Brigadier General Charles K. Graham (USV)
Charles Kinnaird Graham was born in New York City on 3 June 1824. He served as a midshipman in the Gulf of Mexico during the Mexican-American War. He studied engineering and was for several years constructing engineer of the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
At the outbreak of the American Civil War, Graham joined the Union Army as colonel of the 74th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment. He resigned on 10 April 1862 but was restored to the colonelcy during the Peninsula Campaign in May.
On 9 November, he was appointed brigadier general of volunteers. At the Battle of Chancellorsville, he commanded the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, III Corps, Army of the Potomac. When Amiel W. Whipple was mortally wounded, Graham assumed command of the 3rd Division, III Corps.
He returned to command of the 1st Brigade, 1st Division in June during the Gettysburg Campaign. During the Battle of Gettysburg, Graham's brigade defended the Union position along the Emmitsburg Road. He was wounded in the hip and shoulders on 2 July and taken prisoner by the Confederates. He was in a prison camp in Richmond until he was exchanged for James L. Kemper on 19 September 1863.
Graham was then assigned by Maj. Gen. Benjamin Butler to command of a gunboat flotilla, the "Naval Brigade," on the James River attached to the XVIII Corps, Army of the James from 28 April 1864 to 17 February 1865. He led the Naval Brigade during the First Battle of Fort Fisher. Upon returning to Virginia, Graham commanded the defenses of Bermuda Hundred until 19 March and then Norfolk, Virginia until July.
After the war, Graham returned to New York and resumed his civil engineering career. From 1878 to 1883, he was surveyor of the port of New York.
He died in Lakewood, New Jersey, on 15 April 1889.