Brigade nicknames of the AotP

Nicknames weren't common at Brigade level and normally it was straightforward this is because Brigade commanders and regiments were forever getting swapped about normally it would be the commanders name in rare circumstances if the commander left or was killed they might retain his name as a point of honour.

Regiment and company nicknames were far more common and their is an abundance of them.

The only other two I can think of in AoP not mentioned are the Bucktails (Stone) and the Paper Collar Brigade (Stannard) Im sure their might be a few more people can chip in with.

Nicknames weren't common at Brigade level and normally it was straightforward this is because Brigade commanders and regiments were forever getting swapped about normally it would be the commanders name in rare circumstances if the commander left or was killed they might retain his name as a point of honour.

Regiment and company nicknames were far more common and their is an abundance of them.

The only other two I can think of in AoP not mentioned are the Bucktails (Stone) and the Paper Collar Brigade (Stannard) Im sure their might be a few more people can chip in with.
I have a soft spot for the Bucktail Brigade. It was comprised of the 143rd, 149th, and 150th PA Volunteer Infantry Regiments.

The 149th is a bit of a “home town team”. Company K was from Potter County, and Company G was partially recruited in Potter while some other companies were from nearby counties.

The 143rd and 150th also had some some companies recruited in neighboring counties. So there is some attachment to them as well.

The brigade is probably most famous for their service with the I Corps on the first day of Gettysburg.

After the reorganization of the Army of the Potamac in late 1863 and early 1864 they were transferred to the V Corps and the Bucktail Brigade was commanded by then Col Joshua L. Chamberlain when he was severely wounded at the Second Battle of Petersburg.

I know I’m biased, but I think it is very interesting brigade to read about and study.

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik

Everyone is familiar with the "Iron Brigade" in the First Corps, and the "Irish Brigade" in the Second Corps. There is also Webb's "Philadelphia Brigade" in the Second Corps. Willard's Second Corps brigade was unfortunately known as the "Harper's Ferry Cowards," but they would shed that appellation after redeeming themselves at Gettysburg. Brewster's New York command was the "Excelsior Brigade." The "Regulars" was a familiar term that applied to both Regular infantry brigades in the Fifth Corps. Likewise the "Pennsylvania Reserves" applied to the two brigades of Fisher and McCandless, also of the Fifth Corps. I imagine Custer's all-Michigan cavalry brigade of "Wolverines" was widely known in the army.

Everyone is familiar with the "Iron Brigade" in the First Corps, and the "Irish Brigade" in the Second Corps. There is also Webb's "Philadelphia Brigade" in the Second Corps. Willard's Second Corps brigade was unfortunately known as the "Harper's Ferry Cowards," but they would shed that appellation after redeeming themselves at Gettysburg. Brewster's New York command was the "Excelsior Brigade." The "Regulars" was a familiar term that applied to both Regular infantry brigades in the Fifth Corps. Likewise the "Pennsylvania Reserves" applied to the two brigades of Fisher and McCandless, also of the Fifth Corps. I imagine Custer's all-Michigan cavalry brigade of "Wolverines" was widely known in the army.
The 13th PA Reserves (42nd PA Vol Inf Regt) were the original “Bucktails”. After Antietam then Maj Roy Stone, recruited 20 more companies of “Bucktails” These became the 149th and 150th PVI. Stone was commissioned Colonel of the 149th. In early 1863 both regiments were brigaded with the 143rd forming the “Bucktail Brigade”. Although the old veteran 13th PA Reserves called this new untried brigade “Bogus Bucktails”.

Last edited:
Please correct me if I am wrong. The regiments in the Philadelphia Brigade were the “California Regiments” right? That Edward Baker raised?

I have a few questions concerning that.

Were the men from California (although many would originally be from other states) and did Pennsylvania later adopt them?

Or were they California in name only?

What is the story behind the Philadelphia Brigade?

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik

Last edited:
Please correct me if I am wrong. The regiments in the Philadelphia Brigade were part of the garrison at Harper Ferry that surrendered in Sept 1862?

No, they weren't. They were the Second Brigade, Second Division, Second Corps and fought (it was more of a slaughter) in the West Woods with Sedgwick at Antietam.

Ryan

No, they weren't. They were the Second Brigade, Second Division, Second Corps and fought (it was more of a slaughter) in the West Woods with Sedgwick at Antietam.

Ryan
Thanks it just occurred to me (and I edited my original post) that I had the Philadelphia Brigade confused with the Harper Ferry Brigade. My apologies.

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik

Yeah!!!! I like to get rowdy too, but that is usually when the Bills are making a comeback, or the Orioles are rallying.

Well, well, well..............A Buffalo Bills Fan !!! I am a die hard Buffalo Bills fan. I have been pulling for them since 1969 !!! Looks as if we might have a descent year this year, but I think we are still a couple players away from thinking about the Super Bowl...........The Orioles, I can take or leave.............lol

Respectfully,
William

I can guess how they got their nickname, but from what battle?

Antietam. Not for stoic defense per se but Kimball's Brigade was among those troops assaulting the Bloody Lane. It refused to be beaten back, like the other brigades of the division were, and kept up a firing line until more reinforcements arrived. Afterwards the nickname was given by corps commander Edvin V. Sumner.

Well, well, well..............A Buffalo Bills Fan !!! I am a die hard Buffalo Bills fan. I have been pulling for them since 1969 !!! Looks as if we might have a descent year this year, but I think we are still a couple players away from thinking about the Super Bowl...........The Orioles, I can take or leave.............lol

Respectfully,
William
Yeah, they are coming around, I’m very pleased with how this season is going

Respectfully,
William
I love the Bills, and yearn for the 90s when they had a great team and coach. But I agree with you they are making progress.

Back