Died: January 12, 1885

Place of Death: San Antonio, Texas

Age at time of Death: 65 years old

Burial Place: Oakwood Cemetery, Austin, Texas

Grave Location: Section 1

Last edited by a moderator:
10/29/61 Date of rank as Col of 7th​ Tex Cav, Sibley's Bgde

9/12/62 Apptd BG

10/26/62 Holmes to Hindman-1st Army Corps, Trans-Miss Army: ... Fagan has been made a Brig Gen & must be put in command of an Arkansas Bgde, as I am ordered to Bgde the troops by States. I will order him to report to you. Steele & Hawes & Scurry have also been appointed. I shall want one of them to command in front of Helena. You can have the other two if you want them. They are all Cav officers, & have not yet arrived…

1/8/63 Assumed command of the Indian Territory by order of Gen Holmes

4/20/83 Assigned by Holmes to command of NW Ark

2/11/64 Special Orders #34/VII by K Smith
Gen William Steele, PA, C S, will report to Maj Gen Magruder, cdg District of Tex, &c for assignment to duty

3/11/64 Dist Hqs Houston to Magruder-Gen Steele is here. Where shall he be assigned?
3/18/64 Dist S O #78 Gen Wm. Steele is assigned to the defenses of Galveston [replacing Col Rainey/or J P Major]
Then served as Bgde cdr in Green's Cav Div during Red River campaign

Gen Wharton had been selected by Gen Taylor at Shreveport to succeed Green [killed 4/12] in the command of the Cav, though his formal appointment was not made till a few days later. He immediately offered me [Governor Lubbock] a position on his staff as AAG, with the rank of Lt-Col, which I gladly accepted. *''' *' Next to Tom Green, Wharton was thought to be the ablest Cav cdr in the Trans-Ms Dept. — Ed.

8/1/64 Magruder to Boggs-Gen Steele desires to command at Galveston if Gen Hawes indicates a desire to be relieved, though he has not applied for it.

8/2/64 Magruder to Boggs-Gen Hawes writes he would like to go back to his old command—does not like Cav. Gen Steele says Gen Walker offered him an Infy command—Gen Steele would be a very good cdr for Galveston. It is necessary to act promptly

8/9/64 Hqs Wharton's Cav Corps, Wharton to K Smith-I learned on yesterday morning, both from yourself & Gen Walker, that you desired Hardeman's & Lane's Bgdes of Cav (Maj's Div) to move to Ark on temporary duty under Brig Gen Bagby. Our interview was so short that there was only time for me to learn your wishes, without offering any suggestions, which I now do at the instance of Gen Walker, & also because I feel it to be my duty.
… I respectfully suggest that Parsons' Bgde & Harrison's Bgde, under Gen Steele (who is a good officer & familiar with the field of operations in Ark), may be ordered to that point. Parsons' Bgde (with Carter's Regt, now in Tex, which can reach Ark almost as soon as troops from here) is very full, & having operated in Ark would be more efficient there than any other troops of my command…

3/16/65 K Smith to R W Johnson CSA Senate-…urging his influence with the President regarding the appointment of more Gen'ls…

Maj Gen Wharton's Corps or Div
Brig Gen Steele, cdg Div Tex Cav of two Bgdes

3/30/65 Hqs Wharton's Cav Corps, Hempstead G O #25

Steele's Cav Corps [With Sword and Pen: 1491 Days in the Confederate Army-the order is shown as Steele's Div]

Lane's Bgde

21st​ Regt Tex Cav, Col Carter
Madison's Regt Tex Cav, Col Madison
Waller's Regt Tex Cav, Col Waller

Parsons' Bgde
30th​ Regt Tex Cav, Col Gurley
Morgan's Regt Tex Cav, Col Morgan
12th​ Regt Tex Cav
19th​ Regt Tex Cav, Col Watson

4/13/65 Gen Wm Steele requests to enlarge the Cav
5/4/65 Shreveport, K Smith-to Gen Wm Steele thru Gen Walker-Regarding your 4/13 request to enlarge the Cav…The Cav of this Dept is still too large & poses a burden on the Gov't & the people in excess of its efficiency. Appreciating your desire to render your command efficient, the request cannot be granted.

Back