Broken Saber! Rider and Horse not injured

Gettmore

Sergeant Major
Broken Saber 1.jpg
Broken Saber 2.jpg

Something like this is the end of a sword. This looks like the tang broke, which is not good. The temper was probably not right on this sword, likely at the point where the tang meets the blade.

Having handled both original and repro swords now so that I am familiar with correct blade weight, balance, stiffness ect I can say really nice Civil War reproduction swords are hard to fin.

Looks like the blade few off into the wild blue yonder while guard dropped to earth and left the owner holding the leather grip.

That's a $30 sword if I ever seen one. A $30 dollar sword I have did the same thing as I took it from the scabbard. It was easy to reassemble, its a wall hanger not a weapon I've learned.

Never reenacted, but I've observed there are significant variations regarding how much "enthusiasm" is permitted in these battles.

I'm just curious, what are the typical safety rules for aiming muskets in someone else's general direction or swinging sabers around?

I consider the horses to be the most dangerous ingredient to introduce into the mix since they literally have minds of their own.

Never reenacted, but I've observed there are significant variations regarding how much "enthusiasm" is permitted in these battles.

I'm just curious, what are the typical safety rules for aiming muskets in someone else's general direction or swinging sabers around?

I consider the horses to be the most dangerous ingredient to introduce into the mix since they literally have minds of their own.
Sorry for the late response, busy day at work. Generally you always elevate your muskets especially at close range, most events don't let us fire within 50 feet of eachother. Any kind of saber or hand to hand is strictly choreographed and practiced and yes the horses can get dangerous and require much training. When I get to my computer I'll sent a link to safety rules from a typical event.

Here is a link to the reenactor guidelines, including safety, for our upcoming event at Olustee which is pretty typical for most events http://battleofolustee.org/forms_docs/2020_guide_for_reenactors.pdf

Back