" Bury Me In The Morning, Mother ", Foster Composes War

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Mo 14 john 18th ovi crop color.jpg

What seemed so maudlin, these wrenching memorials and more wrenching songs of the era were not. An alleged Victorian mania for all-things-death not withstanding, artists continually reminded us what we were doing to each other.

bury song 1.JPG

Stephen Foster, from Hathitrust, in public domain

AS usual, looking for something else, came across a veritable dirge by Stephen Foster. Prolific and beloved,
Foster was capable of doing what great artists do. They evoke, doesn't matter what, it's the successful tugging at something in one's soul which makes it art. Have a few opinions on that, feeling strongly those so gifted have a kinda obligation to play nicely with all of us- hence a dislike of both Poe and few disturbing Van Goghs.

Foster, along with several other composers forgivably reminded us what war was. I say forgivably because tragedy creates empathy between us ( or should ), a giant step towards peace.

Weirdly found an LoC mourning illustration, one of hundreds sold between 1861 and 1865. You bought a print, grave and mourner, and filled in the name. This name, John Wilson, died at Stone's River in December, 1862, fighting with the 15th OVI. His mother's name was Sarah.

bury song chorus 1.JPG
bury song chorus 2.JPG

" Bury me in the morning, and mourn not at my loss.

For I'll join the beautiful army, that carried the Saviour's cross "

Also forgivably religious. It's all they had.

bury song 2 verses.JPG

bury song 4.JPG

Cannot find his Find A Grave- a plethora of John Wilsons fought in the war, quite a few born in Ohio survived it. This man, from Perry, Fayette, Ohio, mother Sarah, father William is the only one who has no post war records.

Northern Light

Lt. Colonel
Weirdly found an LoC mourning illustration, one of hundreds sold between 1861 and 1865. You bought a print, grave and mourner, and filled in the name.
I suppose that these prints would be the next best thing if you could not visit your loved one's grave. I don't imagine that Sarah and William made it to Stones River to see John's grave, if indeed he had one that was marked.