Brother vs Brother.... anyone else..?

I know I've run into several close kin on opposite sides of the war in my family tree but one that sticks out is my 3rd great grandmother Mary polly Sparks of yancey county Nc 4 of her brothers served 3 of them Sam ,William and Charles served in the confederate army 2 in the 29th company I william and charles with William being killed in Murfreesboro and another Sam in the 58th Nc company B who as a good ole rebel re enlisted later on with a horse in the 5th Nc Cavalry Csa but little brother James Marvin Sparks cast his lot with the 13th Tn cavalry union I don't know if they ever faced each other in a battle but I wouldn't doubt it

I know I've run into several close kin on opposite sides of the war in my family tree but one that sticks out is my 3rd great grandmother Mary polly Sparks of yancey county Nc 4 of her brothers served 3 of them Sam ,William and Charles served in the confederate army 2 in the 29th company I william and charles with William being killed in Murfreesboro and another Sam in the 58th Nc company B who as a good ole rebel re enlisted later on with a horse in the 5th Nc Cavalry Csa but little brother James Marvin Sparks cast his lot with the 13th Tn cavalry union I don't know if they ever faced each other in a battle but I wouldn't doubt it
My Yancey Co relatives were in the 29th and the 58th!

Here's a post war pic of the, "Grandpa crossing the river on his horse, coming home from the war", & his family.

enhance.jpg

It's the only picture I have that he is in. Wish I had a picture of him in his uniform, & his horse. That would be awesome.
His name was Newton Jasper Hines. Everyone refers to him as Jasper. His mother was Jane Todd, a distant cousin to Mary Todd (yes, that one).

On his lap is, my GG Grandfather Oliver. My grandmother loved this man, & spoke very highly of he & his wife.

Jasper's pictured wife is, Elizabeth O'Bannon (My GGG Grandmother). Her great Uncle was Presley N. O'Bannon. Any Marine Corp vets will know this name. Yes, THAT Presley O'Bannon.

I have traced Elizabeth's ancestry all the way back to Leap Castle.
LeapCastle1_0.jpg

http://leapcastle.net/?page_id=29

Wish I had a picture of Jasper's brother who fought with Price. I don't. I've looked everywhere, & so far have come up short. The closest I've gotten, is a picture of his son, who he named after the war, Stonewall Jackson Hines.

My ancestor Martin R. Throne of the Second NC Infantry had a couple of cousins who fought with Indiana regiments during the Civil War after their family had moved there in the 1830s. David Thorne served with the 90th Indiana Infantry until he was badly injured in a railroad accident during the war. Another cousin who shared the same first name with my ancestor, Martin V. B. Thorne fought in the 56th Indiana Infantry. Ironically, both Martin Thornes died of disease contracted during the war. My ancestor left behind several orphaned daughters because his wife had died during childbirth in 1860.

Back