First Bull Run Bull Run 1861 And A Missing Piece Of A Story, Help Please?

Description of prisoners from Bull Run arriving in Richmond, from a book compiled by both sides, really. Continuing this thread instead of creating another one. Entire story is too long to repeat, exhausting! What happened after his capture at the farmhouse.

" They arrived at Richmond on the following evening at nine o clock. It had been rumored in the cars that, on their arrival, they would be met by an uncontrollable mob and their lives endangered; but Major Prados assured them that he had with him a guard of one hundred and fifty men, and that there would be no assemblage of people or disturbance. It was a bright moonlight night, and, after waiting at the station for an hour, they were marched through the streets, a distance of a mile to a large brick building on the corner of Main and 26th streets, known as Liggon & Company s Tobacco Factory. They were conducted to the second and third floors of this building- which became so crowded that it was hardly possible for one to lie down, even if he were so disposed. '

From Harper's ( and NYPL ), Liggon's, after the fall of Richmond.
liggons harpers.JPG

" On the 27th, came another prisoner of war, Calvin Huson, Jr., of Rochester, New York. He had been captured at Manassas and was accompanied to Richmond by the Hon. J. A. Orr, a member of the Confederate Congress from Mississippi. When Mr. Huson was first arrested the officers and Mr. Orr, who were near, supposed him to be a United States Senator.

On that day Mr. Huson, attended by one of the Generals, went over the battle-field, which, as he said, presented a most frightful and ghastly spectacle. All the dead of the Federal Army, with their faces black, and bodies swollen to twice their natural size, were lying still unburied. Among the touching sights noticed by him was the body of a soldier who, from all appearances, had been dead longer than his ill-fated associates. Lying upon his back, with both eyes wide open, he gazed intently upon a daguerreotype likeness of a woman, held in one hand. Poor mortal ! In his last moments, in the agony of expir ing nature, he had clutched the image of his beloved wife, and relinquished not his grasp even though life itself was extinct. "

I'm continuing this thread on my grgrgrandfather's brother, also JPK's, not because he's ' ours ' but because his story walks through so much history. Last paragraph above is brand, new to me.
calvin 1860.JPG

Described as ' Fat and funny ' by a reported permitted to see the prisoners in Liggons, have to say that family really was a hoot. IF I ever got around to writing a book, I'd swipe that reporter's description as part of the title. It'd be the Huson's war. I've been on a mission for a lot of years to mark the graves of three brothers who never came home.

Back