• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!
  • The Event Wire - Information
    ► This Forum is for Posting Civil War Event Information
    ► Events Could Include: Reenactments, Living Histories,
        Round Tables, Battlewalks, Shows, Lectures & More
    ► Post Advance Schedules Up to 1 Year in Advance
    ► Also: Post Your Event Photos, Reviews, & Wrap-Ups
    Please Keep Reenactment Discussions in Proper Forum!

Breakers Interstate, KY Event?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Sagebrush

Corporal
Does anyone know about an event to be held in late June, I think, at a place called the Breakers Interstate? If so, any details would be appreciated, including the date. Thanks!

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I checked Break's site for events for 2012. As of yet they don't have all events listed. I will continue to check as like to know what our Kentucky State Parks are holding for the year.

Breaks Interstate Park is also referred to as "Grand Canyon of the South". It is located in southeastern Kentucky and southwestern Virginia at the northeastern terminus of Pine Mountain. It is administered as a state park by the states of Kentucky and Virginia and is one of two interstate parks in United States.

The Breaks is the deepest gorge east of the Mississippi River. American frontiersman, Daniel Boone is credited with being the first person of European descent to discover the Breaks in 1767.

It is a beautiful area and well worth a visit.

Sagebrush

Corporal
Thanks for your reply, Donna. Yes, I checked the Break's 2012 Schedule, myself prior to posting with no updates as yet. I'm sure they'll be posting soon. Thanks, again!

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I just found a news release about an event at Breaks Park. It was published Dec. 30, 2011 by the Medical Leader Pikeville, Ky. It is at:

http://www.medicalleader.org/pmc_news.html?id=3146

It is about speakers on Jan 14, 2012 at the Breaks Conference Center. It isn't much advance notice. One of the speakers is Brian McKnight author of "Contested Borerlands".

If you want to know more, the article says contact Austin Bradley at 276-210-4655.

coltshooter1

Sergeant
There is also a reenactment in May at Elkhorn City, Ky. Its a few miles from the Breaks and is on the 26 and 27 of May, Memorial Day weekend.
Also in April on the 20 to 22 there is a reenactment at Tazewell, VA,

Sagebrush

Corporal
Donna,
Are you refering to details about Mossy Creek or Elkhorn City?
Elkhorn City - May 25-27, 2012 ("Bushwacking on the Russell Fork") It is always held over Memorial Day weekend. It is a relatively small event in a small town but it is one of the more enjoyable events and people in that town treat the reenactors like royalty. Dennis Boggs is typically there to do his Lincoln portrayal. The uniqueness of this event is that the skirmishes take place primarily on an island connected by a small bridge over the river. There are typically hundreds of spectators who line up along the highway watching the action. We also have a couple of memorials at gravesites for Civil War soldiers buried in the immediate area.
This link is from last year's event, but will give you a sense of the event. http://www.elkhorncity.org/node/249

The Department of East Tennessee to host The Battle of Mossy Creek, June 29-July 1, 2012. Event to be held at the River Glen Equestrian Park in New Market, Tennessee, nestled in the scenic mountains of Eastern Tennessee along the banks of the Holston River. It is comprised of 200 acres of privately owned land. The topography includes hills, woodlands, pastures and river bottom. Frontage along the Holston River and a spring which flows out near the top of a hill and follows a springbed into the river are also very significant features of the property. Amenities includes the use of stalls for the horses, plenty of water, hay & straw, firewood. Bounty of $150 for the first 4 cannons if they are full scale. Bounty of $100 If they are mountain howitzers. We only need 4 cannons total. $5 pre-registration fee. $10 after May 1st. $50 sutlers fee. As a matter of policy, the DET will be giving 10% of its proceeds to various Civil War organizations at the events we host. Pre-registration rosters and payment should be directed to: River Glen Equestrian Park - 1839 London Rd -New Market, TN 37820, Attention: Bill Graves http://www.river-glen.com/. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions. [email protected]