Real or Faux? Buckles or plates any info much appreciated

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Vic504

Cadet
Welcome from Maryland! Unfortunately I am in agreement with @ucvrelics, for a few reasons:

1. The star buckle should be stamped brass, but appears to be cast, beyond that it is doubtful such a dainty plate would have lasted until Gettysburg. Plates such as this are found in early war sites, due to their fragile nature.

2. NY buckle, @ucvrelics has a good point about the bench marks, but due to the private purchase of officer's buckles, they came from many sources and not all have the stamped or cut bench marks. Because #1 is most likely fake it taints the others unless we can get provenance and who these were purchased from. The buckle strongly appears to be a Gary Williams product, with exception of the bend of the hook.

3. CSA piece, the sloppiness of the casting is a little too much even for a CSA piece and the hooks look too good, but would need to see measurements and provenance.

Where did you pick these up and approximately what did you pay for them will give us a very good idea, were these all in the same collection? I remember in my early days of collecting I was told by a respected member of the collecting/dealer community, "when in doubt about a buckle, don't pay more than a happy meal"
Here is some more photos

Package4

1st Lieutenant
I purchased these from someone that got them from a deceased relative collection. I took the NY buckle yo a local civil war museum today they said it was authentic and most likely a officer. The CSA buckle they couldn't determine but said it's a sand cast and explains why it looks sloppy. The man that could authentic it wasnt in today that's more familiar with them. The Mississippi I didnt bring them I'm also assuming it's a fake as well this is what I could think was a match. I paid $200 a piece In Hope's one would be real lol

View attachment 325257
You, have the best chance of the NY being authenticated, though the back looks way too sloppy to be a private purchase officer’s buckle. These were generally well grinded, filed and polished, though there is evidence of a sloppy back unearthed at a battlefield site. The hook is bent in the proper configuration and most repops do not go into this detail. I’ll continue to look for a reproduction in that config.

Last edited:

Vic504

Cadet
You, have the best chance of the NY being authenticated, though the back looks way to sloppy to be a private purchase officer’s buckle. These were generally well grinded, filed and polished, though there is evidence of a sloppy back unearthed at a battlefield site. The hook is bent in the proper configuration and most repops do not go into this detail. I’ll continue to look for a reproduction in that config.
Thanls for all the help!!

Bell-Two

Cadet
Wow very cool find I wish I had civil war sites around new orleans to dig!!
I have friend that lives in Louisiana and he finds a lot of CW relics! Other than Morgan Raid not much in the way of action happened here. My finds are mostly from sites that CW vets lived.

General Butler

Private
As an interesting sidebar...the typed description seems to show that it came from S.Hadden. Stan Hadden, the late Stan Hadden had a civil war shop in Bolivar WVA right above Harpers Ferry called Red Bull. Stan and his wife Ruth were wonderful people and Stan become fairly well known as a "primitive" painter of scenes in and around Harpers. Stan was also a leader in the GrayBeards campaign to get the Korean War Memorial built on the Mall. I was able to pull some good stuff out of Stan over the years and was sad when they moved South to be with their grand kids and then passed away shortly after. His son was an Officer having served with distinction and i believe he was on leave in Mississippi when he was killed by a drunk driver...Stan never got over it. Stans paintings almost always had a little dog named Buzz in it next to a woman in a yellow dress...he would never tell what the symbolism was. RIP Stan

Package4

1st Lieutenant
As an interesting sidebar...the typed description seems to show that it came from S.Hadden. Stan Hadden, the late Stan Hadden had a civil war shop in Bolivar WVA right above Harpers Ferry called Red Bull. Stan and his wife Ruth were wonderful people and Stan become fairly well known as a "primitive" painter of scenes in and around Harpers. Stan was also a leader in the GrayBeards campaign to get the Korean War Memorial built on the Mall. I was able to pull some good stuff out of Stan over the years and was sad when they moved South to be with their grand kids and then passed away shortly after. His son was an Officer having served with distinction and i believe he was on leave in Mississippi when he was killed by a drunk driver...Stan never got over it. Stans paintings almost always had a little dog named Buzz in it next to a woman in a yellow dress...he would never tell what the symbolism was. RIP Stan
Unfortunately, Stan, as honest as they come, was routinely fooled by older reenactor used items. I remember him asking me to take a look at a very nice haversack, complete with rice bag. Alas it was a very well made repro that he picked up at an estate sale, the give a way was the X sewing of the strap to the body. He always had great dug items and was great to sit and talk about them. A consummate gentleman.