Brigade nicknames of the AotP

Virtually all of the New York regiments had nicknames or alternate names.

HEADQUARTERS
93rd New York: Morgan Rifles

FIRST CORPS
76th New York: Cortland Regiment, Cromwellian Regiment
84th New York: 14th Brooklyn, Brooklyn Chasseurs
95th New York: Warren Rifles, Third Regiment of the Eagle Brigade (the Eagle Brigade was never fully formed but its pieces were spread over several regiments)
147th New York: Oswego Regiment
94th New York: Bell Rifles, Sackett's Harbor Regiment
104th New York: Wadsworth Guards
83rd New York: 9th Militia
97th New York: Conkling Rifles
80th New York: 20th Militia, Ulster Guards

SECOND CORPS
61st New York: Clinton Guards, Astor Rifles
88th New York: Mrs. Meagher's Own
52nd New York: Sigel Rifles
57th New York: National Guard Rifles, United States Voltigeurs
66th New York: Governor's Guard, Old Sixth Militia (the regiment was organized after a consolidation of the Governor's Guard, Mechanic Rifles, and the Sixth Militia)
64th New York: 1st Cattaraugus Regiment
82nd New York: Second Militia
42nd New York: Tammany Regiment, Jackson Guards
59th New York: Union Guards
10th New York (battalion): National Guard Zouaves
108th New York: Rochester Regiment
39th New York: Garibaldi Guards (the companies nearly all had alternate designations such as the Polish Legion, Hungarian Legion, etc.)

THIRD CORPS
86th New York: Steuben Rangers
124th New York: Orange Blossoms, American Guard
40th New York: Mozart Regiment
73rd New York: 2nd Fire Zouaves
120th New York: Washington Guards

FIFTH CORPS
12th New York: The Dozen
44th New York: Ellsworth Avengers
140th New York: Rochester Race Horses
146th New York: Halleck Infantry, Garrard's Tigers

SIXTH CORPS
121st New York: Otsego and Herkimer Regiment
33rd New York: Ontario Regiment
43rd New York: Vinton Rifles
49th New York: 2nd Buffalo Regiment
65th New York: United States Chasseurs
67th New York: 1st Long Island Regiment, Brooklyn Phalanx
122nd New York: The Onondagas
62nd New York: Anderson's Zouaves

ELEVENTH CORPS
41st New York: DeKalb Regiment, 2nd Yager Regiment
54th New York: Hiram Barney Rifles, Schwarze Yaeger
68th New York: Cameron Rifles
136th New York: Ironclads
45th New York: Howe's Rifles, 5th German Rifles

TWELFTH CORPS
123rd New York: Washington County Regiment
145th New York: Stanton Legion
150th New York: Dutchess Legion
107th New York: Campbell Guards
60th New York: 1st St. Lawrence Regiment
78th New York: 78th Highlanders, Lochiel Cameron Highlanders
102nd New York: Van Buren Light Infantry
149th New York: 4th Onondaga Regiment

CAVALRY CORPS
8th New York: Rochester Regiment
6th New York: 2nd Ira Harris Guard
9th New York: Westfield Cavalry
2nd New York: Harris Light Cavalry
4th New York: 1st German Cavalry, Dickel's Mounted Rifles, Lincoln Greens
10th New York: Porter Guard
5th New York: 1st Ira Harris Cavalry

In addition, the 1st New York Light Artillery Regiment were also known as the Morgan Light Artillery.

Ryan

124th New York: Orange Blossoms, American Guard

This regiment doesn't get enough praise they held the line in Devils Den part of Wards Brigade I think took horrid casualties but inflected just as many , 20th Maine gets to much attention imho it was a team effort.

Good day,
does anyone know a source that has a list of nicknames from brigades that were part of the AotP?
I'm not searching for the often used commander nicknames but the nicknames that sticked like Excelsior Brigade, Iron Brigade, etc.

If you can find a 1 or 2 Volume set of PERSONNEL OF THE CIVIL WAR it has regiment number and most common nickname for hundreds if not thousands of units both north & south. This reference was originally printed in 1961 with subsequent printings in 1964 & 1968.

20191008_162601.jpg

20191008_162514.jpg

Well, well, well..............A Buffalo Bills Fan !!! I am a die hard Buffalo Bills fan. I have been pulling for them since 1969 !!! Looks as if we might have a descent year this year, but I think we are still a couple players away from thinking about the Super Bowl...........The Orioles, I can take or leave.............lol

Respectfully,
William
I too am a Bills fan. I saw them beat the Jets a few weeks ago.

They were the Second Brigade, Second Division, Second Corps and fought (it was more of a slaughter) in the West Woods with Sedgwick at Antietam.

Until after the Battle of Ball's Bluff, it was called the "California Brigade." At Antietam it was commanded by O. O. Howard, who took over as Division commander when Sedgwick was wounded.

Please correct me if I am wrong. The regiments in the Philadelphia Brigade were the “California Regiments” right? That Edward Baker raised?

I have a few questions concerning that.

Were the men from California (although many would originally be from other states) and did Pennsylvania later adopt them?

Or were they California in name only?

What is the story behind the Philadelphia Brigade?

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik

The Philadelphia Brigade was originally known as the California Brigade, the story has something to do with the original call for volunteers from each state- I believe California either couldn't meet it's called for number or (more likely but not certain) wanted to make sure to have representation with the main Eastern army and so since Pennsylvania had more than enough regiments to meet it's called for allotment (also the reasoning behind the Pennsylvania Reserves Division- those regiments were originally held in "reserve" from the main army due to having so many Pennsylvania regiments) Edward Baker had them organized and initially entered into Union service as California regiments. Upon re-enlistment they "reverted" back to being Pennsylvania regiments. They were California in name only- Baker himself wasn't even Californian in anyway I don't believe, he was a Congressman from Oregon if I'm not mistaken.

The Philadelphia Brigade was originally known as the California Brigade, the story has something to do with the original call for volunteers from each state- I believe California either couldn't meet it's called for number or (more likely but not certain) wanted to make sure to have representation with the main Eastern army and so since Pennsylvania had more than enough regiments to meet it's called for allotment (also the reasoning behind the Pennsylvania Reserves Division- those regiments were originally held in "reserve" from the main army due to having so many Pennsylvania regiments) Edward Baker had them organized and initially entered into Union service as California regiments. Upon re-enlistment they "reverted" back to being Pennsylvania regiments. They were California in name only- Baker himself wasn't even Californian in anyway I don't believe, he was a Congressman from Oregon if I'm not mistaken.
That is what I pretty much gathered off the internet. Of course those are not always reliable sources. Thank you.

Please correct me if I am wrong. The regiments in the Philadelphia Brigade were the “California Regiments” right? That Edward Baker raised?

I have a few questions concerning that.

Were the men from California (although many would originally be from other states) and did Pennsylvania later adopt them?

Or were they California in name only?

What is the story behind the Philadelphia Brigade?

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik
They were composed of men some who had lived in California at one time or another. It was a push to get More California troops raised. But the Regiments were raised in Pennsylvania which caused issues with taking away men from Pennsylvania's available. After Baker died the California brigade died with him and they were redesignated as Pennsylvania units.

There was another Iron Brigade unit made up of regiments from New York, most of whom were 2-year regiments and were mustered out in May-June 1863.

Ryan

Both Iron Brigades were originally organized as part of the same division of the 1st Corps- the New York brigade had the name originally due to a reputation for hard marching and drilling during a period of the war when the 1st Corps didn't do much but march and drill, at the time the western unit most know as the Iron Brigade was known as the Black Hat Brigade due to their preference of headgear. When the New york brigade mustered out the 1st was re-organized and the western outfit famously became the 1st Brigade of the 1st Division of the Army of the Potomac.

A few that I know that I don't see having been mentioned are the two New Jersey brigades- the First New Jersey Brigade originally served at Bull Run as Theodore Runyan's reserve division before being organized originally as part of Franklin's 1st Corps Division and then transferred into the 6th Corps when that division was used to form it. It was originally commanded by Phil Kearny and is sometimes referred to as Kearny's Jersey Brigade. The 2nd Jersey Brigade was part of the 2nd Division of the 3rd Corps and was also known as Hooker's Old Guard.

Stannard's Paper Collar Brigade was mentioned earlier, I want to add that it was also known as the 2nd Vermont Brigade. It was formed from 9-month units and didn't have nearly the combat record of the 1st Vermont Brigade but played a crucial role at Gettysburg.

Also mentioned earlier, the Regulars and the Pennsylvania Reserves deserve a bit of clarification as they were more known as full divisions than individual brigades.

Originally the Army's infantry reserve, Sykes' Regulars consisted of all the regular army troops serving with the Army of the Potomac organized into two brigades with a brigade of New York Zouves originally commanded by Gouverneur Warren attached to complete the divisional organization when formed to help create the 5th Corps. I guess one could refer to them as the 1st and 2nd Regular brigades but they are typically just referred to together as a whole division as Sykes' Regulars.

Similarly, the Pennsylvania Reserves are known more as a whole division though they did have semi-official 1st Penn Reserve/2nd Penn Reserve/3rd Penn Reserve designations. Originally organized under George McCall's command, the original brigade commanders were future luminaries John Reynolds, George Meade and Edward Ord

There is the Maryland Brigade composed of 1st, 4th, 6th,
7th and 8th Maryland Volunteer Infantry Regiments.

It primarily served in 2d Div, V Corps after the reorganization of the Army of the Potomac. Before that it was in 3d Div, I Corps.

It saw heavy combat at the Wilderness and Spotsylvania.

Another brigade sometimes called "Iron Brigade" was Col. William T. Shaw's Second Brigade of the Third Division of the Sixteenth Army Corps in 1864. It contained the Fourteenth, Twenty-Seventh, and Thirty-Second Iowa and the Twenty-Fourth Missouri infantries. It played an important part in the Banks's Red River Expedition.

Back