Brigadier Gen. Charles F. Henningsen, CSA

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Born in England of Swedish parents, Henninger was a soldier of fortune who fought in a variety of different wars (in Spain, Russia, Hungary, Nicaragua, America) but always had the misfortune to fight for the losing side.

On 1 August 1861, he was named Colonel of the 59th Virginia. Served in North Carolina and Virginia (principally in command of the Artillery in Wise's Legion). Promoted Brigadier. Commanded defenses of Richmond. According to one source, he was "relieved of his command" in November 1862. He seems to have disappeared thereafter, though he lived in Washington postwar.

He wrote extensively of his earlier adventures, through Walker's Nicaragua filibuster, but never about the ACW.

Does anyone know specifically why this man was relieved? What was his record like?

Cheers.

jno

Last edited:
...Does anyone know specifically why this man was relieved? What was his record like?...

Am I late? :wink:

His regiment, the 59th Virginia, suffered dearly in early 62 and was broken up and reorganized as the 26th Battalion in April. The Richmond Daily Dispatch says he was in Richmond without any command a month later. The Staunton Spectator wrote, in December 1862, that he resigned in November 1862.

This here (pdf) says he was relieved of command when the unit was reorganized under the Conscript Act in November 1862, however the regiment had been broken up already!?

Lincoln's Hungarian Heroes - The Participation of Hungarians in the Civil War
says he resigned on November 5, but doesn´t say anything about reasons or his further role in the ACW.

Isn't that odd when you see something you posted, but of which you have no recollection? Sometimes I jump into answer something and find I already have, but do not even remember. :confused:

Am I late? :wink:

His regiment, the 59th Virginia, suffered dearly in early 62 and was broken up and reorganized as the 26th Battalion in April. The Richmond Daily Dispatch says he was in Richmond without any command a month later. The Staunton Spectator wrote, in December 1862, that he resigned in November 1862.

This here (pdf) says he was relieved of command when the unit was reorganized under the Conscript Act in November 1862, however the regiment had been broken up already!?

Lincoln's Hungarian Heroes - The Participation of Hungarians in the Civil War says he resigned on November 5, but doesn´t say anything about reasons or his further role in the ACW.

Born in England of Swedish parents, Henninger was a soldier of fortune who fought in a variety of different wars (in Spain, Russia, Hungary, Nicaragua, America) but always had the misfortune to fight for the losing side.

On 1 August 1861, he was named Colonel of the 59th Virginia. Served in North Carolina and Virginia (principally in command of the Artillery in Wise's Legion). Promoted Brigadier. Commanded defenses of Richmond. According to one source, he was "relieved of his command" in November 1862. He seems to have disappeared thereafter, though he lived in Washington postwar.

He wrote extensively of his earlier adventures, through Walker's Nicaragua filibuster, but never about the ACW.

Does anyone know specifically why this man was relieved? What was his record like?

Cheers.

jno
Actually, born in Brussels, to a Danish father and Irish Mother (landed gentry). Inspired by Lord Byron's service in Greece, he threw himself into any lost cause - the Carlist Wars in Spain, the Hungarian Uprising of 1848-49, Walker's Nicaragua Filibuster Campaign, and then the Southern Cause, though the later was likely due to marrying a rich Southern Widow from Georgia. After the loss of his regimental command, he and his wife lived in Richmond through the end of the war (she sponsored and operated the Georgia Military Hospital in Richmond). Neither he nor his wife were fond of Jefferson Davis. After the war, they relocated to Washington, DC, and he was rumored to be active in plots to liberate Cuba. Though I must surmise that his health might have been an underlying reason why he did not continue his military service - did he suffer from some tropical disease that he did not disclose? Of course, much of my sources came from accounts provided by his sister, who actually founded an order of nuns in South Africa.

Back