Buster Kilrain-Your Opinion

I certainly learned something reading through all your posts. If I ever write a movie, I will prepare myself for what will come after. I loved the movie Gettysburg. But I did not watch with the eyes many of you saw it through. Under my posts is a Kilrain quote from the movie. I just like that quote. I agree with the people who say he was created as a foil, or a sounding board/mentor to Chamberlain. Good question. Good thread.

John Sneed
Thanks John.

I don't know. It wouldn't have been much of a book or movie without Buster. He may not have been a main character but kinda was- he was almost the backdrop of the war. As weirdly good as Shaara, Sr. was at drawing personality sketches with a few, deft strokes, he couldn't reach into who we were without Buster. Irish immigrant, but just the latest batch finding this place more attractive than elsewhere. The reasons why seem so integral to why Buster thought this war worthwhile, it's unsurprising people are a little crushed finding his grave missing in our National Cemetery.

Just an opinion, not argument.

Not having been in the military I have a question to those who have. Would an officer have a go to veteran in the ranks he could count on to keep a pulse of his troops like a Buster or Morgan Freeman's character in Glory? I would think this would be a good idea or would ego and tradition not allow such a thing? Just curious and wondering if this type of relationship could have really happened.

Not having been in the military I have a question to those who have. Would an officer have a go to veteran in the ranks he could count on to keep a pulse of his troops like a Buster or Morgan Freeman's character in Glory? I would think this would be a good idea or would ego and tradition not allow such a thing? Just curious and wondering if this type of relationship could have really happened.

I´d say that, for the Colonel, this would usually be the Sergeant Major.

A wise one would, especially one who had just assumed command.

I always find the Kilrain character interesting- there was a similar Irish-man in the unit (though Kilrain is not based on him), but the thing that interests me the most is the regiment he is in. The 20th Maine is actually the only regiment in the Union military that we can say with a degree of certainty that Irishmen were forcibly impressed into 'straight off the boat' as they arrived in America, causing a diplomatic incident with the British. One of them was actually killed at The Wilderness before he could be got out of the army by the British Consul. There is some irony to the 20th then having one of the most recognisable 'Irish' volunteers in the contemporary mind!

Back