Ammo Bullets for the Sharps Carbine

Hi folks.

Having recently bought an original 1863 Sharps Carbine which I intend to shoot, I need some advice on the size of the bullet mold that I need to cast bullets for it. The bore is in excellent shape. The Groove-to-Groove diameter is 0.536 inches and the Land-to-Land is 0.520.

Also, what bullet shape works best for accuracy and ease of use...."Christmas tree"? Ringtail? Other shapes?

Package4

1st Lieutenant
Hi folks.

Having recently bought an original 1863 Sharps Carbine which I intend to shoot, I need some advice on the size of the bullet mold that I need to cast bullets for it. The bore is in excellent shape. The Groove-to-Groove diameter is 0.536 inches and the Land-to-Land is 0.520.

Also, what bullet shape works best for accuracy and ease of use...."Christmas tree"? Ringtail? Other shapes?
[/https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjo7MLT35TnAhXCZd8KHVC_BOgQwqsBMAB6BAgKEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1ggj_uPEXiU&usg=AOvVaw3FMU2ypYqx-ZROl7kWK6dp

poorjack

Corporal
Hi folks.

I compete with a 63 Sharps in N-SSA competition. If you're not wrapped around the axles for authenticity, Charlie Hahn and Larry Flees do a breech block mod that allows you to shoot lots of times before the breech starts binding. I had Larry do mine and I can go upwards of 80+ during a skirmish.

As for bullets, I strongly recommend shooting Charlie's Tubes. Charlie Hahn has a tube designed to fit onto the base of a Sharps bullet and it eliminates all the fiddly rolling and still you're shooting a paper cartridge. You'll probably need a 540. Check with Pat over at Lodgewood. Same guy I pointed you at in the Enfield post. Get a sample an see what your gun likes, then get the mold.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will watch the Youtube video first. Poorjack, I will get in touch with the contact you suggested for both the Enfield and the Sharps.

Mr.Beal

Cadet
We are forever linked my friend. Lol.

I just got a 1863 sharps carbine too. Mine went through the conversion in 1866 to the 50/70 government. Mine would have been rebored at the same time. so be sure you get the advice for your bore size.

I even have an appointment with Charlie Hahn in a couple weeks when I’m out there.

Any chance you have a number stamped on your stock?

We are forever linked my friend. Lol.

I just got a 1863 sharps carbine too. Mine went through the conversion in 1866 to the 50/70 government. Mine would have been rebored at the same time. so be sure you get the advice for your bore size.

I even have an appointment with Charlie Hahn in a couple weeks when I’m out there.

Any chance you have a number stamped on your stock?
I don't recall seeing a number. Where is yours stamped? How many digits? Better yet, why not post a picture.

Mr.Beal

Cadet
I don't recall seeing a number. Where is yours stamped? How many digits? Better yet, why not post a picture.
There are more pics on other links. I found the pics you posted too. Mine is a closet find. I’m getting it checked out in a couple weeks. Than will decide on proper cleaning, if any.

88A67C8B-54A7-4C71-B6FF-51A76B268E18.jpeg

44F03EC7-7743-4851-A5E2-6D4E458B1738.jpeg