lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1592769032537.png

When the discovery of the map was first announced, all I could do was stare at it in amazement -- wondering what avenues of research it would open, what discoveries it would lead to, and what could be learned from it. Here is my first tiny stab at it. You guys know my main area of research interest is Georgia Confederate regiments - particularly regiments in Wofford's brigade. But the first named Georgia grave I noticed on the map was labeled as "D H Hallman" 23rd Ga so I figured I'd start there and see what I could find out.

In the file of Lieutenant Vincent H. Hallum, Company D, 23rd Georgia Infantry, there's this one card that explains the error.
1592769447845.png

This carded record was created when the rosters of those who died at the Stone House Hospital (US) at Antietam were transcribed. Someone making a list of those who died at the hospital, asked the name of the deceased rebel and the surgeon said V H Hallum - but the maker of the list heard D H Hallum and wrote that on the list. Other cards in his file confirm that, indeed, Vincent H Hallum was the only Lieutenant in the 23rd GA with any similar name. In fact, he is the only soldier with a name similar to Hallman. This is the man who was wounded and left behind after the Battle of Sharpsburg.
1592769611841.png
1592769664286.png

He was wounded in the right leg which resulted in a compound fracture. There is no record that his leg was amputated so I'm guessing that the wound must have been high up and pretty bad.
1592772607272.png

The first card I posted shows that Lt. "D H Hallum" of the 23rd GA was treated at the Stone House Hospital, the name given to the Poffenberger Farm which was used as one vast field hospital after the battle. The third carded record I posted - Register of Officers and Soldiers of the Army of the Confederate States who were killed in battle or who died of wounds or disease - has a third name "W H Hallum." I'm guessing the "V" was simply mis-transcribed. This is a Confederate record so I was surprised to see him recorded as "killed September 17, 1862." I guess they didn't know he lived a while afterwards. How do I know?
1592770554050.png

On September 25, 1862, Vincent H Hallum, 2nd Lieutenant , Co D, 23rd Georgia, signed his own name on a parole. SO he was still alive and able to write his name on September 25. His widow, Sarah Hallum, filed for his arearage pay and received $138.69 which was approved July 23, 1863.
1592770741068.png

Vincent H Hallum's grandfather was John Hallum a revolutionary war soldier.
Vincent H Hallum's father was William Wakely Hallum (1791-1865)
Vincent H Hallum's widow was Sarah Jane Bradley Hallum (1840-1919) They were married in 1855 and had three children:
Daughter: Indiana Florence Hallum Bowen b. 1856, age 6 when her father died. She died 1925.
Son: Robert Alonzo Hallum b. 1858, age 4 when his father died. He died 1922.
Son: John Oliver Hamilton Hallum b. 1861, not yet a year old when his father died. He died in 1935.

By 1870, Sarah was remarried to Thomas L Langford, a Dry Goods Merchant, and the couple had welcomed a new baby, Austria Langford, age 8 months.
1592771772237.png

Last edited:
Hallum, Vincent H
2nd Lt.
Mustered 8-31-61 at Camp McDonald, Ga.
Promoted 2nd Lt. 8-24-62
Killed 9-17-62 at Sharpsburg
Died at Stone House Hosp
Wife: Sarah Hallum.
Captured 9-17-62 at Battle of Sharpsburg, Md., on list of wounded at Sharpsburg, with Compound Fracture to Right Leg, Hosp near there.
Signed an Oath not to take up arms against the United States on 9-25-62

I wonder he was at the Samuel Poffenberger farm rather than Joseph Poffenberger? It's closer to the burial spot. Also where Clara Barton was working.

hospital6.jpg

Screenshot_20200621-191542~2.png

Last edited:
I wonder he was at the Samuel Poffenberger farm rather than Joseph Poffenberger? It's closer to the burial spot. Also where Clara Barton was working.
Makes sense to me. Do you know which Poffenberger farm was named the "Stone House" hospital?

The following is an LOC photo of the Samuel Poffenberger House obtained from the Historic American Buildings survey. Joseph and Alfred also owned properties on the Antietam Battlefield, but neither was stone. The Alfred Poffenberger building was also known as the Mary Locher cabin.
S Poffenberger House.png

According to John Banks' blog the Stone House Hospital was indeed at the Samuel Poffenberger Farm.

On Oct. 21, 1862, The New York Times published a lengthy list of soldiers who died at Antietam hospitals [prior to October 2, 1862].

Also from Banks' blog
...At the "Stone-House Hospital," Samuel Poffenberger's farm, the total number of deaths was listed as 37.

I don't have a subscription to the Times, but perhaps someone who does would be kind enough to take a look and see if V H Hallum, D H Hallum, D H Hallman etc., is listed as one of those reported to have died prior to October 2?

Good stuff here on the Samuel Poffenberger house:

Thanks so much!!! I'd be interested to know since it would help to narrow down his DOD.
I am checking the Evening Star to see if. Odd that September 17 is a Wednesday and no issue was published. Onward to the 18th.
Lubliner.
[edit] I read later they were having trouble with running new equipment and the grain of their paper needed to be changed out.

Last edited:
@lelliott19 I found two brief reports that may bear some interest for your search.
The first one is from Sept. 19, 1862 image 1--

"The enemy's dead, which nearly all fell into our hands, were thickly strewn over the fields, laying in heaps in many places. Our wounded were immediately carried from the field, and the best possible attention given them."

I should point out the initial gathering of wounded were Union. The second report is from Sept. 24, image 1--
under the subheading Sharpsburg mid-page;

"Just outside of Sharpsburg is a small encampment of hospital tents, accommodating the wounded left by the rebels in their retreat. They number three or four hundred. And include many severe cases. Two of the surgeons remain with them. They also receive from our surgeons all the attention and supplies they need. There are not many officers among them that were a higher grade than a captain."

Realizing already that Hallum was found on the field of battle and taken to the Stone House and signed his name on the 25th of September precluding his DOD on Sept. 17, it may be possible to assume he lay on the field for some time after the battle. Possibly the leg wound was aggravated by exposure, and he was not gathered up for a few days. The way I read the article quotes is the Union Doctors gave help to the two confederate surgeons with supplies, and were giving total priority to their own wounded. Maybe it took some time for those in charge to request a signature, or rather he may have been brought off the field late on the 24th?? Just thinking.
Good luck. You got my interest involved.
Lubliner.

@eeric you are not alone in reading The Times :wink:

@lelliott19 I did not see Hallum or a variant anywhere in the lists. Here are the Poffenberger Hospital lists

AntiPoff.png

AntiPoff2.png

I snipped the other GA deaths also for your future reference -

AntiFrank.png

AntiWH.png

That last list is from the White House Hospital (Mr. Line's house) according to the article. There may be a couple of other GA names scattered in - let me know if you want me to check back.

Not to complicate the search for Vincent H. Hallum, I want to add that rootsweb and other geneological info list his name as also being Felix Vincent Hallum.

Back