• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Sweet Baked Goods Bread and Butter Pudding

bread and butter pudding. - no. 557.
(from The Cook's Oracle: And Housekeeper's Manual, by William Kitchiner, 1822)

Ingredients:

1 oz. currants​
very thin bread​
butter​
4 eggs​
4 oz. sugar​
1 drachm nutmeg​
1 pint new milk​

Instructions:

You must have a dish that will hold a quart, wash and pack two ounces of currants; strew a few at the bottom of the dish; cut about four layers of very thin bread and butter, and between each layer of bread and butter strew some currants; then break four eggs in a basin, leaving out one white; beat them well, and add four ounces of sugar and a drachm of nutmeg; stir it well together with a pint of new milk; pour it over about ten minutes before you put it in the oven, it will take three quarters of an hour to bake.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is recipe for a variation of Bread Custard or Pudding.

Cinnamon Bread Custard

14 slices cinnamon bread, 1/2 inch thick
6 eggs
3 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
3 cups milk
2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla
powdered sugar

Arrange bread in a double boiler in a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Cut bread as needed to cover bottom of pan. Whisk together eggs, egg yolks and sugar. Gradually add milk, half and half and vanilla. Pour mixture over the bread. Bake in 375 degrees oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.

That's 'cause you didn't offer any to us!!!!!!!!! :spin:
I made one once that had strawberry jam spread on top after it was baked and then meringue on top of the jam. It was TOOOOO sweet by far. Sounded good and looked great, but cloyingly sweet.

The best bread pudding I have ever eaten (and I have traveled through the South on a town-by-town search for bread pudding and gumbo) was in Loreauville, LA, in a little converted gas station that was the most popular place in town. No raisins...toasted pecans instead....and the most delightful meringue with a light, not-too-sweet almond-flavored custard sauce on top.

I'm so sorry I read this thread.

Back