British Cavalry Saber's Use in Civil War, the Pattern, 1796

Let me address the last, first. The sword I mentioned is not being listed as having been a trooper or officer of the 7th. Rather, the sword is being attributed to an indian. http://www.ebay.com/itm/262466000615?
Thanks for your response and the clarification.
I've seen documentation that some warriors retreaved/carried/ swords from earlier battles. Offhand I don't recall anything about any carried by the Indians at LBH. But, then, there's still a lot to learn about LBH.
At any rate, I'll pass on bidding....
As to studio photos, I have outlined my own thoughts on the matter and I have a hunch. if polled, the majority of researchers will agree with me. All photos bear scrutiny. Especially so in the case of archaic (sic) bare swords without scabbards, sword belts, etc. As to other weapons, some may well be questionable. I have no journals, nor inventories of the photographers but props have always and continue to be part and parcel of professional photographers.
I can only restate my opinion.
All ACW studio pictures are subject to serious scrutiny. A bare sword held for a photo op hardly confirmation of ownership.
Cheers
GC
Love the skepticism, which I believe is a healthy trait. These subjects certainly look like they are holding props.

T

Thanks for that bit of information. I am more versed in firearms than edged weapons and only have twelve in my collection. All are originals and I would say seven are relatively sharpened, five are not. One is, I swear, sharp enough to shave with. One is so dull butter would be safe around it. I had never thought to look at an edge to see if the patina of the edge matched that of the rest of the blade. Good tip. Thanks.
Patina on old edges will also sometimes be darker than the blade itself, as the old polish of the blade was *literally* ground away to make the edge. If the edge is cared for as well as the rest of the sabre then they'll both be roughly equivalent in brightness.[/QUOTE]

Back