Brittle Brown Sugar Cookies

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This is an old-fashioned cookie with a butterscotch flavor. Another recipe to try for your family.

1/2 lb. butter
2 cups granulated sugar
6 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
juice 1/2 lemon
1 cup ground pecans

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, blend and beat until light. Add flour sifted with baking powder, soda dissolved in water, and all other ingredients. Set on ice 2 hours before rolling thin and cutting into shapes. Bake in a hot oven (400 degrees). Dough cab be rolled into 2 loaves, wrapped in wax paper or foil, and kept on ice for days without spoiling; and cookies can be sliced very thin and baked when needed.

From" Out of Kentucky Kitchens" by Marion Flexner.

Time to make these delicious cookies. Does anyone have a sugar cookie recipe from 1800s?. I will try to research.
Wow! This one looks like a keeper!

Here is a sugar cookie recipe from a cookbook published in 1914
THINGS MOTHER USED TO MAKE (some a hundred years old) By LYDIA MARIA GURNEY

=Sugar Cookies=
1 Cupful of Sugar
1/2 Cupful of Butter
2 Tablespoonfuls of Milk
1 Egg
2 Teaspoonfuls of Cream of Tartar
1 Teaspoonful of Soda
1 Teaspoonful of Lemon Extract
Flour enough to roll
Beat the butter, sugar and egg together, add the milk, stir the cream of tartar and soda into the flour dry. Stir all together and roll.

This is an old-fashioned cookie with a butterscotch flavor. Another recipe to try for your family.

1/2 lb. butter
2 cups granulated sugar
6 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
juice 1/2 lemon
1 cup ground pecans

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, blend and beat until light. Add flour sifted with baking powder, soda dissolved in water, and all other ingredients. Set on ice 2 hours before rolling thin and cutting into shapes. Bake in a hot oven (400 degrees). Dough cab be rolled into 2 loaves, wrapped in wax paper or foil, and kept on ice for days without spoiling; and cookies can be sliced very thin and baked when needed.

From" Out of Kentucky Kitchens" by Marion Flexner.
Oh these look delicious!

My grandmother, up in Lehighton, Pa, used to make a cookie called apees cookies, from an old colonial Pennsylvania Dutch recipe, this was in the early 1950’s. She was Pennsylvania Dutch, her maiden name was Olewine. But she, as I remember, sprinkled sugar on top. She surely made some good varieties of pies, cakes and cookies on her kitchen coal stove.

Have found several old recipes. This sugar cookie recipe is from "The Summit County Beacon", Akron, Ohio 1859.

"Four eggs; one and a half cups of sugar; nearly one teacup full of butter; a little soda, salt and nutmeg." No how to bake instructions included. I am sure they thought all who read at that time would know.

Have found several old recipes. This sugar cookie recipe is from "The Summit County Beacon", Akron, Ohio 1859.

"Four eggs; one and a half cups of sugar; nearly one teacup full of butter; a little soda, salt and nutmeg." No how to bake instructions included. I am sure they thought all who read at that time would know.
Sounds like the recipes we inherited from my husband’s Italian grandmother. She just wrote out the ingredients and seemed to assume everyone would know what to do with them 🤔

Back