Bragg Braxton Bragg, "Hero of the war."

speedylee

Corporal
Some time back, better than a year I believe, I posted a reply (on what topic I don't recall) which included the fact that one soldier in the Army of Tennessee wrote a letter home and referred to Braxton Bragg as the "hero of the war," after the battle of Chickamauga. I was challenged to provide the source for my assertion. Last night I was searching for something else and I came upon my note. The letter was written by Alabamian James Hall to his father, Bolling Hall Sr. It was dated September 30, 1863 and can be found in the Hall Family Papers at the Alabama Department of Archives and History.

I am sorry that I do not now recall who wanted the source all that time ago. I am writing this post in hopes that the right person sees it. If I have posted this in the wrong location, I apologize to the administers of the site. My goal is to answer the question for the person who asked.

I write with best regards to all.

I'm replying here to "bump" the thread more than anything else. My great grandfather had two brothers who served under Bragg. They loved him as a commander.

Whether he was the "hero of the War" is an entirely different question and I doubt it, but someone smarter than me may answer.

I'm replying here to "bump" the thread more than anything else. My great grandfather had two brothers who served under Bragg. They loved him as a commander.

Whether he was the "hero of the War" is an entirely different question and I doubt it, but someone smarter than me may answer.
Thanks for the reply!
To be clear, I don't call Bragg the hero of the war. A soldier in his command did so in a letter.

What regiment did your ancestors who served under Bragg serve in?

Back