Braze repair on nipple- historical or...

Garandguy

Private
I have a full length 1853 Enfield barrel, with lots of rifling, and both sights attached, but the nipple has been braised into place, and is now too beaten up to be functional. Is there a solution to restoring this- grind off the brass and build up welded material around the bolster, then tap to 5/16-18?

Photos would be helpful.

In my experience, I have seen numerous nipples both brazed and welded into place. In every instance it was because the threads were either blown out, or worn out, and would not hold a nipple in place. There are solutions for this, but this case scenario is most likely what you are going to be dealing with.
J.

What I did one time with an US 1861 original barrel was I had the bolster sleeved, and the sleeve was then cut with new 5/16 x 24 threads. I never trusted it though and never used it. I envisioned the cone flying out of there and embedding itself in my forehead. So for me...no thanks. In general, a good policy is to carefully clean/preserve original artifacts and only live fire reproductions.

Photos would be helpful.
I should have included pictures from the start...

bolster2.jpg

bolster1.jpg

What I did one time with an US 1861 original barrel was I had the bolster sleeved, and the sleeve was then cut with new 5/16 x 24 threads. I never trusted it though and never used it. I envisioned the cone flying out of there and embedding itself in my forehead. So for me...no thanks. In general, a good policy is to carefully clean/preserve original artifacts and only live fire reproductions.
I also had a nipple fly by my ear and have never fired another original since:cold:

I'm thinking loads with no shot or bullet, essentially "blanks", for any of these old guns. Just too many unknowns. But I'd like to get it to the point where it can pop a cap and give a good kaboom...
I also had a nipple fly by my ear and have never fired another original since:cold:
I agree, powder and paper only, no bullet of any kind...

That old gal looks more beat up than my original guns, I only do blanks out of most of my originals anyway so I'd second that one

Eliminate the risk to life and limb to you and others.

1) Go to the N-SSA forums (see sticky, top of page) and
2) look for one of the 'shooter' Enfield barrels (like those offered by Parker Hale UK in the 1970s).
3)The N-SSA folks will be able to tell you if the safe 20th century barrel can be swapped out 1:1 with your original.

IMHO, the old Dixie Gun Works "...fire it in a tire method..." is a good way to damage or break the stock. Remember, when Turner Kirkland wrote this these "old guns" weren't worth nearly as much as they are today!
J.

Back