Ammo Bullets for the Sharps Carbine

ConfederateCanuck

First Sergeant
Hi folks.

Having recently bought an original 1863 Sharps Carbine which I intend to shoot, I need some advice on the size of the bullet mold that I need to cast bullets for it. The bore is in excellent shape. The Groove-to-Groove diameter is 0.536 inches and the Land-to-Land is 0.520.

Also, what bullet shape works best for accuracy and ease of use...."Christmas tree"? Ringtail? Other shapes?

Hi folks.

Having recently bought an original 1863 Sharps Carbine which I intend to shoot, I need some advice on the size of the bullet mold that I need to cast bullets for it. The bore is in excellent shape. The Groove-to-Groove diameter is 0.536 inches and the Land-to-Land is 0.520.

Also, what bullet shape works best for accuracy and ease of use...."Christmas tree"? Ringtail? Other shapes?
[/https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjo7MLT35TnAhXCZd8KHVC_BOgQwqsBMAB6BAgKEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1ggj_uPEXiU&usg=AOvVaw3FMU2ypYqx-ZROl7kWK6dp

Hi folks.

I compete with a 63 Sharps in N-SSA competition. If you're not wrapped around the axles for authenticity, Charlie Hahn and Larry Flees do a breech block mod that allows you to shoot lots of times before the breech starts binding. I had Larry do mine and I can go upwards of 80+ during a skirmish.

As for bullets, I strongly recommend shooting Charlie's Tubes. Charlie Hahn has a tube designed to fit onto the base of a Sharps bullet and it eliminates all the fiddly rolling and still you're shooting a paper cartridge. You'll probably need a 540. Check with Pat over at Lodgewood. Same guy I pointed you at in the Enfield post. Get a sample an see what your gun likes, then get the mold.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will watch the Youtube video first. Poorjack, I will get in touch with the contact you suggested for both the Enfield and the Sharps.

We are forever linked my friend. Lol.

I just got a 1863 sharps carbine too. Mine went through the conversion in 1866 to the 50/70 government. Mine would have been rebored at the same time. so be sure you get the advice for your bore size.

I even have an appointment with Charlie Hahn in a couple weeks when I’m out there.

Any chance you have a number stamped on your stock?

We are forever linked my friend. Lol.

I just got a 1863 sharps carbine too. Mine went through the conversion in 1866 to the 50/70 government. Mine would have been rebored at the same time. so be sure you get the advice for your bore size.

I even have an appointment with Charlie Hahn in a couple weeks when I’m out there.

Any chance you have a number stamped on your stock?
I don't recall seeing a number. Where is yours stamped? How many digits? Better yet, why not post a picture.

I don't recall seeing a number. Where is yours stamped? How many digits? Better yet, why not post a picture.
There are more pics on other links. I found the pics you posted too. Mine is a closet find. I’m getting it checked out in a couple weeks. Than will decide on proper cleaning, if any.

88A67C8B-54A7-4C71-B6FF-51A76B268E18.jpeg

44F03EC7-7743-4851-A5E2-6D4E458B1738.jpeg

Back