about his involvement in ending the KKK
Ben wrote the legislation on anti KKK and Butler wrote the civil rights act that was signed into law but shortly after overturned. BUT, the law was so well done, LBJ brought it back up and with few corrections pushed it through in 1964!

Ben wrote the legislation on anti KKK and Butler wrote the civil rights act that was signed into law but shortly after overturned. BUT, the law was so well done, LBJ brought it back up and with few corrections pushed it through in 1964!
The 1964 Civil Right's Act was almost as far-reaching as Butler's Civil Rights Act or 1875.

I would recommend the following excerpt from the debates over that act to illustrate just how well prepared Congressman Butler was to respond to any question or challenge. The breadth and depth of his intellect is startling.

Back