Buffalo Bill's Wild West poster

We have just visited the Buffalo Bill's grave today and there is a small museum with all kinds of posters. Plus I discovered that his Wild West show was even in my hometown Hannover, Germany for 14 days in July 1890!!
Here are some photos I took there
Please excuse the quality, the museum was dimly lit.
@lelliott19 you asked to be tagged:

Buffalo Bill Cody's grave:
View attachment 195578

And here comes some artwork:
View attachment 195579

View attachment 195580
View attachment 195581
View attachment 195582

@John Winn, I hope you'll like these, too..

I do ! They're not as 1960s but I love that style of graphic art. Glad you're out and about and the jet lag hasn't killed you off.

Sitting-Bull_Buffalo-Bill1-E.jpg

one member of his traveling troupe for a time was Sitting Bull.

Absolutely! And the Indians held him.in high esteem because through his shows he brought their culture to a wide audience and helped create understanding.
Here is Sitting Bull:
_20180708_210440.JPG

And here is a compilation of Willam Cody paintings:

_20180708_210514.JPG

Outstanding, Mike. Sierra Hotel. I would love to have seen the real Wild West show.
Thanks. I understand you if you are not talking about an actual hotel! (If you are meaning an actual hotel you need to explain.)

I have about three dozen posters and program covers of Buffalo Bill I digitally restored.

If would have been cool to see his Wild West Show! It must have been an awful lot of work setting up and breaking down camp. Just the arena and grandstands cover 14 acres at this venue.
lf-1.jpeg

Heritage Auctions

Thanks. I understand you if you are not talking about an actual hotel! (If you are meaning an actual hotel you need to explain.)

I have about three dozen posters and program covers of Buffalo Bill I digitally restored.

If would have been cool to see his Wild West Show! It must have been an awful lot of work setting up and breaking down camp. Just the arena and grandstands cover 14 acres at this venue.
View attachment 195698
Heritage Auctions
You understand me - not a real hotel. :D

Aw, too bad I did not photograph that one!! I only remember Alexej, the future tsar of Russia, but there were six or eight more on that poster I mentioned above...

Interestingly, the Indians called William Cody "Pahaska", meaning "Long Hair". As with Custer ("Yellow Hair") they must have been fascinated by long hair on a white male.

Last edited:
I had my first Bison burger at the Irma Hotel, (named for Bill's daughter) in Cody Wyoming, and it was excellent. Kind of hard to find buffalo meat here in Florida.

View attachment 40802
  • Title: Buffalo Bill's Wild West, Col. W.F. Cody / Alick P.F. Ritchie.
  • Creator(s): Ritchie, Alick P. F., 1868-1938, artist
  • Date Created/Published: London : Weiners, Ltd., [1890]
  • Medium: 1 print (poster) : color ; 82.6 x 56.8 cm. (sheet)
  • Summary: Head-and-shoulders portrait of Buffalo Bill, composed of guns, rope, heads of buffalo and horse, snowshoes, etc.
  • Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-13486
William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody (February 26, 1846 – January 10, 1917) was an American soldier, bison hunter and showman... Cody wanted to enlist as a soldier in the Union Army during the American Civil War, but was refused because of his young age. He began working with a United States freight caravan that delivered supplies to Fort Laramie in present-day Wyoming. In 1863 at age 17, he enlisted as ateamster with the rank of Private in Company H, 7th Kansas Cavalry and served until discharged in 1865.
Really interesting, and I’d think unusual for the time period.

Back