Muzzleldrs Bridesburg 58cal Civil War Rifle

Pat H

Cadet
Hello,
I have several questions regarding this weapon. First, how long is the correct ram rod for the Bridesburg rifle, and did it have a threaded end to except tools?
Next how do you tighten loose rifle/barrel metal straps. I guess that the wood has shrunk but I'm not sure. Also, is there a company that sell the correct rear site for the Bridesburg rifle?
Pat H

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. The ramrod was threaded and should be 39.5. Below is a link to a company that can provide with what you need. I forgot to ask is it an 1861 or a 1863 modification? Photos would be helpful.

Last edited:
We need pics. There are several possible issues. They may not be the correct bands, wood may have shrunk etc.

I would invest in a bottle of Kramer’s Best and let it do it’s magic. Contact Lodgewood for the correct parts.

Hello,
I have several questions regarding this weapon. First, how long is the correct ram rod for the Bridesburg rifle, and did it have a threaded end to except tools?
Next how do you tighten loose rifle/barrel metal straps. I guess that the wood has shrunk but I'm not sure. Also, is there a company that sell the correct rear site for the Bridesburg rifle?
Pat H
Are you referring to the barrel bands ?
Yes

Hello,
I'm wondering what is the correct way to maintain a CW weapon. I recently acquired a Bridesburg rifle which is in poor condition. It has most of it's parts but could use a good cleaning. It has a rusty film over it. Is it ok to linseed oil the stock and oil the metal sections? Would this hurt the value?
Pat H

Hi Pat. I'll offer this article to get started... if there is anything there that our resident collectors/experts disagree with I hope they will be along to help us out.

We would love to see some photos of your Bridesburg. That way we can get a little deeper into helping clean and maintain.

Hello,
Pat H
Just a side note...I'm blessed that I own my great, great granddads. Bridesburg .58 cal. musket/rifle. It hadn't been fired since the ACW until about 8 years ago. Used a light load, but I still had a blast!

Back