Breakfast In Richmond This Morning. Look what I found!

Robert was there

View attachment 94983

So was Stonewall

View attachment 94984

Davis was holding court. View attachment 94987

View attachment 94991

J.E.B was right where he was suppose to be, on Lee's Left flank.

View attachment 94992

View attachment 94995

I stopped by the Whitehouse, but Jeff was busy.

View attachment 94996

The tour was awesome. No photo's allowed. It's a pity. All in all a great breakfast. JEB was a little annoying. He's such a one upper. Lol
Great pics. Nice weather too. We drove Monument Avenue at night when I was there in January. That was kinda neat too.

Did the Sergaent Major give you the White House tour...? We had him as our guide when there in 2014 and he was terrific! He might be retired now... not sure.
He was there in January when I visited. There were only about 6 of us on the tour that morning. It was great.

Richmond traffic has its congestion spots and quirks like most any metro city will habitually have.... Its the usual checkerboard grid.... many of the older East-West main street routes will be alternating directions.... ran EMS in Richmond for over a decade... quickly learned the shortcuts, bypasses, and where not to be at given times of the day or night...lol.... and how to dodge about the traffic to get where I needed to get... Washington DC or Baltimore are twenty times worse than Richmond ever could be...

Some areas are more feasible on foot, if multiple targets are within close range..... Many things of interest around Richmond are scattered about... Some areas are ok for bikes... others not so much due to the narrow roads and hasty traffic flows.... especially downtown areas.... I know the area well and not sure I would risk it....lol..

I usually tell folks to have a plan of action when you go there... Point to point staying on the primary roads.... If one likes to drift around with the flow randomly exploring and looking about for things of interest, it can quickly get you lost or accidently caught in the undertow into areas you don't want to be in.... In just a few blocks the environment can change rather drastically in some parts.... Travel about with a group, be aware of your surroundings at all times.... same format with most cities these days...

In September 2009 on our last morning in Richmond we drove to Monument Avenue, parked the car and walked taking loads of photos of the statues. When it was time to go we got back in the car and I promptly drove straight into the back of the car parked in front and caused a few bumps both to the parked car and the rental, more noise than damage, so I got out to have a look while my wife put her face in her hands and shrunk in the seat in embarrassment. A guy came out of the building, looked at the car, looked at me, shook his head and asked me what happened and when I started to speak he caught the accent and told me that "You English are all bad drivers" which of course I agreed with. Anyway he asked how the vacation was going and after a conversation about all the places we had been to and where we were going I asked what he wanted to do about the car and he just shrugged and said it was an old car and not to worry as a few more dents wouldn't matter. I thanked him profusely and, carefully, drove away. It was only a while later that I thought I wonder if that was the car's owner, I hadn't asked and he hadn't actually said that it was his, nice guy anyway. Surprisingly, Hertz weren't bothered either.
P1030906.JPG
P1030900.JPG
P1030914.JPG

In September 2009 on our last morning in Richmond we drove to Monument Avenue, parked the car and walked taking loads of photos of the statues. When it was time to go we got back in the car and I promptly drove straight into the back of the car parked in front and caused a few bumps both to the parked car and the rental, more noise than damage, so I got out to have a look while my wife put her face in her hands and shrunk in the seat in embarrassment. A guy came out of the building, looked at the car, looked at me, shook his head and asked me what happened and when I started to speak he caught the accent and told me that "You English are all bad drivers" which of course I agreed with. Anyway he asked how the vacation was going and after a conversation about all the places we had been to and where we were going I asked what he wanted to do about the car and he just shrugged and said it was an old car and not to worry as a few more dents wouldn't matter. I thanked him profusely and, carefully, drove away. It was only a while later that I thought I wonder if that was the car's owner, I hadn't asked and he hadn't actually said that it was his, nice guy anyway. Surprisingly, Hertz weren't bothered either.View attachment 95100 View attachment 95101 View attachment 95102
That's a funny story.

Great post War Horse ! Thank you for sharing them. Say Davis was busy ? or was he having one of his bad health days ? Or is it possible you and him are on terms such as Davis and Joe Johnston ?...............lol

View attachment 95174
Respectfully,
William
Never thought of it that way. You may very well be on to something there :O o:

I meant as far as traffic goes. Hartford is probably a wonderful city, if you could ever get off the blankadeblank freeway!

Really? Did they talk about Mary? Did they have her picture up? Cool!
Yes, they discussed her at length. About her close relationship with Varina and how she remained behind and was there when Lincoln entered the house. She brought him a glass of water.

They used her photo as a prop. The one you use for your avatar.

Last edited:
Shhhhhhh: They're still looking for the body :devilish:

The story has something to do with an over-aggressive, disagreeable tourist getting into my "personal circle" and becoming, umm, intimately acquainted with the blunt end of my closed umbrella.
Good for you!

Back