Building Federal & Confederate Commands March 1864

My one issue with promoting Cleburne is finding a good replacement commander for his division. Should I replace him with Hindman? He led Govan's old brigade long ago, and is probably the most familiar with the units. However, I do not think highly of him as a commander. Promoting one of the brigadiers to command the division is iffy, since I can't pick between them. Brigadier Polk I orged out of a command, so he is a possibility, but I do not think him a particularly capable division commander. James A. Smith, 2nd most senior brigade commander and later commander of the division after Cleburne's tragic end, is still out wounded.
So, I've narrowed down to 2 choices: BG St. John Liddell, and BG John Kelly. Liddell would be senior to every other brigade commander in the division, even counting Polk. He used to command Govan's brigade, and fought well under Cleburne. At Chickamauga, he capably commanded a demi-division, so he has the command experience. However, the one downside to him is that he is in the Trans Mississippi at the time (Could be wrong though, may be in Mobile; I can't remember well enough), so that goes against the rules.
Kelly, meanwhile, came off of a capable performance commanding a provisional brigade at Chickamauga, and is highly regarded by Cleburne and Liddell. He has command experience leading a cav division, so I have confidence in his ability. His rank dates back to Chickamauga, so he still has seniority. Only downside is his Youth, which will cause animousity amoung the elder commanders.
@Gavrilo Sartorys what say you on this? Who would you choose?

My one issue with promoting Cleburne is finding a good replacement commander for his division. Should I replace him with Hindman? He led Govan's old brigade long ago, and is probably the most familiar with the units. However, I do not think highly of him as a commander. Promoting one of the brigadiers to command the division is iffy, since I can't pick between them. Brigadier Polk I orged out of a command, so he is a possibility, but I do not think him a particularly capable division commander. James A. Smith, 2nd most senior brigade commander and later commander of the division after Cleburne's tragic end, is still out wounded.
So, I've narrowed down to 2 choices: BG St. John Liddell, and BG John Kelly. Liddell would be senior to every other brigade commander in the division, even counting Polk. He used to command Govan's brigade, and fought well under Cleburne. At Chickamauga, he capably commanded a demi-division, so he has the command experience. However, the one downside to him is that he is in the Trans Mississippi at the time (Could be wrong though, may be in Mobile; I can't remember well enough), so that goes against the rules.
Kelly, meanwhile, came off of a capable performance commanding a provisional brigade at Chickamauga, and is highly regarded by Cleburne and Liddell. He has command experience leading a cav division, so I have confidence in his ability. His rank dates back to Chickamauga, so he still has seniority. Only downside is his Youth, which will cause animousity amoung the elder commanders.
@Gavrilo Sartorys what say you on this? Who would you choose?

After your explanation, I think that Kelly is the one I would choose. If Cleburne (who I know quite well) and Liddell (who I know by reputation) regarded him highly, I suppose he could be the right man for the situation. I don't have much sympathy for Hindman but he was one of Cleburne's best friends and they might get along quite well in this configuration. Considering the military situation and your choice of providind confederate armies with C.S.C.T., there is no doubt that Cleburne, who is promoted LTG, will have enough authority and charism to reduce animosity between his subordinates. So if Hindman isn't good enough for you, let's try Kelly. Plus, if you say his seniority isn't a problem, this is good, no one should have any animosity because of his youth. Only seniority matters and superior commanders have to manage their subordinates about it.

I cannot be more precise because my knowledge of small commands in the army structure is near to zero ! I'm quite familiar with armies, corps and divisions organization but I'm lost when talking about sub-units like brigades or regiments. So, considering that I'm not an expert about Kelly and other brigade commanders, I let you choose between him and Hindman (who I know better).

After your explanation, I think that Kelly is the one I would choose. If Cleburne (who I know quite well) and Liddell (who I know by reputation) regarded him highly, I suppose he could be the right man for the situation. I don't have much sympathy for Hindman but he was one of Cleburne's best friends and they might get along quite well in this configuration. Considering the military situation and your choice of providind confederate armies with C.S.C.T., there is no doubt that Cleburne, who is promoted LTG, will have enough authority and charism to reduce animosity between his subordinates. So if Hindman isn't good enough for you, let's try Kelly. Plus, if you say his seniority isn't a problem, this is good, no one should have any animosity because of his youth. Only seniority matters and superior commanders have to manage their subordinates about it.

I cannot be more precise because my knowledge of small commands in the army structure is near to zero ! I'm quite familiar with armies, corps and divisions organization but I'm lost when talking about sub-units like brigades or regiments. So, considering that I'm not an expert about Kelly and other brigade commanders, I let you choose between him and Hindman (who I know better).
Alright. Noted. Kelly it is.

Decided to do some more explaining on my reorg, as I feel some stuff needs clarifying:
In the AoT, Bate's division (which from what I can gathered mustered only 3000 men) is disbanded, its brigades split between other formations. Finley Florida Brigade, which is the size of a small regiment, is merged with Thomas B. Smith's Tennessee and Georgia Brigade, bringing their combined strength to a more respectable 1800 men, and are assigned to strengthen Cheatham's Division. Lewis' Kentucky Brigade (the Kentucky Orphans) are assigned to Hindman's Division (which swaps with W. H. T. Walker's division in the 1st Corps, as Cleburne is in command and the 2 get along better). Speaking of Cleburne, he is promoted to command 1st Corps, I decided to place BG John B. Kelly in command of his division. I had planned on putting BG St. John Liddell in command of the division, while Kelly commanded the C.S.C.T. division; however, I have been convinced, since Liddell had been transferred to the Transmississippi, would not be quickly reassigned. So, I chose Kelly, as he is a proven commander, would rank over most of the brigade commanders (minus Polk, but that I'll address later), and was the Colonel of the 8th Arkansas of Govan's brigade, making him a "native" of the division. Polk's brigade was under-strength, so I had his brigade disbanded, the Arkansas regiments joining Govan, the 5th Confederate and 35th and 48th Tennessee to Granbury's Texas Brigade, and 2nd Tennessee to T. B. Smith.
I must also note that support for the C.S.C.T. would be quite high in this unit, and many of the men would volunteer to help organize these units, meaning the division would deplete in number. However, this could be remedied by having a a black brigade assigned to the division. However, I leave the numbers as is for now as I do not have enough knowledge of unit organization to say how many officers would be needed to form a regiment.
I have assigned A. P. Stewart to command 2nd Corps instead of Hood, because he is the more capable subordinate, has proven his ability as a commander, and would be overseeing command of his old division, creating a sense of natural attachment. I had Hood take command of the 3rd Corps, as it is the smaller command, with 2 full divisions and a small division commanded by Walthall. This would also give Hood command over a Texan Brigade (Ector's), so I expect that would make him a happier man.

Edit: I am thinking that 23,000 men in the C.S.C.T. is a little low, maybe I could pump that up to 30K. Thing is, also thinking about possible promotions to command this force, and whether I should promote certain people to command. For example, Tige Anderson of Field's division is a capable brigade commander, and his brigade I've noticed had the largest support for the proposition. However, I do not know if he shared the same view with his troops. If he did, I'd promote him to command a division of C.S.C.T., maybe I'd pick him over Jenkins (Note: put Jenkins in command of that division because he is a noted opportunist, and while I have no clue his view on the slave soldier issue morally, I'd expect him to use it for the sake of promotion) in the one listed with Beauregard. I'd merge his old brigade with Benning's, as they are at mid strength and may lose more men due to the C.S.C.T. Maybe the entire Brigade disbands and forms a division with the freed up personnel. I'd love to do this, but I have no real gauge on the man himself.

Last edited:
Naturally as it's me I'd say McClellan should have some job, but he's very senior - as a MG(R) he outranks almost everyone except Grant. However his real specialities are regular approaches and training.
It'd be interesting to contemplate putting him in charge of the Army of the James and giving him the AotP's mostly-unneeded siege train.

One caveat I'll note with the corps assignments you give the Army of the Potomac is that those corps aren't individually going to be very big. Historically the three infantry and one cavalry corps of the AotP that crossed the Rapidan were something like 120,000 men PFD in total (though they quickly suffered heavy casualties) but that was because they were formed from consolidating several smaller corps. That plus 9th Corps (here shown as part of the Army of the James) was what made the 142,500 man force Grant crossed the Rapidan with.

If what you're going to do is instead pump up the six corps so they're each about 24,000 strong, you've got about the strength for the Wilderness, but with 9th Corps on the James that means drawing on the troops Grant historically got as reinforcements before Cold Harbor (actually about half of them), which means that the Overland campaign is being conducted with ca. 20,000 fewer troops all told assuming the same amount of reinforcements. This might mean trouble. (If you give the Army of the Potomac all the historical reinforcements that they got from the north in one big lump sum, while taking 9th Corps away from them, it's about 170,000 men PFD; the cavalry's about 17,000 PFD, so the other five corps are about 30,000 PFD each and are corps in fact as well as in name.)

OTOH, if it means that it's McClellan on the James (with 9th Corps, the siege train, plus the historical strength of the active part of the Army of the James) then there's nearly 60,000 PFD with good siege artillery and a good commander at regular approaches pressuring Petersburg and/or Richmond. So it might come out as a good outcome, especially if Lee can't pull in many troops from the Petersburg area.)

I believe that Mac was senior Major General, as he was named as such May 14th 1861. Then Halleck, then Grant.

I believe that Mac was senior Major General, as he was named as such May 14th 1861. Then Halleck, then Grant.
McClellan is senior MG(R) but he's still outranked by any three-star general. Halleck is the GiC (which is a separate three-star slot to which any MG(R) can be appointed and which ranks all MG) and Grant is a LG, so both Grant and Halleck rank him.*
(That's assuming that Grant is appointed LG as per history, of course.)

It would also be possible for Lincoln to appoint someone LG(V) if he wanted them to rank McClellan, as far as I can tell - unlike with the (R) slots you don't need to deal with establishment sizes for (V) slots.

* Interestingly this means that until Halleck took the GiC slot in July McClellan was technically in the GiC slot instead, because there wasn't another slot for him to occupy. Halleck and McClellan swapped places on the org chart in July, which is how Halleck could give him legal orders.

So it's clear, by the way, at this time a brevet was a substantive rank*.
There was an org chart of the regular army which defined one's rank in the "permanent slots" (usually in the regiment, though not always because some slots were extra-regimental) and then brevets raised one's rank in the army when not acting as part of the regiment.
Regular rank was permanent and could not be revoked.

This interacts with general rank etc. in the Civil War mostly because of the concept of slots. The only way to add extra slots to the regular army org chart - and thus get someone with a regular rank of general - was by an Act of Congress.
The staff of the line army as of (e.g.) early 1862 had three MG(R) slots and eight BG(R) slots - up from one and three prewar - and these slots were pretty much always full. However, there was also volunteer rank, which could be revoked at any time but which had no real hard limits on who could be appointed to it. For most of the war any time someone is promoted to MG they're being promoted to MG(V).

This is interesting because the way the "who can give orders to whom" calculation goes is rank, type, seniority.

Any LG ranks any MG.
Any MG(R) ranks any MG(V).
And within the ranks of MG(V) or MG(R) it goes by date of commission.

So:

Grant ranks Meade because Grant is a LG and Meade is a MG.
McClellan ranks Meade because McClellan is a MG(R) and Meade is a MG(V).
And Burnside ranks Meade because Burnside's date of rank as MG(V) is 18 March 1862 and Meade's date of rank as MG(V) is 29 September 1862.

Importantly, if (say) a fourth MG(R) slot had been added and Meade had been promoted into it, he'd have ranked Burnside (but not McClellan). However if Meade was promoted to LG(V), he'd then rank both Burnside and McClellan.

* it was changed after the ACW because there were such ludicrous numbers of generals trying to fit into the slots - there were 15 slots for line generals in 1865, but 26 generals in the cavalry alone all trying to squeeze in...

So, posting a minor revision, having G. T. Anderson's Brigade disbanded and forming a division of about 11 regiments/Battalions

Army of Northern Virginia: General R. E. Lee (70830)
-1st Corps: LtG Longstreet (16830)
--1st Division: BG Joe Kershaw (5200)
---1st Brigade (Kershaw's): Col. John D. Kennedy (SC) (1590)
---2nd Brigade: BG Humphreys (MS) (940)
---3rd Brigade: BG Wofford (GA) (1615)
---4th Brigade: BG Goode Bryan (GA) (1025)
--2nd Division: MG Field (4700)
---1st Brigade: BG John Bratton (SC) (1590)
---2nd Brigade: BG W. Perry (AL) (1260)
---4th Brigade: BG Benning (GA) (1000)
---5th Brigade: BG John Gregg (TX/AK) (850)
--3rd Division: MG George Pickett (5335)
---1st Brigade: Col. W. T. Terry (VA) (1110)
---2nd Brigade: BG Eppa Hunton (VA) (1660)
---3rd Brigade: BG Barton (VA) (1210)
---4th Brigade: BG Corse (VA) (1355)
--Corps Artillery: BG E. P. Alexander (1595)
-2nd Corps: LtG Jubal Early/MG J. B. Gordon (20880)
--1st Division: MG E. Johnson (6385)
---1st (Stonewall) Brigade: BG James Walker (VA) (1320)
---2nd Brigade: BG J. M. Jones (VA) (1850)
---3rd Brigade: BG Steuart (VA/NC/MD) (1610)
---4th Brigade: BG Harry T. Hays (LA) (1605)
--2nd Division: MG John B. Gordon/BG S. D. Ramseur (6470)
---1st Brigade: Col. Clement A. Evans (GA) (2270)
---2nd Brigade: BG Pegram (VA) (1520)
---3rd Brigade: BG R. D. Johnston (NC) (1320)
---4th Brigade (Hoke's): BG Leroy Stafford (NC) (1360)
--3rd Division: MG Rodes (6115)
---1st Brigade: BG Bryan Grimes (NC) (1440)
---2nd Brigade: BG Daniel (NC) (1500)
---3rd Brigade: BG Doles (GA) (1365)
---4th Brigade: BG Battle (AL) (1810)
--Corps Artillery: BG Armistead Long (1700)
-3rd Corps: MG R. H. Anderson (23795)
--1st Division: MG Heth (7450)
---1st Brigade: BG Cooke (NC) (1960)
---2nd Brigade: BG Kirkland (NC) (2150)
---3rd Brigade: BG J. R. Davis (MS) (1690)
---4th/5th Brigade: BG Henry Walker (1650)
----VA units: 895
----AL/TN units: 755
--2nd Division: MG Cadmus Wilcox (7915)
---1st Brigade: BG Lane (NC) (2350)
---2nd Brigade: BG McGowan (SC) (2350)
---3rd Brigade: BG Scales (NC) (1735)
---4th Brigade: BG Thomas (GA) (1600)
--3rd Division: BG William Mahone (6520)
---1st Brigade: BG Abner Perrin (AL) (1635)
---2nd Brigade: Col. Weisiger (VA) (1805)
---3rd Brigade: BG Harris (MS) (1395)
---4th Brigade: BG A. R. Wright/BG Moxley Sorrel (GA) (1685)
--Corps Art: Col. Reuben Walker (1910)
-Cavalry Corps: MG JEB Stuart (9320)
--1st Division: MG Wade Hampton (2475)
---1st Brigade: BG P. M. B. Young (SC/GA/MS)
---2nd Brigade (Laurel Brigade): BG Tex Rosser (VA)
--2nd Division: MG Fitzhigh Lee (3450)
---1st Brigade: BG L. Lomax (VA)
---2nd Brigade: BG Wickham (VA)
--3rd Division: MG Rooney Lee (2905)
---1st Brigade: BG Chambliss (VA)
---2nd Brigade: BG James Gordon (NC)
--Horse Artillery: Maj. Chew (470)
-Reserve Artillery: BG Pendleton (#?)

Army of Southern Virginia: Gen P. G. T. Beauregard (36000)
-1st Corps: LtG Dick Ewell (14860)
--1st Division: MG Robert Hoke (6800)
---1st Brigade: BG Clingman (NC) (1610)
---2nd Brigade: BG Johnson Hagood (SC) (1580)
---3rd Brigade: BG Wing Martin (NC) (1890)
---4th Brigade: BG Alfred Colquitt (GA) (1720)
--3rd (C.S.C.T.) Division: BG Micah Jenkins (8060)
---1st C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. J. C. Pemberton (VA) (5 Regiments; 3100)
---2nd C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. D. S. Troy (AL) (4 Regiments; 2480)
---3rd C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Thomas G. Lee (NC) (4 Regiments; 2480)
-2nd Corps: LtG A. P. Hill (15668)
--2nd Division: MG Bushrod Johnson (8848)
---1st Brigade: Col. Wallace (SC) (1887)
---2nd Brigade: BG Gracie (AL) (1578)
---3rd Brigade: BG Matt Ransom (NC) (2876)
---4th Brigade: BG Wise (VA) (1543)
---5th Brigade: Col. Fulton (TN) (964)
--4th (C.S.C.T.) Division: BG G. T. Anderson (6820)
---1st C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. John Towers/Col. George Carmichael (GA) (GA) (3 Regiments; 1860)
---2nd C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Francis Little (GA) (3 Regiments; 1860)
---3rd C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Jack Brown (GA) (3 Regiments; 1860)
---4th C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Bolivar Gee (GA) (2 Regiments; 1240)
-Richmond Defense: MG G. W. Custis Lee (1628)
-Drewry's Bluff Garrison: (395)
-Chaffin's Bluff Garrison: (435)
-2nd MD Inf Reg: (286)
-Cavalry Brigade: BG James Dearing (NC/GA) (1400)
-Holcombe Leg. Cav Bn: (SC) (201)
-Artillery: Col. Stalpeton Crutchfield (733)

West Virginia Department: MG John Breckinridge (12500)
-1st Division: BG Echols (4285)
--1st Brigade: Col. George S. Patton (VA) (1345)
--2nd Brigade: BG Gabriel Wharton (VA) (1040)
--3rd Brigade: Col. Thomas A Smith (VA) (1400)
--Thomas' Legion: Col. Love (NC) (500)
-2nd Division (Cavalry): BG Grumble Jones (3300)
--1st Brigade: BG Imboden (VA) (900)
--2nd Brigade: BG McCausland (VA) (1500)
--3rd Brigade: BG W. L. Jackson (VA) (900)
-3rd Division (Cavalry): MG R. Ransom (4200)
--1st Brigade: BG B. T. Johnson (MD/VA) (1600)
--2nd Brigade: BG J. C. Vaughn (TN) (2000)
-43rd VA Rangers: Ltc. (600)
-Artillery: Maj J. Floyd King

Dept of the South: LtG D. H. Hill
-NC Dept: MG Whiting
--NC Junior Reserves: BG Stovall (4000)
--Wilmington Defenses: Col. Lamb (1400)
--5th C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Frank Armistead (NC) (4 Regiments; 2480)
--Local Defense Brigade: BG L. Baker (1250)
--1st Brigade (Formerly Frazer's Brigade, lost in the Cumberland): BG A. W. Reynolds/ Col. G. W. Clayton (GA/NC/VA) (1986)
-SC Dept: MG Patton Anderson
--1st Brigade: BG Shanks Evans (2500)
--4th C.S.C.T. Brigade: BG S. Elliott (SC) (5 Regiments; 3100)
--Artillery: Col. A. J. Gonzales
-Florida Dept: MG William Loring (~)
--1st Brigade: BG Joseph Finegan (FL) (1360)
--2nd Brigade: BG Perry (FL) (610)
--3rd Brigade: Col. George P. Harrison (GA) (~1500)
--1st FL C.S.C.T. Regiment: (310)

Army of Tennessee: LtG Hardee ()
-1st Corps: MG Patrick Cleburne (17282)
--1st Division: MG Cheatham (6080)
---1st Brigade: BG Maney/Col. Carter (TN) (1460)
---2nd Brigade: BG Vaughan (TN) (1081)
---3rd Brigade: BG Strahl (TN) (1500)
---4th Brigade: BG T. B. Smith (TN/GA/FL) (2039)
--2nd Division: MG John Kelly (5179)
---1st Brigade: BG Govan (AK) (1672)
---2nd Brigade: BG Granbury (TX/TN) (1566)
---3rd Brigade: BG Lowrey (AL/MS) (1941)
--3rd Division: MG Hindman (6023)
---1st Brigade: BG Manigault (AL/SC) (1255)
---2nd Brigade: Col. G. D. Johnston (AL) (1423)
---3rd Brigade: BG Tucker (MS) (2145)
---4th Brigade: BG Lewis (KY) (1200)
-2nd Corps: MG A. P. Stewart (15774)
--1st Division: MG W. H. T. Walker (5248)
---1st Brigade: BG Gist (SC/GA) (2061)
---2nd Brigade: Col. G. A. Smith (GA) (1885)
---3rd Brigade: BG J. K. Jackson (GA) (1302)
--2nd Division: MG Clayton (4911)
---1st Brigade: BG Holtzclaw (AL/GA) (1546)
---2nd Brigade: Col. Robert Henderson (AL/GA) (1450)
---3rd Brigade: BG Gibson (LA) (1915)
--3rd Division: BG Brown (5615)
---1st Brigade: Col. Palmer (TN) (1580)
---2nd Brigade: BG Pettus (AL) (1543)
---3rd Brigade: Col. Washington Hardy (VA/NC) (1210)
---4th Brigade: BG Cumming (GA) (1397)
-3rd Corps: LtG Hood (12400)
--1st Division: MG Mansfield Lovell (5570)
---1st Brigade: BG Featherston (MS) (1757)
---2nd Brigade: BG J. Adams (MS) (2213)
---3rd Brigade: BG T. Scott (AL/LA) (1600)
--2nd Division: MG S. G. French (4430)
---1st Brigade: BG Ector (TX/NC) (1677)
---2nd Brigade: BG Cockrell (MO) (1190)
---3rd Brigade: BG Sears (MS) (1563)
--3rd Division: BG E. Walthall (2400)
---1st Brigade: BG Cantey (AL/MS) (1600)
---2nd Brigade: BG D. H. Reynolds (AK) (800)
-3rd C.S.C.T. Division: BG Henry B. Davidson (6820)
--1st Brigade: Col. Leon von Zinken (GA) (1860)
--2nd Brigade: Col. John C. Moore (AL) (2480)
--3rd Brigade: Col. John E. Murray (GA/TN) (2480)
-1st Cavalry Corps: MG Joe Wheeler (6356)
--1st Division: MG Martin (3159)
---1st Brigade: BG Iverson (GA) (862)
---2nd Brigade: BG Allen (AL) (1019)
---3rd Brigade: Col. Robert H. Anderson (GA/AL) (1278)
--2nd Division: BG Humes (3197)
---1st Brigade: Col. Ashby (TN) (750)
---2nd Brigade: Col. Grigsby (KY) (789)
---3rd Brigade: BG Harrison (AK/TN/TX) (750)
---4th Brigade: BG Ferguson (AL/MS) (908)
-Artillery Corps: BG Francis Shoup (3227)

-2nd Cavalry Corps: MG N. B. Forrest (5310)
--1st Division: BG W. H. Jackson (1775)
---1st Brigade: BG F. Armstrong (MS) (1018)
---2nd Brigade: BG Sul Ross (TX) (757)
--2nd Division: BG Chalmers (3535)
---1st Brigade: Col. Rucker (TN) (1127)
---2nd Brigade: BG Dibrell (TN/KY) (1173)
---3rd Brigade: BG Bell (TN) (1235)

Georgia Militia: MG G. W. Smith (5000)

Alabama/Mississippi Dept: MG Dabney Maury
-Mobile Defense: MG Stevenson
--1st Brigade: BG Quarles (AL/LA/TN) (1461)
--2nd Brigade: BG A. Baker (21st AL + 22nd LA Con; 1030)
---22nd LA Consolidated (Units from the surrender of Vicksburg): Col. Isaac Patton (780)
--Reserve Brigade: BG Bryan Thomas (1200)
--C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Henry Maury (2480)
-Gholson's MS Cavalry/Militia (1200)
-3rd Division, 2nd Cavalry Corps, AoT: BG Abraham Buford (2000)
--1st Brigade: BG Clanton (AL) (800)
--2nd Brigade: BG Roddey (AL) (1200)
-4th Division, 2nd Cavalry Corps, AoT: BG Wirt Adams (2850)
--1st Brigade: BG Wirt Adams (MS) (1425)
--2nd Brigade: BG Benjamin Hill (AL/MS/TN) (1425)

Last edited:
Another minor revision, giving Col. William Oates (of 15th Alabama, Law's Brigade, known for involvement assault on Little Round Top) command of the 2nd Brigade of BG Jenkins' C.S.C.T. Division.

Army of Northern Virginia: General R. E. Lee (70830)
-1st Corps: LtG Longstreet (16830)
--1st Division: BG Joe Kershaw (5200)
---1st Brigade (Kershaw's): Col. John D. Kennedy (SC) (1590)
---2nd Brigade: BG Humphreys (MS) (940)
---3rd Brigade: BG Wofford (GA) (1615)
---4th Brigade: BG Goode Bryan (GA) (1025)
--2nd Division: MG Field (4700)
---1st Brigade: BG John Bratton (SC) (1590)
---2nd Brigade: BG W. Perry (AL) (1260)
---4th Brigade: BG Benning (GA) (1000)
---5th Brigade: BG John Gregg (TX/AK) (850)
--3rd Division: MG George Pickett (5335)
---1st Brigade: Col. W. T. Terry (VA) (1110)
---2nd Brigade: BG Eppa Hunton (VA) (1660)
---3rd Brigade: BG Barton (VA) (1210)
---4th Brigade: BG Corse (VA) (1355)
--Corps Artillery: BG E. P. Alexander (1595)
-2nd Corps: LtG Jubal Early/MG J. B. Gordon (20880)
--1st Division: MG E. Johnson (6385)
---1st (Stonewall) Brigade: BG James Walker (VA) (1320)
---2nd Brigade: BG J. M. Jones (VA) (1850)
---3rd Brigade: BG Steuart (VA/NC/MD) (1610)
---4th Brigade: BG Harry T. Hays (LA) (1605)
--2nd Division: MG John B. Gordon/BG S. D. Ramseur (6470)
---1st Brigade: Col. Clement A. Evans (GA) (2270)
---2nd Brigade: BG Pegram (VA) (1520)
---3rd Brigade: BG R. D. Johnston (NC) (1320)
---4th Brigade (Hoke's): BG Leroy Stafford (NC) (1360)
--3rd Division: MG Rodes (6115)
---1st Brigade: BG Bryan Grimes (NC) (1440)
---2nd Brigade: BG Daniel (NC) (1500)
---3rd Brigade: BG Doles (GA) (1365)
---4th Brigade: BG Battle (AL) (1810)
--Corps Artillery: BG Armistead Long (1700)
-3rd Corps: MG R. H. Anderson (23795)
--1st Division: MG Heth (7450)
---1st Brigade: BG Cooke (NC) (1960)
---2nd Brigade: BG Kirkland (NC) (2150)
---3rd Brigade: BG J. R. Davis (MS) (1690)
---4th/5th Brigade: BG Henry Walker (1650)
----VA units: 895
----AL/TN units: 755
--2nd Division: MG Cadmus Wilcox (7915)
---1st Brigade: BG Lane (NC) (2350)
---2nd Brigade: BG McGowan (SC) (2350)
---3rd Brigade: BG Scales (NC) (1735)
---4th Brigade: BG Thomas (GA) (1600)
--3rd Division: BG William Mahone (6520)
---1st Brigade: BG Abner Perrin (AL) (1635)
---2nd Brigade: Col. Weisiger (VA) (1805)
---3rd Brigade: BG Harris (MS) (1395)
---4th Brigade: BG A. R. Wright/BG Moxley Sorrel (GA) (1685)
--Corps Art: Col. Reuben Walker (1910)
-Cavalry Corps: MG JEB Stuart (9320)
--1st Division: MG Wade Hampton (2475)
---1st Brigade: BG P. M. B. Young (SC/GA/MS)
---2nd Brigade (Laurel Brigade): BG Tex Rosser (VA)
--2nd Division: MG Fitzhigh Lee (3450)
---1st Brigade: BG L. Lomax (VA)
---2nd Brigade: BG Wickham (VA)
--3rd Division: MG Rooney Lee (2905)
---1st Brigade: BG Chambliss (VA)
---2nd Brigade: BG James Gordon (NC)
--Horse Artillery: Maj. Chew (470)
-Reserve Artillery: BG Pendleton (#?)

Army of Southern Virginia: Gen P. G. T. Beauregard (36000)
-1st Corps: LtG Dick Ewell (14860)
--1st Division: MG Robert Hoke (6800)
---1st Brigade: BG Clingman (NC) (1610)
---2nd Brigade: BG Johnson Hagood (SC) (1580)
---3rd Brigade: BG Wing Martin (NC) (1890)
---4th Brigade: BG Alfred Colquitt (GA) (1720)
--3rd (C.S.C.T.) Division: BG Micah Jenkins (8060)
---1st C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. J. C. Pemberton (VA) (5 Regiments; 3100)
---2nd C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. William C. Oates (AL) (4 Regiments; 2480)
---3rd C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Thomas G. Lee (NC) (4 Regiments; 2480)
-2nd Corps: LtG A. P. Hill (15668)
--2nd Division: MG Bushrod Johnson (8848)
---1st Brigade: Col. Wallace (SC) (1887)
---2nd Brigade: BG Gracie (AL) (1578)
---3rd Brigade: BG Matt Ransom (NC) (2876)
---4th Brigade: BG Wise (VA) (1543)
---5th Brigade: Col. Fulton (TN) (964)
--4th (C.S.C.T.) Division: BG G. T. Anderson (6820)
---1st C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. John Towers/Col. George Carmichael (GA) (GA) (3 Regiments; 1860)
---2nd C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Francis Little (GA) (3 Regiments; 1860)
---3rd C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Jack Brown (GA) (3 Regiments; 1860)
---4th C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Bolivar Gee (GA) (2 Regiments; 1240)
-Richmond Defense: MG G. W. Custis Lee (1628)
-Drewry's Bluff Garrison: (395)
-Chaffin's Bluff Garrison: (435)
-2nd MD Inf Reg: (286)
-Cavalry Brigade: BG James Dearing (NC/GA) (1400)
-Holcombe Leg. Cav Bn: (SC) (201)
-Artillery: Col. Stalpeton Crutchfield (733)

West Virginia Department: MG John Breckinridge (12500)
-1st Division: BG Echols (4285)
--1st Brigade: Col. George S. Patton (VA) (1345)
--2nd Brigade: BG Gabriel Wharton (VA) (1040)
--3rd Brigade: Col. Thomas A Smith (VA) (1400)
--Thomas' Legion: Col. Love (NC) (500)
-2nd Division (Cavalry): BG Grumble Jones (3300)
--1st Brigade: BG Imboden (VA) (900)
--2nd Brigade: BG McCausland (VA) (1500)
--3rd Brigade: BG W. L. Jackson (VA) (900)
-3rd Division (Cavalry): MG R. Ransom (4200)
--1st Brigade: BG B. T. Johnson (MD/VA) (1600)
--2nd Brigade: BG J. C. Vaughn (TN) (2000)
-43rd VA Rangers: Ltc. (600)
-Artillery: Maj J. Floyd King

Dept of the South: LtG D. H. Hill
-NC Dept: MG Whiting
--NC Junior Reserves: BG Stovall (4000)
--Wilmington Defenses: Col. Lamb (1400)
--5th C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Frank Armistead (NC) (4 Regiments; 2480)
--Local Defense Brigade: BG L. Baker (1250)
--1st Brigade (Formerly Frazer's Brigade, lost in the Cumberland): BG A. W. Reynolds/ Col. G. W. Clayton (GA/NC/VA) (1986)
-SC Dept: MG Patton Anderson
--1st Brigade: BG Shanks Evans (2500)
--4th C.S.C.T. Brigade: BG S. Elliott (SC) (5 Regiments; 3100)
--Artillery: Col. A. J. Gonzales
-Florida Dept: MG William Loring (~)
--1st Brigade: BG Joseph Finegan (FL) (1360)
--2nd Brigade: BG Perry (FL) (610)
--3rd Brigade: Col. George P. Harrison (GA) (~1500)
--1st FL C.S.C.T. Regiment: (310)

Army of Tennessee: LtG Hardee ()
-1st Corps: MG Patrick Cleburne (17282)
--1st Division: MG Cheatham (6080)
---1st Brigade: BG Maney/Col. Carter (TN) (1460)
---2nd Brigade: BG Vaughan (TN) (1081)
---3rd Brigade: BG Strahl (TN) (1500)
---4th Brigade: BG T. B. Smith (TN/GA/FL) (2039)
--2nd Division: MG John Kelly (5179)
---1st Brigade: BG Govan (AK) (1672)
---2nd Brigade: BG Granbury (TX/TN) (1566)
---3rd Brigade: BG Lowrey (AL/MS) (1941)
--3rd Division: MG Hindman (6023)
---1st Brigade: BG Manigault (AL/SC) (1255)
---2nd Brigade: Col. G. D. Johnston (AL) (1423)
---3rd Brigade: BG Tucker (MS) (2145)
---4th Brigade: BG Lewis (KY) (1200)
-2nd Corps: MG A. P. Stewart (15774)
--1st Division: MG W. H. T. Walker (5248)
---1st Brigade: BG Gist (SC/GA) (2061)
---2nd Brigade: Col. G. A. Smith (GA) (1885)
---3rd Brigade: BG J. K. Jackson (GA) (1302)
--2nd Division: MG Clayton (4911)
---1st Brigade: BG Holtzclaw (AL/GA) (1546)
---2nd Brigade: Col. Robert Henderson (AL/GA) (1450)
---3rd Brigade: BG Gibson (LA) (1915)
--3rd Division: BG Brown (5615)
---1st Brigade: Col. Palmer (TN) (1580)
---2nd Brigade: BG Pettus (AL) (1543)
---3rd Brigade: Col. Washington Hardy (VA/NC) (1210)
---4th Brigade: BG Cumming (GA) (1397)
-3rd Corps: LtG Hood (12400)
--1st Division: MG Mansfield Lovell (5570)
---1st Brigade: BG Featherston (MS) (1757)
---2nd Brigade: BG J. Adams (MS) (2213)
---3rd Brigade: BG T. Scott (AL/LA) (1600)
--2nd Division: MG S. G. French (4430)
---1st Brigade: BG Ector (TX/NC) (1677)
---2nd Brigade: BG Cockrell (MO) (1190)
---3rd Brigade: BG Sears (MS) (1563)
--3rd Division: BG E. Walthall (2400)
---1st Brigade: BG Cantey (AL/MS) (1600)
---2nd Brigade: BG D. H. Reynolds (AK) (800)
-3rd C.S.C.T. Division: BG Henry B. Davidson (6820)
--1st Brigade: Col. Leon von Zinken (GA) (1860)
--2nd Brigade: Col. John C. Moore (AL) (2480)
--3rd Brigade: Col. John E. Murray (GA/TN) (2480)
-1st Cavalry Corps: MG Joe Wheeler (6356)
--1st Division: MG Martin (3159)
---1st Brigade: BG Iverson (GA) (862)
---2nd Brigade: BG Allen (AL) (1019)
---3rd Brigade: Col. Robert H. Anderson (GA/AL) (1278)
--2nd Division: BG Humes (3197)
---1st Brigade: Col. Ashby (TN) (750)
---2nd Brigade: Col. Grigsby (KY) (789)
---3rd Brigade: BG Harrison (AK/TN/TX) (750)
---4th Brigade: BG Ferguson (AL/MS) (908)
-Artillery Corps: BG Francis Shoup (3227)

-2nd Cavalry Corps: MG N. B. Forrest (5310)
--1st Division: BG W. H. Jackson (1775)
---1st Brigade: BG F. Armstrong (MS) (1018)
---2nd Brigade: BG Sul Ross (TX) (757)
--2nd Division: BG Chalmers (3535)
---1st Brigade: Col. Rucker (TN) (1127)
---2nd Brigade: BG Dibrell (TN/KY) (1173)
---3rd Brigade: BG Bell (TN) (1235)

Georgia Militia: MG G. W. Smith (5000)

Alabama/Mississippi Dept: MG Dabney Maury
-Mobile Defense: MG Stevenson
--1st Brigade: BG Quarles (AL/LA/TN) (1461)
--2nd Brigade: BG A. Baker (21st AL + 22nd LA Con; 1030)
---22nd LA Consolidated (Units from the surrender of Vicksburg): Col. Isaac Patton (780)
--Reserve Brigade: BG Bryan Thomas (1200)
--C.S.C.T. Brigade: Col. Henry Maury (2480)
-Gholson's MS Cavalry/Militia (1200)
-3rd Division, 2nd Cavalry Corps, AoT: BG Abraham Buford (2000)
--1st Brigade: BG Clanton (AL) (800)
--2nd Brigade: BG Roddey (AL) (1200)
-4th Division, 2nd Cavalry Corps, AoT: BG Wirt Adams (2850)
--1st Brigade: BG Wirt Adams (MS) (1425)
--2nd Brigade: BG Benjamin Hill (AL/MS/TN) (1425)

I wonder if it's feasible for the CSA to just make Cleburne IG of Musketry and give him carte blanche. If the CSA suddenly got good at musketry - as in, line infantry trained to use the Enfield to a good effect, and Cleburne actually did train his line troops in musketry out of the Hythe handbook - then it would give exactly the kind of massive qualitative improvement that might let them turn the war around even with the numbers problem.

I wonder if it's feasible for the CSA to just make Cleburne IG of Musketry and give him carte blanche. If the CSA suddenly got good at musketry - as in, line infantry trained to use the Enfield to a good effect, and Cleburne actually did train his line troops in musketry out of the Hythe handbook - then it would give exactly the kind of massive qualitative improvement that might let them turn the war around even with the numbers problem.
I mean, that could be a good what if discussion thread on its own, putting Patrick Cleburne in command of the Army of Tennessee. It'd be a jump in rank definitely, but given how poorly the rest of the army had done at Missionary Ridge, it could be possible. Though of course this would cause issue with seniority disputes and if he'd actually had strategic capabilities to back up his tactical prowess.

I mean, that could be a good what if discussion thread on its own, putting Patrick Cleburne in command of the Army of Tennessee. It'd be a jump in rank definitely, but given how poorly the rest of the army had done at Missionary Ridge, it could be possible. Though of course this would cause issue with seniority disputes and if he'd actually had strategic capabilities to back up his tactical prowess.
That's why I was suggesting making him IG of Musketry. It means he doesn't have to handle strategic issues etc., just get the Confederate armies as good at musketry as possible.

Based on the effects at Liberty Gap, it wouldn't be entirely out of the ordinary if he improved the effectiveness of Confederate troops by something like a factor of six (which equates to being able to fight on even terms when outnumbered about 2.5:1, or a comparable improvement on whatever the situation was already).

Sorry, a long time absent because of work at university.

Concerning the Union OOB in the East, I worked on it a little this week, including the problem with the small size of the corps. I also took note of what have been said and noticed by others before.

I chose to dissolve the 8th Corps and to merge its troops in the Army of the Potomac. The 22nd Corps would be reducd to the size of a division while the 5th Corps will be detached in the Valley to prevent any confederate attempt to seize the Union capital. I don't know precisely how many brigades could be formed from the 8th & 22nd (if anyone have any information ...). The 1st & 3rd Corps will keep their integrity with these extra troops provided.

I'm considering that each brigade is composed of approximately 2,400 infantrymen.

Cavalry Corps doesn't appear in this OOB (I'm concentrating only on infantry, sorry).

UNION ARMY, EASTERN THEATER

Commander-in-chief : LTG (USA) Grant
Chief-of-staff : MG (USA) Halleck

I - Army of the Potomac : MG (USA) Meade (promoted regular MG) = 84,000

- First Corps : MG (USA) Hancock (junior to Meade) = 24,000

--- 1st Division : MG (USV) Doubleday (should be given a field command, tough and skilled officer) = 7,200
------ 1st (Iron) Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 3rd Brigade (from the old 3rd Division)

--- 2nd Division : MG (USV) Wadsworth = 7,200
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 3rd Brigade (from the old 3rd Division)

--- 3rd (new) Division : MG (USV) Ricketts = 9,600
------ 1st Brigade (from the 22nd Corps)
------ 2nd Brigade (from the 22nd Corps)
------ 3rd Brigade (from the 22nd Corps)
------ 4th Brigade (from the 22nd Corps)

- Second Corps : MG (USV) Warren = 21,600

--- 1st Division : MG (USV) Barlow (promoted) = 7,200
------ 1st Brigade (consolidated with the old 3rd Brigade)
------ 2nd (Irish) Brigade (consolidated with the old 3rd Brigade)
------ 3rd (new) Brigade (from the 8th Corps)

--- 2nd Division : MG (USV) Gibbon (promoted) = 7,200
------ 2nd Brigade (consolidated with the old 3rd Brigade)

--- 3rd Division : MG (USV) Augur = 7,200

- Third Corps : MG (USV) Ord = 19,200

--- 1st (consolidated) Division : MG (USV) Birney = 9,600
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 3rd Brigade
------ 4th Brigade (from the old 3rd Division)

--- 2nd (consolidated) Division : MG (USV) Humphreys = 9,600
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 3rd Brigade
------ 4th Brigade (from the old 3rd Division)

- 6th Corps : MG (USV) Sheridan = 19,200

--- 1st (consolidated) Division : MG (USV) Newton (promoted but returning to division command) = 9,600
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 3rd Brigade
------ 4th Brigade (from the 8th Corps)

--- 2nd (consolidated) Division : MG (USV) Wright (promoted) = 9,600
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 3rd Brigade
------ 4th Brigade (from the 8th Corps)

II - Middle Department : MG (USA) Sedgwick (promoted regular MG) = 28,800

- 5th Corps : MG (USV) Sykes (still in command, capable defender) = 14,400

--- 1st (consolidated) Division : MG (USV) Griffin (promoted) = 7,200
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 3rd Brigade

--- 2nd (consolidated) Division : MG (USV) Getty (promoted) = 7,200
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 3rd Brigade

- Army of West Virginia : MG (USV) Sigel (trusty commander, bad tactician) = 14,400

--- Pennsylvania Reserves : MG (USV) Seymour (promoted, returning from Dept. of Florida) = 7,200
------ 3rd (new) Brigade (from the Kanawha Division)

--- Kanawha Division : MG (USV) Crook (promoted) = 7,200
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 3rd Brigade

III - Army of the James : MG (USA) McClellan = 62,400

- 9th Corps : MG (USV) Burnside = 31,200

--- 1st Division : MG (USV) Crittenden = 7,200
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 3rd Brigade (from Department of the South)

--- 2nd Division : MG (USV) Parke = 7,200
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade

--- 3rd Division : MG (USV) W. F. Smith = 7,200
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade

--- Colored Division : MG (USV) Weitzel = 9,600
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 4th Brigade (from Department of the South)

- 18th Corps : MG (USV) Gillmore = 31,200

--- 1st Division : MG (USV) Terry (promoted) = 7,200
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade

--- 2nd Division : MG (USV) Foster (returning to division command, capable officer) = 7,200
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade

--- 3rd Division : MG (USV) Hartsuff = 7,200
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade

--- Colored Division : MG (USV) Hincks (promoted) = 9,600
------ 1st Brigade
------ 2nd Brigade
------ 4th Brigade (from Department of the South)

IV - Department of Washington (22nd Corps) : MG (USV) Wallace
Perhaps more than 10,000 troops available.

TOTAL ARMY OF THE POTOMAC, ARMY OF THE JAMES, MIDDLE DEPARTMENT = 175,200

I realize that this number of troops is very high but it was an average estimate. Maybe the size of a standard brigade could be reduced to 1,800 or less (x 0.75).

promoted regular MG
How many regular MGs do you have? You can't just promote an arbitrary number of them, their number is limited by law.

ED: I'd also attach the siege artillery specifically to the Army of the James. In 1862 it was under Hunt, and it looks like he was available; he was a good arty officer, and a properly kitted out siege train with lots of heavy Parrotts and gunners to man them will amplify the threat of the Army of the James.

Last edited:
How many regular MGs do you have? You can't just promote an arbitrary number of them, their number is limited by law.

I wasn't aware about this. I actually promoted, as new regular MGs : Meade, Sedgwick and Hancock, for their experience / time in service and for showing skills at Gettysburg (Meade and Hancock) and Bristoe / Mine Run Campaigns (Sedgwick).

Since McClellan still in the Army, there is one more regular MG in this OOB. I assume Lincoln could demote Frémont from his regular MG rank (or make him resign).

Otherwise, if this number is too high, let's say that Sedgwick is subordinate to Sigel (switch their commands in Middle Department) and that Hancock isn't promoted (I agree this is too soon considering his short experience as corps commander, but Grant had his favorites and promoted quite rapidly Sheridan, putting him at the head of the Army of the Shenandoah only five months later, after Little Phil only commanded the Cavalry Corps and not as efficiently as he was intended for (his agressiveness assured him this promotion in command and finally in rank). If Meade cannot be promoted as a regular MG, then nothing changes, because Burnside will stay with McClellan, and so no more seniority problems will occur :

We now have Meade who still a volunteer MG in charge of four corps :
- 1st Corps, commanded by Hancock, three divisions
- 2nd Corps, commanded by Warren, three divisions
- 3rd Corps, commanded by Ord (one of Grant's favorites), two consolidated divisions
- 6th Corps, commanded by Sheridan (one of Grant's favorites), two consolidated divisions

The Cavalry Corps could be placed under Pleasonton hands, for a moment, before an able subordinate with enough seniority makes his way to an higher command (perhaps Wilson, Kautz or Custer, I'm not a specialist of the cavalry personnel).

For the protection of the Shenandoah Valley (Middle Department) :
- Sigel is in full command (or can be spared with a portion of the Army of West Virginia for "garrison" duty in Winchester)
- Sedgwick is either the full commander of the remaining force or the commander of the 5th Corps only (which means that Sykes is relegated to division command, in place of Getty).

For the advance towards Richmond by the Peninsula, McClellan is in charge of two big corps forming the Army of the James :
- 9th Corps, commanded by Burnside, three divisions and one extra colored division
- 18th Corps, commanded by Gillmore, three divisions and one extra colored division

The 10th Corps still, in name, part of the Department of the South but many of its brigade are sent north to provide a threatening power to McClellan, who will face Beauregard at Bermuda Hundred with an advantage of more than 2 : 1.

Interesting. Sheridan at the head of a infantry Corps? Yeah I see that. Was there a more aggressive commander in the war?

Since McClellan still in the Army, there is one more regular MG in this OOB. I assume Lincoln could demote Frémont from his regular MG rank (or make him resign).
Neither is actually legal, as far as I understand it. The ways to leave a regular rank are:

Death
Promotion to a higher regular rank
Voluntary resignation (which legally can't be compelled except via the means below)
Formal discharge through courts-martial, basically you find someone guilty of something awful (usually disobeying orders) and strip them of their rank.

This is because a regular army rank slot is "permanent" and the man in question is actually filling a permanent slot. Slots in the volunteer army aren't, and so can be created pretty much at will; a man in the regular army who's promoted general in the volunteer army still has a slot, but it's whatever he ranks as in the regular army.

Now you've faced some of the fun of seniority juggling, you know what fun it was in the 1860s!

Neither is actually legal, as far as I understand it. The ways to leave a regular rank are:

Death
Promotion to a higher regular rank
Voluntary resignation (which legally can't be compelled except via the means below)
Formal discharge through courts-martial, basically you find someone guilty of something awful (usually disobeying orders) and strip them of their rank.

This is because a regular army rank slot is "permanent" and the man in question is actually filling a permanent slot. Slots in the volunteer army aren't, and so can be created pretty much at will; a man in the regular army who's promoted general in the volunteer army still has a slot, but it's whatever he ranks as in the regular army.

Now you've faced some of the fun of seniority juggling, you know what fun it was in the 1860s!
Didn't Fremont resign?

ED: I'd also attach the siege artillery specifically to the Army of the James. In 1862 it was under Hunt, and it looks like he was available; he was a good arty officer, and a properly kitted out siege train with lots of heavy Parrotts and gunners to man them will amplify the threat of the Army of the James.
Was brevet or volunteers restricted as well?

Back