Broken ramrod removal

Capt7thWvCoA

Private
Hello everyone, I was wondering how do I remove a broken ramrod end from a musket? Awhile back I got a repro 62 Richmond and part of the ramrod ( more specifically the end used to ram the ball home ) is broken off in the musket barrel. I have tried a bullet worm and it didn't work . It pulls out pieces of cloth that I guess is what caused got to get stuck and break. Any help would be great.

That gives me pause; Are you sure there's not a load of powder and a ball under all that as well?

Well, since you've 'fessed up; I'm sure it's a "learning moment"

As to the task at hand. Could you remove the nipple, and try a blast of compressed air? If it is tightly wedged, it may do nothing though.

This is when you wish you had one of those cheap borescope cameras to look and see how it's oriented inside.

Is it possible to take off the barrel and remove the breechblock and push it out that way?

Removing the breech plug is a job for a black powder gunsmith. Unless you know qhat thou art doing you really goober up your barrel. Yes the compressed air can work but you needone those gadgets that uses a C02 air/pellet gun cartridge. And military muskets/rifles need an adapter for the musket cap nipple. Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio used to have these "muzzle unloaders". Also check with Track of the Wolf and S&S Firearms. I'm pretty sure they have these. My advice would be to get a 1 piece repro rod or use a brass take down rod for cleaning. Yes I know this upsets the "AUTHENTICITY POLICE" but you can always use the brass rod after hours. And don't be surprised if one of them asks to borrow it!

Well, since you've 'fessed up; I'm sure it's a "learning moment"

As to the task at hand. Could you remove the nipple, and try a blast of compressed air? If it is tightly wedged, it may do nothing though.

This is when you wish you had one of those cheap borescope cameras to look and see how it's oriented inside.

Is it possible to take off the barrel and remove the breechblock and push it out that way?
I have no clue. I've never removed the breech plug before, and I'm not sure how to.

Removing the breech plug is a job for a black powder gunsmith. Unless you know qhat thou art doing you really goober up your barrel. Yes the compressed air can work but you needone those gadgets that uses a C02 air/pellet gun cartridge. And military muskets/rifles need an adapter for the musket cap nipple. Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio used to have these "muzzle unloaders". Also check with Track of the Wolf and S&S Firearms. I'm pretty sure they have these. My advice would be to get a 1 piece repro rod or use a brass take down rod for cleaning. Yes I know this upsets the "AUTHENTICITY POLICE" but you can always use the brass rod after hours. And don't be surprised if one of them asks to borrow it!
I will for sure keep that in mind. If anything there is a welder who lives next to my parents who can fix it for me.

I think we've all learned the hard way ONCE not to do that, I was lucky I didn't break mine off. I see guys start to do it and tell them not to and they come to me a few minutes later with a stuck ramrod. Don't try an remove the breech plug! Take it to a gunsmith is the safest thing to do. I've heard of compressed air and also heard of guys putting a couple grains of powder in the vent and shooting it out but I wouldn't advise doing that. I'd get professional help at this point.

It may be advisable to dismount the barrel and ship it to a professional such as Lodgewood. They can also either replace or permanently repair the broken ramrod.

you can buy a one piece ramrod or have a welder turn yours into on. But that is best finished with a lathe to clean it up.

Good advice, Peter. This is exactly what I do.

Peter Stones is right on the money, you need a gunsmith to remove the breech block. ATTEMPTING TO BLOW IT OUT WITH COMPRESSED AIR IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! There is a real chance that the nozzle will pop back into your face. I had to pay for two workman’s comp claims for exactly that. In both cases they “didn’t want to waste time taking the think apart.”

FWIW The gunsmith will use a wrench to unscrew the plug. He may need to pour some penetrating oil down bore to soak He'll plug the nipple and allow everything to "cook" for a bit THis will lube the plug threads for easier removal. Sometimes heat needs to be applied to the breech of the barrel to expand the metal slightly away from the breech plug and when it cools he can unscrew it. DGW has a breech plug wrench that fits every thing from muskets on down. But as others had said take/send the barrel to a QUALIFIED gunsmith. Don't try shooting the rod piece out. It becomes a bore obstruction and you risk damage to the barrel and to yourself Text me if you need more advice 409 939 9817

I guess that I logged out without pushing the reply button....again. I said something about trying a few differant grease zirks in the nipple threads. When you find one that fits give a grease gun several pumps to push the obstacle out of the barrel. Messy but it works sometimes. Plus you get a lube job in the bore.

I had a bore brush break off inside of my Enfield barrel last year. I took it to the Whitacre Machine Shop in Winchester, Va and he got it out for twenty bucks. So if you're in Virginia, I recommend taking it to him.

Back