Muzzleldrs Bridesburg 58cal Civil War Rifle

Pat H

Cadet
Hello,
I have several questions regarding this weapon. First, how long is the correct ram rod for the Bridesburg rifle, and did it have a threaded end to except tools?
Next how do you tighten loose rifle/barrel metal straps. I guess that the wood has shrunk but I'm not sure. Also, is there a company that sell the correct rear site for the Bridesburg rifle?
Pat H

ucvrelics

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. The ramrod was threaded and should be 39.5. Below is a link to a company that can provide with what you need. I forgot to ask is it an 1861 or a 1863 modification? Photos would be helpful.

Last edited:

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
We need pics. There are several possible issues. They may not be the correct bands, wood may have shrunk etc.

I would invest in a bottle of Kramer’s Best and let it do it’s magic. Contact Lodgewood for the correct parts.

Pat H

Cadet
Hello,
I have several questions regarding this weapon. First, how long is the correct ram rod for the Bridesburg rifle, and did it have a threaded end to except tools?
Next how do you tighten loose rifle/barrel metal straps. I guess that the wood has shrunk but I'm not sure. Also, is there a company that sell the correct rear site for the Bridesburg rifle?
Pat H
Are you referring to the barrel bands ?
Yes

Pat H

Cadet
Hello,
I'm wondering what is the correct way to maintain a CW weapon. I recently acquired a Bridesburg rifle which is in poor condition. It has most of it's parts but could use a good cleaning. It has a rusty film over it. Is it ok to linseed oil the stock and oil the metal sections? Would this hurt the value?
Pat H

BillH

Private
Hi Pat. I'll offer this article to get started... if there is anything there that our resident collectors/experts disagree with I hope they will be along to help us out.

ucvrelics

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
We would love to see some photos of your Bridesburg. That way we can get a little deeper into helping clean and maintain.

poorjack

Corporal
For heaven's sake, don't remove the patina and call it "cleaning". That WILL kill any collector value.