Sherman "Bummer" Newspaper Article, April, 1865

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Was looking for articles to show how life went from normalcy to madness that April- this was from the 11th- one of the MN papers. Hysterical unless anyone goes right up an anti-Sherman, bummer wall. Yes, we know what a ' Bummer' might really be-this carefully explained definition for the benefit of the reported-to seems to be watered down with manure juice. You can see it right?

" Oh my Lawds Dolly did you see this article on those unwashed Bummer men? "
" See it I did sweet sister Serena! An entire army captured they say with an old mule and a dirty shirt too! "
" Sister, the things you read in the paper make me positively giddy, are you sure it's good for us? What would Poppa say if he knew I bought us the subscription from Mr. Carmichal? "
" You bought that subscription from Mr. Carmichael? Sister, surely you are wrong! I bought the subscription from Mr. Carmichal right after he kissed me under the lilac bush! "
" Sister! What you have revealed is a severe shock to me! My nerves may never be the same! Under the lilac our Sainted Momma planted with her own hands?
Hanging head, a tear trembling on her lashes, Serena nodded.
" Well stop crying at once and tell me all about it! And pass page 3, there's an excellent restorative recipe made from pig's ear and rose hip. Just the thing for catching a man. Mr. Carmichal should be paying us another visit presently~ "
" Yes Sister! "

bl1.JPG

bl2.JPG

bl3.JPG

Was looking for articles to show how life went from normalcy to madness that April- this was from the 11th- one of the MN papers. Hysterical unless anyone goes right up an anti-Sherman, bummer wall. Yes, we know what a ' Bummer' might really be-this carefully explained definition for the benefit of the reported-to seems to be watered down with manure juice. You can see it right?

" Oh my Lawds Dolly did you see this article on those unwashed Bummer men? "
" See it I did sweet sister Serena! An entire army captured they say with an old mule and a dirty shirt too! "
" Sister, the things you read in the paper make me positively giddy, are you sure it's good for us? What would Poppa say if he knew I bought us the subscription from Mr. Carmichal? "
" You bought that subscription from Mr. Carmichael? Sister, surely you are wrong! I bought the subscription from Mr. Carmichal right after he kissed me under the lilac bush! "
" Sister! What you have revealed is a severe shock to me! My nerves may never be the same! Under the lilac our Sainted Momma planted with her own hands?
Hanging head, a tear trembling on her lashes, Serena nodded.
" Well stop crying at once and tell me all about it! And pass page 3, there's an excellent restorative recipe made from pig's ear and rose hip. Just the thing for catching a man. Mr. Carmichal should be paying us another visit presently~ "
" Yes Sister! "

View attachment 64596

View attachment 64597

View attachment 64598
This makes so much sense @JPK Huson 1863 !
Very well depicted in the movie "The Keeping Room" Only days after the "bummers" showed up Sherman's men arrived!

Back