• Streight's Alabama Raid

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ami

First Lady of CivilWarTalk
Super Moderator
brass-napoleon-icon-jpg.jpg

Please vote for the one you think most deserves this award!
About the Award
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forrest during Hood's retreat

Forrest's Farewell Address to His Troops

Forrest's Cannae - The Battle of Brice's Crossroads, June 10, 1864

Forrest's 2nd West Tennessee Raid - "Cattle Raid"

Streight's Alabama Raid

I've gone with the 'farewell speech', just because I find words in general so meaningful, and those words in particular. The discussion around whether he wrote it is not so significant to me as the sentiments it carried, and I doubt they were anyone's but Forrest's. It was a magnanimous speech and the promise it held I believe was sincere at the time.

I totally agree, although I finally decided to go with Brice's Crossroads. A classic textbook example of the double-envelopment. Still studied and taught by the military even today.

That was one of the babies, for sure! There are great reasons to choose any of them...but that relevance to current study is a biggie.

Bumping just because. I realize many of you have nearby battlefields to roam, or other fun things to do. Me? I'm pretty much stuck in the house and yard, and summer is coming on (limits those hours in Central Texas!), so...here's a great smorgasbord of past threads nominated for the Brass Napoleon Award. I miss my friend. I miss many of our old friends we made here long ago. Reading these will make you think--hopefully pick up a book or two if you don't have it--and maybe smile or laugh a bit.

Civilwartalk is our refuge in times like these!

Back