Brigadier General Eugene A. Carr (USA)

ColorizedPast

Corporal
Brigadier General Eugene Asa Carr (USA)

Eugene Asa Carr was born in Hamburg, New York on 20 March 1830. He graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1850, 19th in a class of 44 cadets. He was appointed brevet second lieutenant in the Regiment of Mounted Riflemen, and served in the Indian Wars until 1861. By 1861, he was a captain in the 1st U.S. Cavalry and commanded Fort Washita in the Indian Territory.

During the Civil War, Carr's first taste of combat was at the Battle of Wilson's Creek on 10 August 1861 commanding Company I, 1st U.S. Cavalry in Colonel Franz Sigel's Second Brigade under Nathaniel Lyon. He was appointed colonel of the 3rd Illinois Cavalry six days later and received a brevet promotion to lieutenant colonel in the regular army.

At the Battle of Pea Ridge in Arkansas, 7 March 1862, Carr led the 4th Division of the Army of the Southwest in the fighting around Elkhorn Tavern. He was wounded in the neck, army, and ankle and was later awarded a Medal of Honor for his actions. On 30 April 1862, President Abraham Lincoln appointed Carr brigadier general of volunteers. Carr briefly commanded the Army of the Southwest from 7 October to 12 November 1863. He commanded the 2nd Division of the Army of Southeast Missouri until he and his division were transferred to the Army of the Tennessee as the 14th Division in the XIII Corps.

During the Vicksburg Campaign, Carr led the attack on Confederate forces at the Battle of Port Gibson. He fought at Champion's Hill and Vicksburg. After the fall of Vicksburg, he was transferred back to Arkansas commanding a division in the Army of Arkansas. Eventually, he commanded the Cavalry Division in the VII Corps during Frederick Steele's Camden Expedition. He commanded the District of Little Rock in 1864. He finally commanded the 3rd Division of the XVI Corps during the campaign against Mobile, Alabama, fighting in the Battle of Fort Blakely. He received a brevet major general of volunteers rank and a brevet to major general in the regular army.

Following the war, Carr conducted successful operations on the frontier against the Indians, winning a significant battle at Summit Springs. In 1879, he was promoted to colonel of the 6th Cavalry and brigadier general in 1892. Carr died in Washington, D.C. on 2 December 1910.

161104 Eugene A Carr.jpg
161104 Eugene A Carr Comparison.jpg

Last edited:
This gentlemen is in both of my books due to his leadership over 106th Illinois Inf. and 126th Illinois Inf.

Thanks

I read a ton of Civil War books, but a lot of these guys I'd never really come across. It is really fun doing these colorings, because then I read about these "other" generals and what they did, sometimes in major campaigns we always talk about and in more obscure battles that we've maybe heard of in passing. The batch I've done the past week have all been officers who served in some capacity at the Battle of Wilson's Creek, mostly as majors, captains, lieutenants in the regular army before receiving volunteer commissions as brigadiers or major generals.

My Carr side had been her in American for a long time by the time the Civil War stated (over 225 years).

I read a ton of Civil War books, but a lot of these guys I'd never really come across. It is really fun doing these colorings, because then I read about these "other" generals and what they did, sometimes in major campaigns we always talk about and in more obscure battles that we've maybe heard of in passing. The batch I've done the past week have all been officers who served in some capacity at the Battle of Wilson's Creek, mostly as majors, captains, lieutenants in the regular army before receiving volunteer commissions as brigadiers or major generals.

Carr really "saved the day" at Pea Ridge for the Union by fighting Price's Missouri State Guard to a standstill on the first day. Van Dorn and Price had about half the Confederate army against Carr whose lone division was only a quarter of Curtis' outnumbered force. http://civilwartalk.com/threads/return-to-pea-ridge.99660/

dsc02239-jpg.jpg

I think the gloves look neat. I'm not a ACW photograph expert, but is it common to see guys getting their picture taken with gloves like that? Riding gloves?

41NrtkU-DVL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Gen. Carr is prominent in this book, especially near the end when discussing Summit Springs. His leadership played a large role in reducing the Dog Soldiers raids on the western plains. But he also took some heat for not saving one of the 2 white women who were captives; Susanna Alderdice.

Back