CWT Presents Brian Steel Wills - Inglorious Passages: Non-Combat Deaths In the American Civil War & Confederate General William Dorsey Pender: The Hope of Glory

Added to Calendar: 09/01/21

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1630117049729.png

Join us on Wednesday, September 1st at 8:30pm EDT when our guest, Brian Steel Wills, will discuss his two most recent books:

Inglorious Passages: Non-Combat Deaths in the American Civil War
Of the hundreds of thousands of soldiers who died in the Civil War, two-thirds, by some estimates, were felled by disease; untold others were lost to accidents, murder, suicide, sunstroke, and drowning. Utilizing letters, diaries, obituaries, and other accounts, eminent Civil War historian Brian Steel Wills relays the powerful and poignant stories of fatal accidents and encounters and collateral civilian deaths that occurred in the factories and fields of the Union and the Confederacy from 1861 to 1865. Inglorious Passages: Noncombat Deaths in the American Civil War demonstrates that, for those who served and those who supported them, noncombat fatalities were as significant as battle deaths in impressing the full force of the American Civil War on the people called upon to live through it.

Confederate General William Dorsey Pender: The Hope of Glory
In this thorough biography of Pender, noted Civil War historian Brian Steel Wills examines both the young general's military career and his domestic life. Pender had an insatiable quest for "glory" in both earthly and heavenly realms, and he delighted in his role as a husband and father. In Pender's voluminous correspondence with his wife, Fanny, he shared his beliefs and offered views and opinions on a vast array of subjects. In the end, Wills suggests that Pender's story captures both the idealistic promise and the despair of a war that cost the lives of many Americans and changed the nation forever.

****REGISTER TO RESERVE YOUR SEAT****

Last edited:

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Is this still on or has it been canceled? @lelliott19
Rescheduled. Most likely to Sept 1. Still working out the details.

This week, August 25th, we will have Ronald S. Coddington with some great CW images and a story about 12 soldiers who signed a 'compact' while they were being treated together at a York, PA hospital.

Rescheduled. Most likely to Sept 1. Still working out the details.

This week, August 25th, we will have Ronald S. Coddington with some great CW images and a story about 12 soldiers who signed a 'compact' while they were being treated together at a York, PA hospital.
Thanks. Also thanks for working on these...we have had some really good programs. I know it is a lot of work. I am looking forward to Brian Steel Wills but the 12 soldiers who signed the compact sounds intriguing!

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I am looking forward to Brian Steel Wills but the 12 soldiers who signed the compact sounds intriguing!
As soon as I confirm a reschedule date with Brian, Ill post it up. In the meantime, the story that Ron is bringing is fascinating and the images that go with it are amazing! I know you will enjoy it! Hope to see you tomorrow night.

VaMtLady

Private
Can't wait. I always tell people if they have a chance to hear him to take it. First heard him at the Virginia Tech Civil War Weekend, and several times since. Always enjoy him. I had hoped that he would take Dr. Bud Roberson's place at VT, but that didn't happen.