Brig. Gen. Charles Devens and staff

34080v.jpg

Bvt. Maj. Gen. Charles Devens Jr. (1820-1891) was a Harvard-educated lawyer who began his war service in the 3rd Massachusetts Rifles and quickly gained command of the 15th MA Infantry. He commaned a number of brigades and divisions and was wounded several times. After the war he also served as U.S. Attorney General.

This picture was made in Richmond, VA in April 1865. Devens commanded the 3rd Div., XXIV Corps, which was among the first troops to occupy the city.

The officers are, left to right:

Cpt. Josiah L. Elder (40th MA)
Cpt. E. Parker Deacon (ADC)
Cpt. George A. Bruce (13th NH)
Cpt. George C. Wetherbee (ACS)
Gen. Devens
Cpt. John Brydon (Ordnance Officer)
Cpt. George W. Hooker (AAG, received Medal of Honor)
Surg. Abel C. Benedict (MD)
1Lt. William Ladd (13th NH, back)
Cpt. Unidentified (identified as the AQM though)

https://www.loc.gov/item/2013647584/
http://usahec.contentdm.oclc.org/cd...ection/p16635coll12/id/11825/show/11814/rec/2
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=5887118

Cpt. Deacon's sword and scabbard is almost as tall as he is. Great pic.

Charles Devens commanded the First Division of XI Corps at Chancellorsville. It was his command that held the far right of the Union line, when surprised by Jackson's troops pouring into their flank. Devens was at Hooker's Hq at the start, but rushed to the scene, and tried to rally his men. Shot from his horse, he remounted, and stayed with his men throughout the debacle -- only going to a field hospital after the fighting had died down. He later commanded a Division in the XVIII Corps at Petersburg, and still later, in XXIV Corps. USCT under his command were the first to enter Richmond in April 1865.
12575294834_467789b65d.jpg

Statue by Daniel Chester French in Worcester, Mass.​

Last edited:
Great Photo, question though, why do some of the gentleman have their hands in their top coats? I have seen this on many photos, but is there a reason? Or they just trying to get at their Snuff :smile:

Great Photo, question though, why do some of the gentleman have their hands in their top coats? I have seen this on many photos, but is there a reason? Or they just trying to get at their Snuff :smile:
Actually it didn't really originate from Napoleon, its goes back much further than that. It was simply a proper gesture at the time, a nice pose, much like holding your hands together or putting them in your pockets when having your photo taken today. Also, due to the long exposure times photographers tended to pose their subjects in whatever way they saw fit, so as to lessen any movement; they couldn't just pull out a camera and take a snapshot in an instant.

Actually it didn't really originate from Napoleon, its goes back much further than that. It was simply a proper gesture at the time, a nice pose, much like holding your hands together or putting them in your pockets when having your photo taken today. Also, due to the long exposure times photographers tended to pose their subjects in whatever way they saw fit, so as to lessen any movement; they couldn't just pull out a camera and take a snapshot in an instant.

Yes it does look quite proper. I can see the photographer now, "Ok group, I want you to pose like this, wait let me position you. I think a hand in the upper coat would look grand, now hold it for about 10 minutes so I can take the shot" :smile: They had to have a lot of patience in those days for photographs. I have to say it is always very interesting to see photos from that period and thru the years. Thanks for an explanation :smile:

Reactions: AUG
Is this the same Devins who goes to Gettysburg commanding Cavalry?

Due to his wounding (and possibly also the poor performance of his division) at Chancellorsville he remained out of the picture for the remainder of 1863; he was replaced by Francis Barlow at the head of his division before Gettysburg. Following the XI Corps' losses at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg and subsequent transfer to Chattanooga, it was merged with the remainder of the XII Corps to become the XX Corps under Joe Hooker for Sherman's Atlanta Campaign, leaving no place for Devins.

at Chancellorsville Howard asked to realign his command (refuse the line) Hooker said no, but along the road axis, Howard is allowed to modify it. What Howard came up with was one brigade facing along the road the next brigade looking up I. so on and so forth till the end brigade it was refused and facing Jackson's attack.

Back