Bully for the Band! Four Brothers in the 10th Vermont Infantry Band

Claude Bauer

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Next on my reading list: Bully for the Band!: The Civil War Letters and Diary of Four Brothers in the 10th Vermont Infantry Band.
"From the commanding call of the bugle at reveille to the reassuring songs from around the campfire at night, music was an integral part of the Civil War soldier's experience. Civil War musicians, however, remain in the background of most military histories. This volume presents the Civil War writings of Charles, Jeremiah, Osman, and Herbert George, four brothers from the town of Newbury, Vermont, who played in the 10th Vermont Infantry regimental band. Their letters and a diary describe the life of an enlisted musician, including the duties of field musicians, the forming of a band, rehearsals and repertory, and performances for officers, troops, and civilians. Despite the hardships they suffered, including the loss of one brother, these writings reveal the George brothers' fraternal bond to be the anchor that sustained them emotionally and ensured that they could continue to supply their comrades with the irreplaceable gift of music."

Has anyone read it? What did you think? This is particularly interesting for me because they were present at the Battle of the Monocacy, here in Frederick, MD, where I belong to the Monocacy Field Music. Although they were a regimental band, not field music, when I'm on the site of the battle, I can't help but imagine what it must have been like for them.

The book Bully for the Band looks interesting but pretty expensive, though I suppose the e-version would work. I found a lot of information in Music and Muskets, Bands and Bandsmen of the American Civil War, 1981 by Kenneth Olsen. It seems, though, that both books feature stories and information on bands of the Eastern Theater.

Back