Burnside Carbine serial number 32325

Dilba

Corporal
I acquired a Burnside Carbine, Serial Number 32325, a few years ago. I believe it is a late 5th model. I recently saw a post about an earlier Burnside where someone was able to identify the unit to which it was issued. Can anyone tell me what unit (if any) and when this particular Burnside 32325 may have been issued? It has what appears to be an inspectors mark on the stock above the trigger.

Your number is not a hit in the Springfield data base but it might have been Co K 4th Ohio Vol Cav. Numbers 32323 and 32338 were both Co K 4th Ohio Vol Cav

I concur. But keep in mind the SSR is not a complete story of the records.

Your spot on with that. I figured by now one of the interweb company's would have figured out they could make a buck on the ordnance records in the archives. I have been in those records on 3 occasions many years ago when stationed nearby and they are a PAIN in A@*.

Thanks so much for bringing your question. Thats exactly why I have been intrigued with this period lo, all these 50+ years.
As a relic hunter of CW artifacts, the Burnside had a presence in the Chattanooga area/theater....lots of Spencers found, in disparate areas- and BTW pinpoint Wilder, Lilly, et al.
Anyway...fella named Fox did a study of Little Big Horn via artifacts, and was able to (almost) identify individual shooters. Using the same metal-detecting techniques, a lot can be learned re: the state-of-the-art(at the time) Burnside Carbine. ZI look forward to further discussion...YVOS

Your number is not a hit in the Springfield data base but it might have been Co K 4th Ohio Vol Cav. Numbers 32323 and 32338 were both Co K 4th Ohio Vol Cav
Many thanks for this! I bought the gun because my GGG grandfather served in the 20th Pa. Cav., which had an ordinance record indicating at least some of the regiment was issued the Burnside late in the war. I found it in Churchville, PA, not far from Lancaster where where he was from. Interesting that it might trace back to an Ohio regiment. Thanks again.

Hey man, I think you are getting there. OK, so we see the ser # leave the plant. What then? I strongly suggest walkin its use forward. Being a new weapon,the Burnside issue was not huge...walk it outta the plant...sorry, just my opinion.
Try the ammunition Cos. That was at the time an almost 'exotic' weapon, and took very unique ammunition.
Im researching Order of Battle for Chatt campaign, will get back to ya...God Save the South...regards

Hey man, I think you are getting there. OK, so we see the ser # leave the plant. What then? I strongly suggest walkin its use forward. Being a new weapon,the Burnside issue was not huge...walk it outta the plant...sorry, just my opinion.
Try the ammunition Cos. That was at the time an almost 'exotic' weapon, and took very unique ammunition.
Im researching Order of Battle for Chatt campaign, will get back to ya...God Save the South...regards

It turns out that the 4th was with the L wing in assault at Missionary Ridge, meaning that they were in screen, intel, etc in fairly good maneuverable Cavalry terrain. They came over with Sherman crossing, at the N end of Missionary Ridge. Well, Patrick Cleburne was there with enuff to blow them back down ridge, and 'Breakenridge' caved in the center....unbelieveable..an Artillery general in overall command, with guns in the sky..

Hi Gen. Thanks for your reply, and your further efforts. Not sure what you mean by Try the ammunition Cos. Could you explain?

It's kinda like a 'follow the money' drill. Gotta have ammunition for the Burnside, right? Ammunition manufacturers gotta be nearby- especially considering the uniqueness of the weapon- perhaps in the same state(or neighboring), say Ohio or Pennsylvania, which coincidently both supplied troops to the Western theater.
Id follow these suppositions. Burnside catridges are very rare in Chattanooga area, but they do exist, and thus prove the weapon use. Special weapons, such as Spencers and Burnsides, had to be procured privately, as well as ammunition...follow the guns and ammunition.

It's kinda like a 'follow the money' drill. Gotta have ammunition for the Burnside, right? Ammunition manufacturers gotta be nearby- especially considering the uniqueness of the weapon- perhaps in the same state(or neighboring), say Ohio or Pennsylvania, which coincidently both supplied troops to the Western theater.
Id follow these suppositions. Burnside catridges are very rare in Chattanooga area, but they do exist, and thus prove the weapon use. Special weapons, such as Spencers and Burnsides, had to be procured privately, as well as ammunition...follow the guns and ammunition.
Many thanks. I'll give it a try.

Back